|

That's what I'm talkin about !!

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:31 pm

Well, since I was shut out when looking for a gale last week, I've been keeping an eye on the forecast, and as Rob pointed out, it was looking too good to miss this morning. The forecast was for 35 mph winds gusting, and wave heights reaching 14' around the Holland - Grand Haven area. So what did I do? Of course I took the day off and sped up to the lakeshore.

I started off at Grand Haven, since the wave map showed this as the best looking place based on wave location and direction. Man was I happy !! This was by far the best storm I've ever had at Grand Haven.

And after shooting there and grabbing some lunch I ventured to South Haven. Not as good as Grand Haven, but there were a few waves that were spectacular. This was one of them.

Finally I had to stop at St. Joe on the way home to see what was cooking there, and I found this kind of thing going on.

I haven't sorted through all the files yet, and it's time to feed the boys, so maybe in a few days I'll pick out some I like better than these, but it's at least a taste for now.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:01 pm

Like a kid in a candy store ... thanks for sharing!
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby TWolfe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:07 pm

That second shot looks like there is a lot of sand being churned up by the waves. I really like the third one. It's nice you had another chance to get out an photograph some lighthouses.
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby Biggy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Damn, those are awesome! I must feel really good to take a day off from work on the spot and get stuff like that. I only hope that when I take the days off from work to visit that area, I get the same treatment! LOL :lol:

Great stuff, Mike.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:03 am

You did have a good outing! I think I like the first one the best, though.

Cool shots. I can't wait until I get a chance to take some shots like that.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:39 pm

Yes, it was like being in a candy store. Of course most candy stores don't have 50 mph gusts carrying sand and snow, but those are the kind I like best. I'm glad you all like these, hopefully I'll find a few more winners in the mix once I get sorting.

While I was out at Grand Haven I drove from the Grand Haven side to the Ferrysburg side to try a different perspective. (nothing like driving 15 minutes to recompose your shot) While I was crossing the bridge I saw one of my favorite things, a big ol' freighter. I could tell that it was the Earl W., (formerly the Earl W. Oglebay until it was sold last year.) Since the waves were still hitting hard I didn't stop right then, but I came back a while later and shot it from the docks where Gary, Toni Lankerd, and I shot the Agawa Canyon a couple years ago. I also shot one or two from the bridge over the river. I don't think it's legal to stop on a freeway bridge to take pictures of a big boat, but hey, it only took a second. Anyway, here are a couple shots of the Earl W.

From boatnerd.com
Grand Haven - Dick Fox
The Earl W. came into port Tuesday night with a load for Verplank's dock in Ferrysburg. It was still tied up, with boom secured, Wednesday morning as the winds appeared to be too strong for a backing out departure. The Oglebay was painted out and the stacks are now painted black.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:46 pm

Hersh wrote:So what did I do? Of course I took the day off and sped up to the lakeshore.

There was only one thing to do. You were well rewarded during this day on the lake. I'd love to see a shot of St Joe out of that series with the outer light completely shrouded by water. I'm glad I got to see those lights for myself last year. Your shots are as close to being there as I'll get for a little while.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:31 pm

Since you asked Rob, I looked and it happened a few times. This shot is the same wave above, just a few frames later.

Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:19 am

Good job, Mike!!!! Excellent wave action! :yay: :mrgreen:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:46 am

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! Thank you again for a chance to go back there, even if only through your lense for now.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography