|

Sunset at Point Iroquois

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:56 pm

After the cruise last month I stayed a night in sault Ste. Marie. After a great dinner of fajitas at the palace saloon, I decided on a whim to head out to Point Iroquois and try my luck for a sunset. Unfortunately due to the trees around the lighthouse itself, it was not parctical to shoot the sunset behind the tower, so I went to the beach and did my best. Here's as close as I could get the lighthouse to the sunset.

Not bad, but I also got some good shots without the lighthouse.

As the sun was about gone I saw a freighter WAY out on the horizon downbound towards the Soo. I knew it would be well past dark before the ship would be close, so I decided to shoot it at 1,200mm on the horizon. I think this looks kinda cool. As it turns out, this is the Charles M. Beeghly, which I had photographed at sunrise that morning loading ore at Marquette. It's pretty cool that I shot her twice in one day approximately 150 miles apart.

And just for comparison, shots 1 & 3 are slides, 2 & 4 are digitals.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:11 pm

It's a shame the trees prevent you from silhouetting the light, but you still got to enjoy and shoot a beautiful sunset.

The difference between 1 & 3 shot on slide film (Velvia?) and 2 shot with a digital is significant. What post processing was done on #2 if I might ask.

Beautiful evening. Thanks for sharing.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:47 pm

For low light, the slide shots win hands down IMO, Hersh.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:06 pm

Gary Martin wrote:For low light, the slide shots win hands down IMO, Hersh.

Absolutely. I find the side by side comparison to be more dramatic than I even expected. My film camera is in the bag along with my new digital, a place I don't think it's going to lose any time soon.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby beachbum1616 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:28 am

The slide film did produce better colors for you. I was wondering why there was so much of a difference between the coloring of 1 & 2.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:28 am

Mike,

The first two photos are very impressive - what distinct contrasts in both photos. The darkness and color play off each other in very dramatic ways.

Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:38 am

There wasn't any processing done on #2, I just picked my white balance when I opened the NEF file. I might have bumped the saturation a bit, I can't remember. I don't do much with my images; if they're no good as they are I don't mess with them too much.

I enjoy shooting slides and digital at the same time so I can compare the two. Here's a couple of comparison shots from my visit to Cape Henry last year.

http://www.lighthousing.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4380

My current opinion is that I love digital, but it's major limitation is low light photography. So I always keep a supply of Velvia 50 in the bag with the F5.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:09 am

Mike,

Thank you for posting your last years visit to Cape Henry. I learned a bit looking at the pictures side by side. I also agree with the comments you made.

Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Jen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:29 am

Mike, I love the first image in this series. I don't know if you get Outdoor Photographer, but there is a really interesting article in this month's (Sept) issue about bringing out color with curves in Photoshop. It's titled, "Finishing The Passion: Use Curves Adjustment Layers to get the most out of your digital images". I haven't tried it yet, but I will be sure to post an example when I do. I'm excited to try this technique to see how well it works, not knowing much about curve adjustments.
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 am

Out of curiosity, Hersh, what were the iso and EV settings on your D70 when those digitals were shot? I've generally found with the D2H that I get color saturation that better matches Velvia/Provia 100-F when I set the camera to -0.7 EV (Mine stays there 100% of the time). On the whole though, my strong preference for low light is film.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:36 pm

For #2 I was at ISO 200 -1.6 ev, exposure of 1/320 at f9. For #4 I was cranked up to ISO 1,600 due to the long focal length and I didn't bother with compensation since that was more of a snapshot.

I try to underexpose by -.3 or .7 most of the time, but I tend to experiment a lot, so it varies.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby tekkybob » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:29 pm

The colors bring out the subjects. Rather than one thing I find myself looking at both the subject and the sunset around it. They look great as always Hersh.
tekkybob
Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography