|

My trip to the Carolinas

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Biggy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:43 pm

Greetings to all ...

Sorry, I haven't been able to post sooner than now. I've had a busy past 10 days, catching up at work and doing a lot for a craft show last weekend.

Nonetheless, I wanted to get a few photos on here detailing mine and Melissa's trip to the Carolinas. It was a fun trip. We got to see some friends, see some family, and, of course, see some lighthouses! 8O

After spending some time with a few friends in western North Carolina, Melissa and I headed for the Charleston, S.C. area where one of her cousins lives. He was able to ride us over to Folly Beach to see Morris Island Lighthouse (pre-restoration) and then to Sullivan's Island light.

It was a cloudy day, and while nothing is very spectacular about shooting either lighthouse, it was nice to finally get to see them. This is a sample of what I saw from my perspective...

First, Morris Island...

Next, Sullivan's Island...

The next day, Melissa and I traveled down to Hunting Island for a few hours. Tough lighthouse to shoot with all the trees, but there were a few spots to make something of it.

After heading north into North Carolina on a dreary, rainy day, we simply pushed things back a day (I allowed for a rain date in our trip ... LOL), then took a little trip over to Bald Head Island and Oak Island.

Again, Bald Head is tough with all the tree in the immediate area, and Oak Island is simply a not-very-photogenic lighthouse. But, I did my best to make the most of them. At least it was 70 and sunny!

Old Baldy ...

And Oak Island ...

After driving up to Morehead City later that afternoon (after visiting Oak Island), we spent a quiet evening in the hotel, and the next day -- with weather set to be in the upper-60s, cloudless and winds in the single digits -- we set out for Cape Lookout! :yay:

I had been waiting for more than a year to get to Cape Lookout, since I was unable to go during the two days I was in that area last April, and man was I excited. I damn near broke my foot again jumping from the skiff as it hit the sand at low tide! 8O

Anyway ... We stayed at Lookout for five hours. Melissa did a lot of relaxing with the nice weather and the calm, quiet atmosphere, and I ... Well, you know what I was doing. I took shots of the lighthouse from just about every angle possible, distant and close, and Melissa and I ended the time there by touring the museum. It was worth the $15 we paid to get the ride over there (that's right, it only cost us $15! \:D/ )

Well, here are a few shots of Cape Lookout, in case you wanted to see those, too ... LOL ...

All in all, it was a great trip. I'm really glad we got over to Lookout. And with the lighthouse in a great area, I definitely would go back there to do a little camping so I could get sunset and sunrise photos. After the restoration is done at Morris Island, I'd like to get back there as well to see how much better (photographically speaking) it turns out.

Well, that's all for now, folks! Hope you enjoyed this brief look at my trip. Catch you later. 8)
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Lighthouse Joe » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:08 am

Nice shots. Interesting how you got 3 completely different landscapes around Cape Lookout. If you didn't know better, you might think they were different lights with the same paint scheme.
Lighthouse Joe
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:07 pm

Great stuff David, I'm completely green with envy. I want to visit Cape Lookout so bad I can taste it!!!!

A question; is Morris Island a duplicate of Bodie and Currituck? It looks like it to me.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:14 pm

Yes, Mike, it is. I have a post card witha a photo of it and it had a Currituck Keepers quarters as well.

Nice photos David. Glad you made it to Lookout.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:31 pm

Thanks Stephen, it's kind of a grim look into the future that could have been for those two if preservationists hadn't stepped in.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Weasel58 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:04 pm

Here is a pic from the Coast Guard history website that shows the light as it once was.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEB ... n_1914.jpg
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby Biggy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:15 pm

Thanks, guys!

I'd say Bodie Island was an exact replica of Morris Island, just a bit taller and possibly wider. Poor Morris now looks as if it is severly filthy and weather-beaten, which I'm sure it is since the Save the Light people have moved very quickly to get restoration going.

And by the way, Lighthouse Joe ... I shot many more than three completely different landscapes around Cape Lookout. Starting from the north, and going in a complete circle around the lighthouse, you pretty much get a different look at each point of the compass. And of course, when you're right next to the lighthouse, it looks even different! It's really a nice place. And Mike, I'd say you're up for a trip there some time before all your boys graduate high school! LOL :lol:

And Stephen, you definitely have to try again soon. By the way, Barbour's wasn't all that bad, Stephen. I called in the morning to make sure he was running, and Capt. Bo got me out there right away for $15! Not a bad way to go.

Anyway ... I'll have a few more shots of this trip at some point. Catch everyone later.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby shirin » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:58 am

Looks like you had a great trip to a bunch of great lights. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. Especially for those of us who won't be heading that way anytime soon like myself!
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Lighthouse Photography