|

Lighthouse Digest Photography Contest - CDs?

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby MontaukPoint » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:58 pm

Merry Christmas,

Does anyone happen to know if LH Digest will be accepting photos on CD for the upcoming photo contest or do entries have to be printed out? I figure that CDs are easier to work with, since the photos are already digitized and they would not have to be scanned in, but I have heard of other photo contests accepting only printed entries before.

Thanks,
-Alan
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Biggy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:17 pm

Alan:

This comes directly from the rules as stated on Lighthouse Digest's Web site ... You may send as many photos as you'd like. Please send them all in the same envelope. All entries must be photographs no larger than 8"x10", no slides or negatives. All photographs become the property of Lighthouse Digest to be used as we see fit and cannot be returned.

From whatI can recall, the Digest never has accepted CDs, only prints. Good luck. I don't believe I am entering this year, mainly because I have to retain all the rights to my photos for the upcoming book.

Merry Christmas!
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby LeadingLight » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:06 pm

Biggy wrote:All photographs become the property of Lighthouse Digest to be used as we see fit and cannot be returned

Well that's an easy way to loose all ownership of your own photos. If you agree with this you can never prevent your photos being used for some aim you probably don't want to support. Very unusual to appropriate absolute ownership of someone else's artwork this way. I should think twice before sending any photos.
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:59 pm

This a discussion we've had several times here Frans, and many of us agree with you.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Blacktphoto » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:02 pm

I hope to not go too deeply into old news, but as someone who is new to the forum I’m curious…has a representative from Lighthouse Digest ever clarified this point? I don’t think the statement was intended to have the entrants forfeit their copyright; my interpretation was that they were politely saying that it isn’t practical to mail back, file, or in any way be held responsible for any single submission.

I would be very surprised if any magazine would risk the legal implications of copyright violation or merely the negative publicity of using an image without the photographer’s consent, and especially within a group primarily made up of its own subscribers.

If anyone can direct me to (or post a link to) some of the previous conversation on this topic I would be very interested in reading what has already been said.

Thanks,

- John
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Biggy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:49 pm

John ... Yes, this is something that has been discussed at length here on the forums, probably somewhere under the lighthouse photos and photojournalism board. The statement Lighthouse Digest makes is quite clear in its language. Two words, specifically, make the above-quoted statement an absolute in its clarification -- those words would be "All" and "property."

Some here on the board believe the statement quoted above is Lighthouse Digest's way of building a personal stock of photos without actually paying a stock agency to get them. And it would seem that way, since it states very plainly that ALL photos submitted become the PROPERTY of Lighthouse Digest and can be used in any way the publication or its editors see fit. I personally don't see the statement as any threat to my copyright, so long as the Digest credits me for taking my photo, which they usually do for most photographers outside the Digest staff.

The only reason I'm not submitting is to make certain that, in case I use a photo for my upcoming book, the publishing company I'm dealing with doesn't have a problem with me submitting such photos for possible use later on. I have submitted to the Digest's contest the past three years, and I have never had a personal issue with its policy.
David
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Biggy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:24 pm

John ... For your viewing pleasure, here is one of the threads regarding the Lighthouse Digest contest and its disclaimer ...

http://www.lighthousing.net/modules.php ... sc&start=0
David
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:08 pm

John, once you read up on the previous posts you should have a better idea of what's going on. But to clarify one point, what they're doing is not violating a copyright if the copyright holder grants it, which all do (whether they know it or not) by submitting to the contest.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Blacktphoto » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:25 am

Thanks very much for the link David. I poured myself a cup of coffee and read through all seven pages of the thread. It’s an interesting discussion, to say the least. The reason I wasn’t motivated to enter was largely summed up in the first page – at times some of the winning imagery has been less than captivating.

Thanks again for helping me get caught up. By the way, I live off of Exit 58. By internet standards we’re practically neighbors.

- John
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Biggy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:47 pm

No problem on the link, John. And yeah, with you being in Little Egg or Tuckerton, I'd say we are pretty much right down the road. In fact, if you ever pick up the Tuckerton Beacon newspaper, you probably know who I am by reading the sports section. LOL :lol:

As for the LH Digest contest, it's definitely true that the judges have selected photos that some might consider unworthy, but the reality is that all such contests are somewhat subjective. Somebody either likes the photo or doesn't. You never can speculate what somebody will like and not like, and I've learned more about that through selling my work. Sometimes, what I think might sell really well doesn't sell much, and then again what I sometimes think won't sell well flies like it had wings. Same goes for contests. What you might think is a winning photo somebody else doesn't. And we can come up with all kinds of reasons to ridicule one selection made, but the judges with this particular contest may not be looking for photographic excellence, but instead something else, perhaps something that simply makes them feel good about the photo.

So, with all that said, best of luck to those who choose to enter the LH Digest contest this year, and best wishes to those who opt out.
David
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby LeadingLight » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:40 pm

Hersh wrote:This a discussion we've had several times here Frans, and many of us agree with you.
Sorry, did not want to repeat an old discussion. It just surprised me so I wrote it down. Of course it is up to everyone to decide how to deal with this. I only gave my humble opinion :roll:
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:41 pm

No apologies necessary Frans, the length of the previous discussions illustrate just how much many of us have had to say on this topic!!
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photography