|

Gale season continues... (bandwidth hog post)

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Biggy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:12 pm

Gary Martin wrote:No offense to those who live in and love NJ, but the photographic opportunities here AREN'T what they are in the Great Lakes basin.

=)) =))

A little biased, Gary :?: Or perhaps spoiled :?:

Remember something, Old Wise One ... What you perceive as boring somebody else will perceive as beautiful and inspirational. :lol:

There are photo opportunities everywhere, it all depends on what you're looking for. And believe it or not, I'd take shooting at Portland Head over St. Joe, and any lighthouse in Jersey, any day. See ... we all have our opinions. LOL
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:13 am

I think I'm in Heaven................................ O:)
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:39 am

David / Biggy you have said what I have stated on this board before using different words.

I could feel sorry for myself that I cannot do much traveling due to money and health reasons.

Some of you may know that I am taking a year long course at the University of Maine in Belfast it meets about once a month for a day or two of class work. It is a 120 miles drive from Biddeford. I thought I would always take the shoreline route to Belfast. For reasons due to weather conditions and time I have been going the inland route instead.

"The inland route is less spectacular - and it was and is a boring drive I was told over and over again" I was told this by many, many Mainers. Wrong - I got to see hill lite up with yellow trees a week ago. On part of the drive I see hills and lakes. At one point in this drive I come over and up to the top of a hill and see hills around me. Way off in the distance I go to see the ocean. WOW!!!

Yes, we may have are favorite spots - but new and wonderful sights are around us if we only take the time to look. Everyday - even the not great ones are a blessing.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Rob143 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:58 am

You wouldn't understand Carole.

All the baby waves in the world don't hold a candle to one average day at St Joe.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:06 pm

We all have our favorites, and it's largely a matter of personal taste. But, you will get better pictures at Bodie Island than you'll get in my front yard. Some places are just more photogenic than others.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:10 pm

Rob - and others I think you may be missing my point of view as it had been stated.

They say Cancer changes you. What in some small ways I have been trying to say or state is what I view as wonderful and incredible others may not. To me and for me everyday is a gift and I see the beauty in common everyday places.

To be sure big waves or huge mountains or certain places hold a majesty and create a WOW factor. However to me being close to the ocean is gift beyond measure. I am very blessed by the gifts I do have.

Rob - I am sure that "average day at St. Joe's" is very special to you and to other people. I am so glad that you and other people have the opportunity to get to see places like St. Joe's. I am not afforded such opportunities yet am so very glad that you are able to go to a place like St. Joe's.

Carole AKA Epona
Last edited by epona on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:04 pm

Carole, there is certainly beauty to be found everywhere. Events in our lives do make us much more aware of the beauty in life around us. I personally just don't happen to find photography of the NJ lights as satisfying or challenging as what I did along the Lake Michigan shore when massive waves were pounding the pier lights, which is not to say that there isn't beauty to be found here.

And yes, David, I have strong opinions and have no qualms about overtly saying what I think. I also don't need you to point that out to me, or to remind me that others may see beauty where I don't care to aim my lens, which is exactly what Carole said in her post above.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:11 pm

Gary Martin wrote:And yes, David, I have strong opinions and have no qualms about overtly saying what I think. I also don't need you to point that out to me, or to remind me that others may see beauty where I don't care to aim my lens, which is exactly what Carole said in her post above.

=)) =))

Oh, but Gary ... You know you're not the only one who has no qualms with overtly saying what you think. :lol: And that's why I said what I said. Sometimes, my friend, we all need a little reminder of a thing or two. You made your opinion sound like a fact. I just wanted to screw with you and point out that it wasn't. :lol:

And hey ... How come you can answer me on here and not answer the
e-mail I send you days ago? 8O

Oh, and Carole ... I definitely agree with how life changes your outlook on things. If it weren't for the quickness and medical know-how of a paramedic, and several nurses and a doctor, about eight years ago, I wouldn't even be here writing this, never mind taking photos of the many wonders of our world. It's quite a fitting message for this week. Thanks for that reminder.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Red » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:08 pm

I can tell you the wave action at Harbor of Refuge during Northeast storms can rival anything the Great Lakes dishes out. RED
Red
Keeper

Postby Hersh » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:22 pm

That's one I'd love to see in a storm.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:46 pm

Harbor of Refuge is about 5 hours closer than St Joe. It might be something to remember early next year when any NE storms are brewing. The only time so far that I've been there I saw Delaware Breakwater, but could only see the Harbor of Refuge light from a pretty good distance because there were piping plovers nesting on the northern end of the beach and as such access was restricted. I don't know why I remember what bird it was because to this day I don't recall what a piping plover is except the bird nesting on that beach.

Sounds like another great excuse to take the camera for a drive one day soon.

My new 85 f1.8 will be here any day now. That would have been interesting to have played with at St Joe 2 weeks ago. There's always next time I suppose.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:26 pm

I'm probably somewhere in the range of about 4 hrs from Harbor-of-Refuge, Rob. Maybe we'll run into each other down there if there's a good Nor'easter in the spring. I have the glass to reach out to the light but would probably have to set up the tripod inside of the car to keep the magnification at 750-1500 mm from killing the image quality due to wind buffeting. Then again, I've set up tripods in cars more than once when I've had to.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:40 pm

I'd say in a little less than that. I was thinking 3 1/2 hours. I've got a 400 5.6, which with a 1.4TC and the 1.6X crop factor I can effectively bump 900, but I'm down to an f8 wide open at that point. I've only been there once, and as I said I never got up that beach to where I think a person would want to shoot this from, but I wasn't thinking I'd need to be nearly as long as 900 with full beach access. I think this warrants an earlier trip to assess the locations possibilities before any storms hit. Some day next week I may have to make another contribution to the oil companies and run down there. Aside from the recent trip to St Joe I haven't taken the camera for a drive enough recently anyway and the new lens is going to be begging to be tried out.

What are the odds that you and I would run into each other on a stormy beach in Delaware instead of Michigan? I guess you just never know.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:46 pm

Being able to go to 1500 mm at f/8 should allow me not to have to worry where I could get to on the beach.

Hey, you never know who you'll run into where, Rob, but along the shore of Lake Michigan is probably a more likely place to run into me than anywhere else...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:40 pm

Not lately it isn't... Guess that means you should come back this way more often.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

PreviousNext

Return to Lighthouse Photography