|

A few from my short trip last weekend

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Biggy » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:01 pm

For those who have never been in the Hudson River valley to view the lighthouses there, now's a good time to provide you with a glimpse of what you, hopefully, someday will visit. For those who have been there, here's a glimpse of what you already know exists, but still always good to revisit now and then.

Keep in mind, these photos are of just four of the six upper Hudson River lights. The other two will be sought after this weekend, when my wife and I make a return visit -- when, hopefully, there will be additional color amid the trees.

Anyway ... onward ... I'll start at the top and work my down.

Here's Hudson-Athens, from the water (Melissa and I were able to catch the Hudson-Athens Lighthouse Preservation Society's last tour of the year to the lighthouse) ... Please ignore those annoying power lines in the background (OK, so they're hard to ignore ... nothing I could do about it).

Next is Saugerties ... There will be a few more of this lighthouse in the near future ...

And then, there was Rondout (sorry, I couldn't be on the water for this ... at least, then I wouldn't have had such a tough morning sun to deal with) ...

And finally, Esopus Meadows (my wife and I had a bit of a picnic at Lighthouse Park and then I went shooting from the river banks with a 500mm lens on the tripod, which worked out quite well) ...

I also will have another one or two of Esopus at a later date (and one Hersh should find most interesting). But for now, that's all from me. Hope you enjoyed them!
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Grover1 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:38 am

Did you make it as far as Crown Point?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 am

No, Barry ... We got as far as Hudson, where the Hudson-Athens boat ran from.
David
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby AL » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:50 am

Dave,

Thanks for the return to these lites. I'm surprised there hasn't been much foliage change yet. I've been toying with the idea of returning to the area just for the color. Now I'll postpone the trip for at least another week.
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby Biggy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:10 pm

Al ... By this weekend, there should be some more color. I wasn't too shocked not to see much color last weekend. This past weekend, I noticed more of the trees on the Garden State Parkway were starting to show more color, so I'm assuming the trees in New York are on there way as well. I would go back in two weeks as well, but by then I'll be in Door County, Wisconsin.
David
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Photography