|

Easter Wknd Trip in the "you'll get lost for sure"

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Seasentinel » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:36 pm

It was snowing here in Northern VA when we left for our trip last Saturday morning :? We decided to go to Sandy Hook first because the weather forecast were calling for rain in southern NJ but partly sunny in the northern part. I'd set out with all the directions printed up from each lighthouse depending on what we did prior to my decision to go to Sandy Hook first. We got to Sandy Hook fine and what a rare treat...it was open for tours!! :D and FREE!! The volunteers there were very nice and they have a museum set up with great displays...awesome job done there. Anyway went to the top and got to be right there with the lens!! It was cold as heck there and overcast so pics arent what we hoped.

Then we went up to Navesink and climbed the north tower. Didnt get many pics there...lighting just wasnt good. We set off next to SeaGirt Lighthouse. What a trip. We followed 36 which disappeared in the second town...the road just ended at a T. This continued to happen till we finally got into SeaGirt amazingly and found the street the lighthouse was off of. After taking pics that is when I realized I didnt bring the right stack of directions to our hotel in Millville :(. All attempts to the hotel were unsuccessful. We were trying to make it to Millville in order to get sunset shots at East Point...we had plenty of time as it was only 3:30 at this point. It was a horror story trying to find Garden State Pkwy. Besides being lost we hadnt eaten since 7:30 that morning and didnt want to stop anywhere to get anything for fear of getting lost even more.

About an hour later we got on the parkway and set off to get off what our exit. I'd finally got in touch with the hotel after we got on the pkwy :(. Well then the car was on E and we had 4 miles to go to the exit. Got off the exit and no gas station in site...now the car was below E :(. About 4 miles up the road a Sunoco!! 8O .

We got to the hotel by 6:40 pm...should've been there by 5 had we not gotten lost. We had to quick hurry if we wanted sunset shots. We set off with the directions the hotel gave us and guess what?? WE GOT LOST! The sunset was so beautiful as we hunted in vain :(. We saw a lady in her yard and asked her directions. She told us and we set off about 2 miles down the road. We drove down a long road which she said would bring us to East Point Rd......got to the end and NOTHING but an old marina with no lighthouse in sight. I called my friend and asked her to google map us the directions. I told her I dont know where I am other then Matt's Landings in Heislersville and we need to get to East Point. The road the lady sent us to was totally wrong so we wasted so much time and missed sunset. We didnt get back to the hotel till 9 and hoped to get to eat at the restaurant there..walked over and guess what it's closed even though the hours on the door say open till 11. We had to drive up the next exit from the hotel...exhausted, frustrated, zombified and starving to the Cumberland Mall.

We got to bed at 11:45 and got up at 5:40 for sunrise shots at East point. It was so cold there and the winds had to of been 40 mph..made it feel like it was in the teens. We couldnt stay out long and would get in and out of the car taking breaks from taking pics. We went back to the hotel, had breakfast, checked out and headed to Cape May and Hereford. Didnt get lost there...got some pics in the freezing cold, tried to find a place to eat but everything was closed. Got to Wildwood and found a hotel open with food. After lunch at 2 :( went to Hereford. Again lighting was bad..sun in and out of clouds. Toured the lighthosue and set off to the Cape May Lewes Ferry. We got some shots of the Delaware lighthouses and a few Northern Gannets that were flying off the back of the ferry..what a treat!

Once in Lewes with only an atlas we didnt get lost at all....unlike in NJ..mainly because they mark the roads with SIGNS so you know where you are and tell you well in advance !

Anyway sorry for the story but it was something I felt compelled to tell because I've never experienced anything like that road trip ever before!

So without further adue here are some pics and others can be seen here:

http://flaminbird.smugmug.com/gallery/2690223#142458655

http://projectgangreen.smugmug.com/gall ... #142512548

Last edited by Seasentinel on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seashore lover since I was 4
Seasentinel
Keeper

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:57 pm

Michelle, those are wonderful shots! Sorry for your problems, but glad you got to have a new adventure!!!! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Seasentinel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:59 am

Thanks Leah! Yeah it sure was an adventure. I had just got a new camera and it had some problems with color and then Tuesday it broke!! Sucks because I have to return it and they won't have a new one out to send to me by April 20th when we go to the OBX for 4 days. So I had to buy another one then get a refund for the one I sent back. I only had the camera for 7 days. :(. It's a Rebel Xti
Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seasentinel
Keeper

Postby rocky5128 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:25 pm

That sounds like the kind of trips that I have! :lol: I plan my trips and I always forget my directions to at least 1 or 2 lights. Some times I find the lights accidently, or I found that I skipped going through a town with one in it when I get home. If I don't make at least 30 '3-point turns' in a lighthouse trip, I am surprised. It does make the trips interesting.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Biggy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:37 pm

Nice shots, Michelle ... And what's this about getting lost? All you have to do is follow the SIGNS! There are millions of them in our state. LOL People from out of state always get lost driving in New Jersey because of all the roads that intertwine. Come up a bit more often You'll get used to it all. LOL :lol:

Anyway ... I'm traveling the Carolinas this week. We've visited the lighthouses near Charleston, SC (Morris Island and Sullivan Island), Hunting Island (SC) earlier in the week, and today got to visit Bald Head and Oak Island in North Carolina. Right now, I'm at the hotel in Morehead City, NC, and tomorrow will be visiting Cape Lookout, wind permitting, of course.

