|

Lighthouses 2007

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby MontaukPoint » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi All,

I took a moment to scan through my photo collection and have attached some of the best ones. For me, this past year was not the best for photography. I visited about a dozen new lighthouses and revisited several - ranging from Tobermorey, Ontario to Montauk, New York.

Big Tub, Tobermorey, Ontario. I took this while on a Georgian Bay glass-bottom boat tour. Taken in September.

Lions Head Harbour, Lions Head, Ontario. I was at a friend's cottage for the Labour Day weekend and visited this light several times. This was taken just before sunset. f/8, ISO 80 at 1 sec. exposure.

Cape Crocker, Cape Crocker, Ontario. I had read that this light had a Fresnel lens, which is one of the reasons I took the one hour detour. Arriving there, I found the tower in poor shape, no Fresnel lens and surrounded by a chain link fence. On the way out, I found a hole in the fence, and stuck the camera through. The sky was a pale blue colour - the thing I hate the most - and I shot it in B+W. Taken in September.

Chrisitan Island, Ontario. Located on an Indian reservation, I had to wait about 45 minutes for the ferry to return from the island to the mainland to pick up a few vehicles and myself. After about a 15 minute boat trip, I arrived at the island. After a 10 minute drive, I arrived at the lighthouse. it was a bad day for photos - a pale blue sky, so I switched to B+W. Taken in August.

Midland Point Range Front, Midland, Ontario. It took me longer than expected to arrive here. I left my tripod at home, it was minutes before sunset, the lighthouse was located beside a house and surrounded by trees. I snapped off a few, and came back with this being the best one. Taken in May.

Victoria Harbour Range Rear, Victoria Harbour, Ontario. I came to the Victoria Harbour with little information on this lighthouse's location. While driving around down by the shoreline, I glanced up at the high landscape behind the town and saw the lighthouse. I had to scamble up a steep hill to get close to this one. Taken in May.

Olcott, Olcott, New York. This is a replica of the original lighthouse located about 45 minutes from the Niagara Falls border. I visited this on the way to Thirty Mile Point. It took me a while to find an angle to take a photo with no power lines around the lighthouse. Taken in August.

Thirty Mile Point, Barker, New York. I visited this lighthouse at the worst time of day for photography - noon. I took this from a short, narrow concrete pier jutting out from the rocks. A tour group was also visiting, and just reached the top of the tower when I reached the end of the pier. However, I managed to quickly shoot a few photos before they came out around the lantern. I still managed to take an O.K. photo. Taken in August.

Oswego Pierhead, Oswego, New York. After reading that this light was a fair distance offshore, I doubted that I would get a decent photo. Finding it closer than I expected, I found a state park (a War of 1812 fort which I can't recall the name of) located high up on a bluff. I shot off about 100 photos that all came out similar. Taken on my way back from the NYC area in June.

Esopus Meadows, Esopus, New York. I visited this one twice in 2007, once in June and once in August. The first time, it was a rainy day, but I got lucky and caught a large freighter heading down towards NY. This time there was a large concentration of lily pads lining the shore, reaching out several hundred feet. Taken at the end of August.

Lynde Point, Connecticut. I was down in Connecticut and New York in November. I decieded to take my chances and detour down to Lynde Point to see I could shoot it. I parked near the end of the public road, climbed onto the top of the vehicle and set up my tripod. I took around 50 photos before packing up and heading to New London for the night. Taken just after sunset during the 'Blue Hour'. f/7.2, ISO 200 at 1 sec. exposure.

New London Harbor, New London, Connecticut. While waiting for the cross-sound ferry, I decieded to take a drive over to this lighthouse. I was there the previous night, but I had nothing else to do (not that I'm complaining about lighthousing :lol: ). I wanted to find a new angle to photograph it from and I suceeded with this. It was another pale blue day, so I switched to B+W. Taken in November.

New London Ledge, New London, Connecticut. I took this from the upper deck of one of the cross sound ferries - a former World War Two LST (Landing Ship Tank). I have a big interest in WW2 so this was becoming a good day. Yes, this was the ferry I was waiting for while at the New London Harbor lighthouse. The sky was still pale blue, so I kept shooting in B+W.

Montauk Point, Montauk, New York. What good year would be complete without a visit to one's favourite lighthouse? Usually I don't spend that long shooting from this point (Camp Hero State Park), but I did this time. I checked the wave forecast on the way down, and it called for 8-10 footers. The park was filled with surfers, so I moved as far away from them as possible, so I would not get them in my photos. Unfortuanetly, there were still several people on the beach in my shots. The waves did not break close to shore, but still lead to some good photos. I took over 900, and it took me a while to sort through them. Besides my local lighthouse, this was the last one I visited in 2007.

Another...

-Alan
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby ericlighthouse » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:40 am

Very nice shots. I especially like the Victoria Harbour Range Rear picture (Like the angle).
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby MontaukPoint » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:44 am

Thanks, I got lucky with Victoria Harbour. Usually the leaves are so thick you can hardley see the ligthouse. I revisited in August with bad results...

The front light was demolished in the 1990s soon after deactivation. There is a restaurant on the shore that has a "resonable facsimile" (quote from a restaurant staff member) of the front light attached to it. I doubt that the original had the same style lantern as the replica does (looked kind of small and out of porportion), but at least Victoria Harbour has two lighthouses again.

-Alan
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:31 am

Alan ... thanks for sharing ... Seems many of your Ontario lights are similar to my Nova Scotia experience ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby wheland » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:45 am

Grover1 wrote:Alan ... thanks for sharing ... Seems many of your Ontario lights are similar to my Nova Scotia experience ...

I was thinking the same thing. It's still nice to see different lighthouses- even if it's sometimes hard to tell which one is which. :D

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby bert911 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks for sharing your great photos!

Robert
bert911
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:25 pm

Alan, I loved Thirty Mile Point, which was the only one of these lighthouses that I have actually seen! We visited there on a gorgeous late September day just a few months ago.

Thanks for sharing those beautiful photos!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:18 pm

These are great Alan, nice work!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby mombo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:53 pm

Very nice Alan. Quite a few Ontario lighthouses I've never seen. When you were in Oswego you were at Fort Ontario.
mombo
Head Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Thanks Everyone.

I have not visited any lighthouses in the new year yet, but I might see one this Saturday. Mombo, thanks for the name of the fort. When posting the original message I had a thought it was Fort Ontario but I wasn't sure.

-Alan
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Return to Lighthouse Photography