|

Digital SLR Cameras- Any thoughts ?

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Biggy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:26 pm

No offense taken here, Rob. But then again, I don't concern myself with ratings until I deal with a place first-hand.

As for the lens, I simply said it was the best one with the packages being offered. The 18-55mm is a good lens as well, and one that I have, but I believe the 28-135 would be a better fit for somebody getting started with photojournalism. Of course, if Dennis really wants to spend some money, he can go for a much better EF lens, or two, or three. In that case I'd recommend a 70-300mm (or thereabouts), a 400mm and a 600mm as the likely ones used by a photojournalist. Many of the guys I know in the newspaper business use lenses in those ranges.

But, if one lens is in the package (and you know it's not going to be a high-powered EF lens), I'd take the one with the wider range.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby PeteL » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:21 pm

I have a Nikon D50 which you can still find brand new for under 500.00 with a lens. I would buy a 6-8mp body and buy better glass. There are many sites on the net which will point you towards Nikon or Canon. The feel of the camera is a big thing. Some like the way Canon's feel and some like Nikon's the other option is the Fuji S5 Pro which uses Nikon Mount lenses. Great reviews all around on this body.

I currently only use the 18-55mm DX Kit lens and the 70-300mm VR Nikkors. I'll be picking up a 10-20mm Sigma and a 50 f/1.8 Nikkor after xmas for myself to round out my lens collection. That is until I can afford a 70-200mm f/2.8 Nikkor and a TC-14E.

Nikon D40 and D40x kits are on sale all over the place for xmas with extra lenses and all sorts of goodies. The D40(x) has no internal focus motor so it will not autofocus non AF-S lenses. This shouldn't be a problem for a photojournalist as they should know how to manually focus a camera.

Pete
PeteL
Visitor

Postby wheland » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:22 pm

I bought a camera- after discussing it with Beth and having her go look at different cameras it was decided to go with the Canon EOS 40D with the 28-135mm lens.

I got it for $1365 and I ordered it on Tuesday and it was delivered today.

I also added a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 lll lens, a Canon Speedlite 580EX II Electronic Flash and Tiffen 77mm Photo Essentials Filter Kit
Includes Ultra Violet (UV) Filter - Circular Polarizer - 812 Warming Filter - Pouch / For lenses with 77mm Filter Threads .

Any suggestions as to what other lens might be a good thing to buy? Any other must have items?

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Biggy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Dennis: Sounds like your daughter is off to a great start! Good selection with this camera. I've been hearing and reading nothing but good things about it. At the moment, I have no other suggestions, other than to go after a long distance EF lens, perhaps something in the neighborhood of 400-600mm.
David
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby AL » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:27 am

Sounds like a good start. What lens are the 77mm filters?
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby wheland » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:15 am

AL wrote:Sounds like a good start. What lens are the 77mm filters?

Al,

They are filters that fit on 77mm threads which the Canon 40D has.

Biggy- I'll take that under advisement. those lenses are a bit pricey :)

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Biggy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:55 am

Dennis: Yes, those lenses are a bit pricey. However, with proper care thay can last for a very long time, and should be compatible with any of the Canon DSLR cameras if your daughter upgrades to a better camera down the road. That's the advantage of an SLR in general, that the lenses are interchangeable, especially with the higher-end Canons and Nikons. If she changes a body here and there down the road, at least she won't have to replace lenses to go with it. Just my opinion.
David
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby AL » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:04 am

Dennis,
The filters go on the lens not the 40D. And, the lens that you listed aren't 77MM, that is why I asked. The 28-135 uses a 72mm filter and the other is 58 mm as far as I know. I thought you may have another lens that you didn't list.

Considering the crop factor of 1.6. I would consider a wide lens as my next lens purchase.

There is always a gadget bag to consider also.
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby wheland » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:29 am

AL wrote:Dennis,
The filters go on the lens not the 40D. And, the lens that you listed aren't 77MM, that is why I asked. The 28-135 uses a 72mm filter and the other is 58 mm as far as I know. I thought you may have another lens that you didn't list.

Considering the crop factor of 1.6. I would consider a wide lens as my next lens purchase.

There is always a gadget bag to consider also.

That's what happens when somebody who doesn't have a clue is in charge of things. I very carefully went to the camera reviews for the specifications on the thread size to match it up to the filters.

Ya learn something everyday- and sometimes it should have been easier. :)

Thansk for pointing out my mistake. I do appreciate it- really I do.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:33 pm

Regardless of what lenses you buy for Beth, buy her a UV filter for every one of them and tell her to put them on and leave 'em on unless there is some reason to take one of the off, like using a split ND filter or a polarizer. A UV filter is very cheap "insurance" for the front element of a potentially very expensive lens :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Gary,

Thanks for the advice. I went back and bought an assortment of filters for each lens- including a UV filter. I made sure they were the right size for each lens.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Previous

Return to Lighthouse Photography