|

Splittin' the uprights

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:26 pm

Sorry, I'm in a football mood in anticipation of the ND game tomorrow. Anyway, I was able to get out to St. Joe on Monday (Labor day) evening to try for a sunset. This used to be a common thing, but lately I haven't been able to make the trip very often. (A batch of kids will do that to ya) Part of my motivation was the knowledge that this is one of the times of year when you can get the sun setting between the inner & outer towers if you know where to shoot from.

While I was disappointed at the lack of clouds to give an interesting sunset, there was enough junk in the air to allow for some photography looking directly at El Sol without too much risk of permanent vision loss and equipment destruction. The lighting was still pretty harsh while the sun was high in the sky, even with a 3 stop graduated neutral density filter on.

But once it hit the horizon, the sun really softened, allowing for some pretty decent shots. You can see by the increasing definition on the towers that the lighting got pretty even towards the end. I'd have liked to have kept the towers more silhouetted in the later shots, but I wanted to keep the gradient of color in the sky and was afraid that the filter would dull it.

Going...

Going...

Pretty much gone...

Thanks to the swarms of mosquitoes that pretty much sucked me dry, I elected not to stay after the sun set, as it looked like it would be a long wait for the deep residual color I love to shoot. And the sky was light enough I wasn't sure how much of a show I'd get anyway. So I packed it up and went home.

For geekphotostats. all of these were shot with my F5 and 80-400mm VR lens on Velvia 50 slide film. I don't have the exposure settings, but if anyone is desperate for them I can do an exposure data download.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Beautiful shots. Makes me wish I lived on the sunset side of the Lake.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Mike ... If I can mix a metaphor and turn it to baseball ... "I think you got all of that one" Thanks so much for sharing these ... coming home just now to see this ... well, makes a tough day easier to take ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby TenofHearts12 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:01 pm

Great pics and thanks for sharing :-)
"Your never too old to do goofy stuff" (Ward Cleaver, Leave It To Beaver)
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Postby Biggy » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:43 pm

Seeing as I just returned home from covering my first high school game of the season, I'm glad I didn't see a football soaring through the goal posts. Thanks, Mike, for allowing my hectic night to wind down calmly.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:55 pm

Mike, the photos are beautiful, and I'm still laughing about your football analogy! I think it's a pretty fitting description, though!

And just to let you know, I truly appreciate the blood sacrifice that you made to take these shots! They are awe-inspiring!

:D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:20 pm

I'm glad you guys like these, it was great being able to get back out there again. And there's nothing better than coming home with photos that don't look like anything I've gotten there before. That's what it's all about.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:04 pm

Mike, you succeeded quite admirably!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I hope to visit back there in May, and am going to do what I can to make that happen!!!!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby WisKeeper » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:25 pm

Beautiful Color! Love the shots! I really like the sun reflection on the water on the first shot.

With the way the mosquitoes have been lately, I don't know how you stayed as long as you did. Plus, with the way the mosquitoes have swarmed in my yard, there would have been several of them in the photo.
Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
WisKeeper
Head Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography