|

It never gets old

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:56 pm

I've seen a lot of sunsets, but it never gets old to photograph a lighthouse against the backdrop of one of nature's most beautiful displays. So with that on my mind, about two weeks ago I headed up to St. Joe in the hopes of some photos of that very thing. I haven't been doing much photography at all since the boys were born, (except for shots of them) so I'm trying to keep my chops up.

Thankfully I was blessed with a very nice sky when I arrived. Of course, by the time I arrived the sun was just blinking under the horizon due to the lateness of my decision to make the trip... Anyway, here's some of what I got.

This is a digital shot of the first thing I saw when I came up over the bluff. Leah, I shot this from right around the same place Gary and I were shooting the time you were up here.

And this is a Velvia 50 slide of the exact same scene. All I did here was move a couple feet to the side and recompose, I left the lens on the tripod and switched bodies. I'd say there wasn't more than 30-45 seconds between the two shots. I love my digital, but sometimes there's just no substitute for Fuji's finest.

You can see what's left of the winter ice at the base of the tower. It was probably gone within a few days of my taking this.

This is another reason to love slides....

This was pretty late in the evening, the sun was long gone, and I used the digital to do some long exposure work. (20 sec f10 ISO 200) I was very pleased with the starburst from the outer light, which was what I was trying to do by stopping down the aperture.

I was actually planning to post these last week when i got my slides back, but it just never quite happened. Better late than never I guess. I hope you guys enjoy them.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:07 pm

Mike ...

Thanks for the reminders of the sunsets on the lake ... it always puts me in awe the bands of colors, the layers, that are captured ... some of the later ones appear almost to be full breadth, non-arced rainbows ...

Vicariously I was there ... thanks again!
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby TWolfe » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:13 pm

Beautiful photos. I'm surprised there is still ice on the tower. I especially like the panoramic photos and the last one. Thanks for sharing them.
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby Rob143 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:26 pm

You had another great evening on the lake Mike. I like the long exposure on the last one. It smoothed out the lake and gave you a nice flat surface for the reflection from the outer light.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Biggy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Nice shots, Mike! I especially like that last one as well. There's no doubt the difference between digital and Velvia. But done right, you can get spectacular shots with both. You did just that. Awesome!
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:17 am

Mike, I halfway expected to see my silhouette somewhere in the shadows....

Thanks for the lovely shots! I never get tired of seeing this view.
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby WisKeeper » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:46 pm

Beautiful Mike, just beautiful!!!!
Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
WisKeeper
Head Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography