|

Rained Out

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:52 pm

Went to St. Joe for a sunset tonight.

Hoped the incoming storms would give me some nice colors in the clouds.

Nope.

Got something better.

Much better.

Geekphotostats - 30 seconds, f4.5, 14mm Tamron, Nikon D70

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The slides go in first thing tomorrow and I can't wait to see 'em. Rest assured I'll post a few keepers to share with y'all.

This was a good night.
Last edited by Hersh on Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:02 pm

Oh, that's nice! Very nice! It always pays to go out into a storm, even if there's a chance of getting killed. I love it! Now you know how I felt when I got my lightning shot at Barnegat Lighthouse two years ago. Quite a feeling, huh Mike?
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Tybeeisland48 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:26 pm

That is awesome Mike....

but Biggy

It always pays to go out into a storm, even if there's a chance of getting killed.

That's never an option especially with new triplets to raise! You might think it's worth it, but nope, never for me! A snow storm maybe, but please...Mike what you showed us is fine, but I am sure you were careful! :wink:
Tybeeisland48
Keeper

Postby Hersh » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:04 am

There was a guy and his girlfriend out there with me towards the end of the evening, and as the storm moved inland and I ran to the parking lot, I mentioned to them that there's no such thing as a photo worth dying for.

I was very fortunate last night, the storm stayed out over the water for a couple hours before it moved inland. Once it moved in it took about one strike in my peripheral vision to tell me it was time to go. And I went.

And David, I know exactly what feeling you're talking about. This was second only to shooting the aurora for sheer thrill.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:55 am

Of course, there's no shot worth dying for, because if you're dead that shot is worthless to you anyway.

I never said getting killed was an option, but at times photographers put themselves in dangerous situations. That's all I was referring to. The fact that Mike was able to get the shot without getting killed doing it is the thrilling part. It was for me two years ago as well. Naturally, I didn't want to die doing it. I have a family as well. But the reality is, if you're close enough to a thunderstorm to hear the thunder and see the lightning within the confines of your camera's viewfinder, you're close enough to be killed by lightning.

Obviously, the best option is not to take the photos at all, and pass up on that opportunity. But to be the only person with a shot like that does make it worth the risk you take.

In life there are many risks. Heck, you risk your life everytime you get into a car -- moreso than taking photos of lightning. But of course it's not an option to be killed. Nobody wants to be killed doing something either mundane or enjoyable. Some things you simply can't control. And that's why we call it luck when we arrive home safely with such a photo as the one Mike has here.
David
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby bert911 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:57 am

Great shot, Mike!

I gotta tell ya, I almost didn't look at this post. I thought it was going to be a sad tale of driving hours to go to a light, and then not being able to do anything because of the rain.

Just goes to prove: you can't judge a book by its title.

Robert
bert911
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:42 pm

I'm glad your curiosity got the better of you Robert.

David, the thrill definitely was there, and having worked the streets for almost ten years now, I admit I do love a thrill now and again. But as for luck, I don't believe there is such a thing. I know that I was being watched over and protected, but not lucky. Of course had I been too brazen and stayed out there another fifteen minutes while the storm came in, my blanket of protection might have been overcome by my stupidity. I don't like to push it too far. :)

Here's another one I like from the small number of digitals I took. The lightning is much more subtle, but I love how the clouds are backlit by the lightning we can't see. You can also catch a bit of the red from the sunset peeking through the clouds on the horizon to the left of the lighthouse.

Geekphotostats - 20 seconds, f4.5, 14mm Tamron, Nikon D70
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby rocky5128 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:30 pm

I thought of all you East Side of Lake Michiganers when that storm came through here yesterday. :mrgreen: I knew it was going to be a good looking storm over there, although possibly dangerous. It came through downtown Chicago right at rush hour. I was on the 13th floor and watched the horizontal rain and the quarter sized hail bounce off the windows. I love the pictures, I am glad somebody took some nice pictures of the storm.

One of these days I will make it over to Navy Pier during a good storm for some pictures. Although for safetys sake I might be inside Navy Pier to take the pictures. :lol:

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:09 am

I really hate you, Mike................... :lol: (not really..........) :wink:

Did you think of me at all???????
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:34 am

I love you too, Leah. Actually I was in a pretty selfish mode while I was out there, I concentrated pretty hard on keeping the shutter open as much as possible. I did think about Gary, since we'd talked a few times about how much we both wanted to shoot lightning at St. Joe.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:49 am

I'll forgive you under the circumstances, Mike.............caught up in the moment as you were................. :lol: AND since you love me, too...........

:P :wink:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:03 am

Not to diminish the results because I've been oogling them since I first saw them down Dare County last Thursday... to me, they are as rare as Gary's rainbow over Bodie and just as captivatiing ...

But having said that, I say "thrill, schmill" ... Though science is not my forte, I'm guessing you were shooting from a metal tripod ... within a hundred or so yards from a metal catwalk ... and within another couple hundred yards of a rather sufficient quantity of water ...

Mike, I will agree with you and question the concept of luck ... Branch Rickey once said it well, that "luck is the residue of design" However, from the perspective of being 900 miles away, I would venture to say it was your innate sense of personal safety, your experience with the conditions, and your incumbent powers of observation, as much as any other factor, that got you out of there when you left.

I'm thinking "blanket of protection" is one great euphemism for weighing all the factors and getting one's posterior out of harms way ... it is using the gift of common sense many (though not all) are blessed with ...

Thanks for sharing these photos ... lightning is a rare capture for us to see here ... glad you are safe to shoot it again.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby TWolfe » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:20 pm

Very Cool. Looking forward to seeing more of them.
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby Hersh » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:59 pm

Well Barry, you're right, I was on a metal tripod, about 35-40 feet from the metal catwalk, and about 100-150 FEET of a lot of liquid. I must say that my 'blanket of protection' was more divine providence than my own good sense, but it does require sense to recognize that providence and not take advantage of it to the detriment of one's own safety. :D
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:50 pm

Actually, Mike ... When I said "lucky," I was more referring to the blessed kind. But then again, shouldn't we consider ourselves a bit "lucky" to be protected by such divinity? According to my belief system, God leaves on Earth those who still have His will to do, and vanquishes the ones who don't. Apparently, there is a greater, longer path for you, my friend. And I agree, the sense is in not taking advantage of such fortune.
David
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photography