|

Nubble ... Nubble ... Nubble

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Grover1 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:06 pm

Ok so here's the thing ... the other morning ... in the Fletcher's Neck LSS thread, I posted a picture of Nubble as the sun was coming up ... after posting it ... and looking back at it ... I realized I posted the wrong shot ... pressed for time I couldnt go back and explain ... pressed for time ... I just took it down ...

So ... here's the sequence ... shot one is resized, but right from the camera ...

Shot two ... right from the camera ... but after hitting the auto-color ... the auto-exposure ... and one hit of the sharpening control

Shot three ... this is the one that got posted ... it was the one I started palying with shortly after the thread where Gary was explaining "post shutter processing" I found the "edit curves" and I started playing ...
I got more of the coloring ... not quite the depth of the coloring .. that I wanted ... it was an experiment ... but when I saw what I had done ... and that it wasnt quite what I had in mind, I took it down ... if for no other reason then that building "just isnt that red" :wink:

This shot? Just playing with the curves until I actually got "orange" into one of my shots ...
Image[/img]

Looking back, IMHO, the first picture may just be the best of the lot ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby rocky5128 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:20 pm

I am only seeing the dreaded RED X boxes.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:33 pm

I am seeing all of the pictures. I am not sure which one I like the best.

Don't you just hate those dreaded red X's.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Biggy » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:01 pm

Oh, that building is that red ... it's just a different shade of red in different lighting and with different contrasts :!:

Can't you even tell that much, Barry :?: :lol: Geesh ...

=))
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:49 am

OK, now I can see the pictures, it might have been the computer at work blocking them. Great pictures :D :D

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:47 pm

How's bout this version? Manipulation? Most definitely. Trickery? I don't think so. The difference is subtle, but noticeable.

All I did here was tweak the saturation controls for the different color channels. Whad'ya think Barry?
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:44 pm

It is a weird at work thing because I can see the pictures at home. Here at work I can see Mike's picture, but only see the RED X boxes instead of pictures from Barry. Now I have to wait to get home to compare the picture. :(

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:31 pm

... and the point is, of course, is that it's all the very same picture, "Portsmouth #5," even the Halloweenish silhouette
at the end ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:35 pm

... and Mike, I like it ... you got more detail, more depth into the sky, which is what I was trying to do ...

This was my first attempt at trying anything other than the auto-controls ... The Microsoft program breaks it down into the three individual primaries ... the problem was I couldnt control the sky without altering other parts of the shot ... the red building, for example ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Return to Lighthouse Photography