|

Gale season continues... (bandwidth hog post)

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:23 pm

Haven't been on the beach much lately, Hersh, but have flown over the lake three times in the past month! In any case, I'll be there for a week or two in May...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:38 am

No offense to those who live in and love NJ, but the photographic opportunities here AREN'T what they are in the Great Lakes basin

To paraphrase one of my favorite quotes from True Grit, "that's pretty bold talk for someone who's been in the Garden State less time then it takes one of our tomatoes to ripen on the vine"

I'm kind of thinking its not just the waves at St Joe's but an attachment to the event as well ... Waves? One of my favorite memories as a child was dad taking me to Shark River Inlet and watching the waves explode over the T-jetty as a nor'easter either approached or receded ... (of course NOW I would notice the light tower/marker at the end of the rocks) ... and as my kids grew, we have the pictures of them watching the very same scene (different waves :wink: )

... or waves of a different sort? Mike ... how about the first time you take the boys to the beach and they get knocked over by a six inch wave and either giggle or cry becasue of it ... Those waves are going to have just as much meaning to you as any purple tinged/lightning captured shot you ever focused on ... but those waves dont have to be "at St Joe's"

I guess I'm trying to say its not just the "waves at St Joe's" Waves are everywhere ... Its what's in your head, in your psyche, even in your heart ... when you say "waves at St Joe's" I believe are conveying as much a state of mind as a meterological situation ... and you more accomplished guys and ladies ... you get this across to us very very well ...
Last edited by Grover1 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Biggy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:06 am

Barry ... I certainly understand your points here.

West-northwesterly gale-force winds pushing the waves of Lake Michigan into the pier at St. Joe and east-northeasterly winds pushing the Atlantic waves into the jetties are pretty much the same thing. And since I've seen both now, I can say that with certainty. The only difference is none of our jetties around the Jersey Shore are marked with a lighthouse at the end, so it doesn't cause the same effect when the waves crash into it.

Meteorologically speaking, if your photography hinges on the weather you get in any one location, you really never know what photo opportunities await.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:24 am

Barry,

Thank you so much for what you wrote in your last posting. I agree with you places and waves can be about the attachments and memories they hold and have for each of us.

When I looking for a place to live in Biddeford I complained and gripped to a friend who is a Mainer that the ocean was alright in Maine but it was not RI. It was not Point Judith or Beavertail or South County RI. The magic that I had found in RI was not ever, ever going to happen in Maine for me. They said I would find new places that would bring as much joy or more than RI.

They where so correct in what they said. They where right about seeing places near where I live that have magic on their own. You see I never saw RI as home for me. Maine the first place I have ever felt at home in. I have now discovered many, many places that give me joy in Biddeford. A different type of ocean view. I still have countless places around yet to be found my me.

Do I still miss RI yes I do at times. Would like to back maybe - you I have realized that I have many new roads and places ahead of me. Life is an adventure live it.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:13 pm

We surely do form attachments to certain places and hold them in high esteem because of that. I know I have several myself, and have shared photos of same right here. But just so we're careful not to over-philosophize about things, there can be real, concrete reasons we like some of these places.

For one, St. Joe is positioned at the SE corner of the lake, so during the powerful spring & fall storms the NW waves have the entire length of the lake to build before they arrive there. Then when they do arrive, the lighthouse pier is on the north side of the channel, meaning there's no break before the waves slam the pier. Also, the height of the outer tower at St. Joe is low enough that the waves look large when they hit. And besides all that, the dunes at Tiscornia park are high enough and long enough to provide elevated points of view of this spectacle, and you can explore many angles and elevations from right next to the pier at beach level to the highest dunes back by the bathrooms and to the north.

Maybe it sounds unromantic or formulaic, but it is what it is.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:14 pm

Mike ... A very joyful Thanksgiving to you and yours ...

For sure that geographical melange is true ... its also as true that you and Gary and others shared some great memories as evidenced by how many times ... whenever you post from there ... more often then not ... you are doing a Hemione Gingold/Maurice Chevalier "Ah, yes ... I remember it well" routine ... (Gary will understand the reference)

I was just saying there is often an emotional charge in many instances that enhance the experience ... it shows in your results ... it shows in your narration ...

And best of all, we get to experience the joyful results ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:13 pm

No doubt Barry, the lights along the SW coast of Michigan hold a great emotional pull for me, probably always will. Lots of great memories, and many more to come.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Previous

Return to Lighthouse Photography