|

Marquette moonrise

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:02 am

The flide vs. digital talk in my Point Iroquois thread caused me to look at my shots taken the night before in Marquette. On this evening I went for a sunset, but found that there was no way to shoot it from behind the light. So I waited and lo and behold, the moon rose right behind the lighthouse!! I shot digitals to check my metering and see what kind of an exposure difference there was between the moon and the rest of the scene. (Moon photography is very difficulty to meter peoperly) The slides were what I was really counting on for the "keepers" of the group.

I'll let you guys guess which ones you think are digitals and which are slides. There are three of each. (No cheating for those of you who know how to look at EXIF)

There first ones were taken when there was still some light in the sky, and even a touch of color.

And these were during the blue hour...

Gary, if you miss any of these I'll be disaappointed...
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Jen » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:22 am

Nice shots, Mike! I know which was which, but I will let others give their input. I really like the #2 pano and the first blue hour shot. Great composition on both! I struggle with shooting the moon. :wink:
Jen
Assistant Inspector

Postby Rob143 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:11 am

Jen wrote:I know which was which, but I will let others give their input.

Come on Jen, don't be bashful, do tell. :wink:
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:28 pm

I have a lot of throwaway moon shots as well, but having the digital has really allowed me to improve in that area. Nothing like instant feedback...
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby TWolfe » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:31 pm

Very cool! I especially like the 2nd and 3rd photos. # 3 looks like one of the slides.

Tammy
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby tekkybob » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:33 pm

I thought the last picture with the reflections of the moons was excellent. It seems to add a dimension to the photo that you dont ordinarily see. I like that aspect of photography, where your eyes get filled with dimensions. And think, I cant find the viewfinder on mine sometimes. 8O
tekkybob
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:48 pm

Exposure-wise, the 3rd shot has the best exposure of the moon in terms of detail and also the best color saturation. The last one with the reflection on the water needed an ND grad (actually probably a reverse ND grad) to keep from burning out the details on the moon.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:08 pm

I thought about using a grad on the last shot, but I was afraid that the step would be visible in the sky, so I decided against it.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:24 pm

With a 2 stop reverse ND grad, Hersh, you'd have the line at the waterline, 2 stops right there fading to nothing at the top... That should let you preserve the detail in the moon without burning it out. I think the only way to get that right by using a reverse ND grad.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:11 am

Mike,

Hard to choose but I kinda want to go with the third one becasue of the features ... the "man in moon" ... that are visible as well as the gradation in color from the water blue to the seting sky purples to the higher sky blues ...

From the "blue hour" ... without herons ... the fourth is damn good as well.

Question if I may ... how far to the left and how far out would you have had to wade to get the rising moon (which now would have been on the left) and a more frontal view of the tower?

Thanks as always for sharing ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Ross » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:33 am

Mike, do you use hard or soft grad? It shouldn't be visible in the final product. I've had some trying times with Moon shots, difficult to get the detail with the bright light. The early full moon seems to be the easiest.
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:09 pm

Gary, putting the grad on the water line would have affected the lighthouse building the same as the moon, which would have defeated my purpose. Of course that's using my standard grads, I don't have a reverse. Are those the ones that are ND on the ends and clear in the middle, or the other way around?

Barry, to get the moon in front of the tower I'd have been wading hundreds of yards out into Lk. Superior. and I'm guessing that would have put me over 50-60 feet of water.

Ross, I have a 2 stop soft and a 3 stop hard right now. I agree that if you're going to shoot the full moon you need to do it when it's still very low in the sky. After it gets up and into clearer air, the exposure difference is just too great. Like this one:

This is just the worst of the keepers. The moon is still blown out with no detail, and the lighthouse is barely there. I have several slides that show a big dark frame with a perfect little moon in it. There's just no way to get the good detail in the moon and the lighthouse without some serious filtration.

By the way, images # 1,2 & 4 are digitals;, 3, 5 & 6 are slides.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:17 pm

Mike...

A reverse ND grad, like all graduated filters, are clear at the bottom, however at their horizontal middle start very abruptly with either a 1, 2 or 3 stops of neutral density and then graduate to 1 or 2 stops towards the top of the filter.

That description was taken from midway down this page:

http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:01 pm

Speaking of slides v digital, I found out the other day that no one in Australia processes slide film any more. It has to be sent overseas somewhere in Asia.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Hersh, your photos have improved heaps in the past few years.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Lighthouse Photography