|

Digital SLR Cameras- Any thoughts ?

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:29 pm

Dennis, you might also want to check Mack Camera -- they're the folks who do all of the extended warranty repairs for the big resellers. Mack camera, however, also has a retail arm. When I've bought CF cards, they've generally be one of the cheapest going. They're on Morris Ave in Springfield, NJ (at least I think it's Springfield when I go past them going between sites).
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:54 pm

These are some thoughts on this topic that I have not seen mentioned so far.

What does Beth want???

She is the one that is going to be using the equipment. You could buy the best with everything going for it !!!!
If for some reason Beth does like how it handles and feels, she will smile say thank you use it and off record not be happy.

So I would some how ask her what she would like in a perfect camera.

To often wonderful caring people buy presents that are not "what the person really wanted.

Wow what a wonderful family Beth has, she is one lucky young woman.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:03 pm

epona wrote:These are some thoughts on this topic that I have not seen mentioned so far.

What does Beth want???

She is the one that is going to be using the equipment. You could buy the best with everything going for it !!!!
If for some reason Beth does like how it handles and feels, she will smile say thank you use it and off record not be happy.

So I would some how ask her what she would like in a perfect camera.

To often wonderful caring people buy presents that are not "what the person really wanted.

Wow what a wonderful family Beth has, she is one lucky young woman.

Carole AKA Epona

Carole,

Good point. I have taken that into consideration with my research.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Biggy » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:03 pm

Dennis: From what I've read of the Canon 40D, it's a solid choice. I'm thinking about getting one myself. It just came out, so unfortunately, you're paying the high-end price for it. In about 4-6 months, it will drop and that might be when I jump on one. But if you're leaning toward the 40D for Beth, it should be worth the investment.

And being the sports editor at the newspaper group I'm with, I also know that most of our photographers use Nikons or Canons. You can't go wrong with any of the cameras made by either company.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby wheland » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:08 am

I haven't called directly yet but the photos of the lenses show Canon product and they are listed as Canon lenses- not Canon compatible.

I've decided to discuss the purchase with my daughter before buying anything. I want her to go to a store and see how different cameras feel to her hands- starting with the Canon 40D and the Nikon 80 and possibly the Olympus Evolt E-510.

Anybody have thoughts as to which lenses are must haves to start with- especially with the Canon 40D. I'm still leaning towards that one after my research online at various sites- and the various responses from people here and elsewhere.

The best price I've found for just the Eos 40D body is $1060.

Any thoughts on the best table-top and full size tripods to purchase, quality hard case and soft cases, etc.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Terry_Pepper » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:09 am

I know nothing about the company, but Quest4Cameras has the EOS 40D body listed for $879.00. Go to www.quest4cameras.com and type EOS 40D in the search box at the upper right.

Which lenses your daughter will need likely depends to the greatest extent on the type of journalism she will be getting into. Eg. - photographers covering sporting events need a far different range of lenses than those specializing in general "architectural" shots.

Since she probably does not know the answer to that question at this time, and has yet to become consumed by the "lens envy" that inevitably gets hold of just about all professional photographers, I would suggest that you go with something inexpensive with a relatively wide coverage to start.

In that way, she can get her feet wet with some good adaptability without breaking your bank account. Then, when she finds out which lenses she really needs, you can negotiate a second morgage to get her what she feels she needs to feel acceptable to the eyes of her peers. :oops: :lol:

Perhaps something like the Sigma 18-125mm f/3.5-5.6 DC. It is specifically made for the digital body, and is available with a Canon mount, and I have seen them available for $219.00
Terry Pepper
GLLKA Executive Director
http://www.gllka.com

Seeing The Light
http://www.terrypepper.com

Terry_Pepper
LH.net Administrator

Postby wheland » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:22 am

Terry,

Thanks. The lens and other side pieces are even harder to decide than the camera question.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby wheland » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:28 am

Terry,

I did a search on resellers.com for Quest4Cameras.com and the rating they have is a .50 on a scale of 0-10. I think i'll pass on them as a source.

I read a number of the reviews and they went from very bad to worse. :)

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby rocky5128 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:34 am

I read that you should watch out buying the cheapest one online because if it is a non-us version, it will have a plastic frame and it has no warrantee. I don't know how true that statement is, but it is the only bad thing I have heard about the camera.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Postby Rob143 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:41 am

A gray market version will indeed not have a Canon USA warranty, or support from Canon USA. That however is also true of all manufacturers to the best of my knowledge. Beyond that I believe build quality is identical as it is really the same camera, lens, or whatever not intended for import to the US. Even reputable retailers like B&H sell gray market as well as US product. In the case of a Canon 40D, or comparable, I wouldn't buy gray market to save a few dollars up front and would inquire to be certain anything I bought carried a Canon USA warranty as opposed to a USA warranty but to each his own.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby AL » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:49 am

Dennis,

Don't overlook the canon XTI. It is a fine camera and has a small body that is a nice fit for small hands. The Canon kit lens is nothing to write home about but can take decent photos. A excellent lens is the Canon 17-40mm f/4. So another choice is to purchase just the body and get the lens separately. A third party lens choice might be the Sigma 17-70mm.

My opinion on the extras are that they are not worth the cost. I don't know anyone that uses a table top tripod. My son-in-law got one in a kit he purchased and it was approximately 6" in length. I would never trust it to hold a camera and lens.

I would stick with a known supply house or you might look at Costco. They have the Canon XTI kit for $699.99 which includes the 18-55mm kit lens and a 2 GB memory card
AL
New Jersey
AL
Inspector

Postby wheland » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:54 am

Rob143 wrote:A gray market version will indeed not have a Canon USA warranty, or support from Canon USA. That however is also true of all manufacturers to the best of my knowledge. Beyond that I believe build quality is identical as it is really the same camera, lens, or whatever not intended for import to the US. Even reputable retailers like B&H sell gray market as well as US product. In the case of a Canon 40D, or comparable, I wouldn't buy gray market to save a few dollars up front and would inquire to be certain anything I bought carried a Canon USA warranty as opposed to a USA warranty but to each his own.

Robert,

I am not considering any gray market items- even though usually the only difference between a US and a gray market item is the lack of a US warrantry. Some have a different item number but almost invariably they are all made on the same assembly line at the same time and just shipped to different places.

I do not want to rely on a warrantry suppleid by and valid at only the seller.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby wheland » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:56 am

AL wrote:Dennis,

Don't overlook the canon XTI. It is a fine camera and has a small body that is a nice fit for small hands. The Canon kit lens is nothing to write home about but can take decent photos. A excellent lens is the Canon 17-40mm f/4. So another choice is to purchase just the body and get the lens separately. A third party lens choice might be the Sigma 17-70mm.

My opinion on the extras are that they are not worth the cost. I don't know anyone that uses a table top tripod. My son-in-law got one in a kit he purchased and it was approximately 6" in length. I would never trust it to hold a camera and lens.

I would stick with a known supply house or you might look at Costco. They have the Canon XTI kit for $699.99 which includes the 18-55mm kit lens and a 2 GB memory card

Al,

She will be looking at that but the Canon 40D is a better choice for her since she has nothing at this point and it has a bit better features- at a bit of a higher cost of course.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Biggy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Dennis: I was reading Outdoor Photographer magazine over the weekend and its review of the 40D was quite positive. You may be able to find the review at www.outdoorphotographer.com. In the same issue, Broadway Photo was advertising the 40D body for $899.99. So, just for the heck of it, I went to Broadway Photo's site to check out its packages for the 40D, and I found them here ... http://www.bwayphoto.com/ProductListing ... t=2&page=3

I'd say the best lens being offered with the camera is the EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6. That's what I found out on it. Hopefully, that can help you.
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Rob143 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:56 pm

I can't speak from personal experience but Broadway Photo has a lifetime rating of 1.16/10 and a 6 month rating of 1.69/10.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

Even poorly regarded Tristate Camera, from whom I've bought once and will never again, has a 6 month rating of 2.81/10 and a lifetime of 5.29/10.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/TriState_Camera_Video_and_Computers

No offense but the EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is considered one of the lesser offerings within the Canon lineup. Many have long wondered why others have been discontinued while this underperformer lives on. I do agree you can have 3 of them for the price of one 24-105 f4, which is an amazing lens in that zoom range, but more often than not money saved on glass is money wasted on glass. Just my 2 cents.

Reviews on B&H:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/149629-USA/Canon_2562A002_Zoom_W_A_Telephoto_EF_28_135mm.html
Rob143
Head Keeper

PreviousNext

Return to Lighthouse Photography