Oh, and by the way ... I haven't been lost yet! LOL Despite the lack of adequate signage in North and South Carolina! LOL 8O

Glad you were at least able to get some photos, Michelle.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Seasentinel » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:47 pm

Lost in NC would never happen to me especially down there where you are now! LUCKY YOU! I saw it was 73° at 5pm tonight there where as we're 10 below the normal of 65 up here.

Actually there was a large lack of no signs where we were. We were following Rt 36 and it just ended at a T. No sign to tell you what road was to the left or right. This happened over and over and over again..sometimes the roads ended in a tangled up mess like when we drove through Asbury Park (cant believe how run down that it's become). When I came home and looked on the map I could see it looked like a 6yr old drew the roads....no wonder we were so lost!

Anyway the only way we'd come up to NJ again is to see East Point. That was by far my favorite and was before I even went there. Since we missed sunset I want to be able to do so again.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. We are headed to NC next weekend as well. And we got to see Morris Island also when we went down to West Columbia for Tim's interview with FedEx for manager. I wished we'd gone to see Hunting Island but time and money didnt permit.
Michelle
OBLHS member since 1997
Seasentinel
Keeper

Postby Biggy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:46 pm

:-({|=

LOL ... Now, Michelle, I"m sure all the road signs were in their proper places and you just missed them. And see, you should have taken my advice and gone for Barnegat Lighthouse. LOL

Anyway ... Fortunately, I was able to get Morris Island at low tide and before the restoration work starts next month. Sullivan's Island doesn't look much like a lighthouse. We went with a relative of my wife's and he said he never noticed the lighthouse in some 28 years of living in the Charleston area and being on Sullivan's Island hundreds of times. It looks like an airport control tower.

As for Hunting Island ... It's a nice lighthouse, but kind of tough to shoot with all the trees around. You can get some nice shots from one particular angle near the beach to the east of it, but otherwise you're right on top of it with little room to go north, west or south for a good shot.

Oak Island is in a nice area, but kind of a bore to shoot photos of, because of its location and style. To me it looked like a huge cigarette sticking out of the ground. Bald Head is lovely, but again a tough shot because of all the wilderness surrounding the lighthouse. There are few great angles for shots of Old Baldy.

Now as for Cape Lookout ... I hope to be able to report some time over the weekend that I indeed was able to get out there. I've been doing my "no wind" dance in the hotel tonight. LOL

And yes, Michelle, it was warm down in North Carolina. About 74, sunny and a bit breezy. :lol:

East Point is a great lighthouse. I plan to get back there again real soon with all the spring flowers ready to burst. Catch you later.
David
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby beachbum1616 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:48 am

Michelle,

Nice photos!

David,

Best of Luck!!!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:40 am

Michelle,

Nice photos. sorry your visit to NJ didn't go as well as you would have liked. My wife Esther says finding the lighthouses is half the fun.

Come back again - and this time bring your directions with you or get a GPS and you may never be lost again. I used one on my trip to SC/GA/FL in March and it came in very handy and was very helpful. I'm glad my son gave it to my wife for Christmas.

I still had my maps and as much of my written directions as I could bring since I don't fully trust them newfangled devices. :lol: Actually I had some problems earlier with the portablr GPS freezing up and having to let the batteries die before I could unfreeze it. This is not helpful at 9 AM when you are getting on the road.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:08 pm

Michelle ...

I may now have a new favorite photo of East Point ... The early morning shot worked for me ... and, for sure, I am always a fan of the sea oatel shot like you took at Cape May ...

You mentioned how run down Asbury Park is ... Its been that way since the early 70's ... it was the onset of that decay that made my parents search out high school alternatives for me ... its exciting now, though, becasue virtually each block along the oceanfront has a sold sign on it and development is finally taking place ... in 2-3 years there's a good chance AP will be restored to the place spoken of in Cole Porter songs ... (and not for nothing, I live in the town just south of AP)

I'm sorry your travel plans were not aided by the weather, but you DID get to Twin Lights and although there were no pictures to be had, I hope, along with East Point, those are the two lighthouse images you carry with you ...

Come back soon ... the Windmill has a Hot Dog waiting with your name on it ... :wink:
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Dennis ... It's been recommended to me, just as of earlier this week, in fact, that I should get a GPS. But you know what? I don't have trouble finding my way with a map. But then again, I've been using a map long before I even learned how to shoot good photos. That's one thing I am proud to say scouting did well for me.

Barry ... I'd too interested to see how Asbury turns out following all the new construction about to take place. I heard it was quite the place years back, and I'd like to see it recapture some of that glory.

Stephen ... I'm happy to report that I had much success today. Got over to Cape Lookout without a hitch and shot roughly 800 photos from all angles. I'll be going through all of them soon, so I can get them onto my website and print a few to take to my first craft show of the year next weekend. Of course, I'll post a few here as well some time later next week. :D
David
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby wheland » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:11 pm

David,

I also usually have little problem with proper planning with my paper maps and my computer mapping programs.

The best thing about the gps is what happened when we ran into a blocked road due to an accident- the gps -or "Lady" as we all came to call it because of the female voice- led us back to our correct course easier than I could have without it.

I can usually find my way around those type of obstacles but it is nice to be sure.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Photography