|

Me, Gary, and my new D-300 (hold onto your bandwidth!)

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Wed May 21, 2008 9:01 pm

While the Mad Scientist is in town for his big gallery show he's of course made some time to shoot the lights of the SW coast of Michigan. And of course I am taking every opportunity to tag along. Last night we shot the sunset at St. Joe together for the first time in well over 2 years. He stayed up on the bluff most of the evening while I spent most of my time down on the pier, so our photos should have some variation. Until I get the slides in I'll post some of my favorites from the brand new D-300. (which I love)

Not much narration needed here, I'll just let the photos do the talking. For geekphotostats, all were shot on my Nikon D300 with a Nikkor 18-200 VR lens.

Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Wed May 21, 2008 9:12 pm

And for those who heard tell of a strange sasquatch-like creature who was seen prowling the hills of Tiscornia park yelling at photographers standing on the beach....

I got photographic evidence of it's existence !!!!

Frightening, ain't it ??
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed May 21, 2008 9:24 pm

Oohs and aahs hardly seem appropriate, Mike. Those photos are just spectacular.

As for the second post, to know him is to love him, scary and all! haha :lol: That shot is truly special! :mrgreen: I just wish I could be there as originally planned.
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed May 21, 2008 11:30 pm

Brilliant stuff Mike. I really loved the first one of the series. You missed your vocation matey. Instead of shooting crims you should be shooting scenes.
Wonderful.

Which zoo did that creature escape from?
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Thu May 22, 2008 4:14 am

Mike,

Thanks for sharing ... We're all going to have our preferred ... I like the way the catwalk was illuminated, fourth one down ...

Sasquatch like? Time to put your skills to use ... a strong hunch persists that, should you have taken foot print molds, there would be a match of those found in Tiscornia with those found along the sands and shore of the NJ coast ... The man cuts a wide swath ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Thu May 22, 2008 5:28 am

I think the creature escaped from the William J. LePetomane institute for the criminally insane sasquatch. (This, gentlemen, represents a huge step forward in the treatment of the insane sasquatch!)

Kevin, I might not be able to make a vocation out of it, but I do enjoy this more than photographing crime scenes & autopsies I assure you.

Leah, I was thinking how cool it would be if you were up here with us. I really wish it would have worked out.

Thanks all for the kind words, hopefully we'll get some more keepers tonight at Holland if all goes well.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Thu May 22, 2008 5:43 am

William J. LePetomane institute for the criminally insane sasquath :?: :?: :?: :?:

Have you been watching too many old Mel Brooks movies, Hersh?

Cool shots. I probably would have spent more time down on the pier silhouetting the catwalk had the color been more intense. I shot some from down there a few years ago (like 6 or 7 now, probably) where the color was truly intense. I'll have to post one or two of those for comparsion next week. In the meantme, I need to find a CF card reader so I can get stuff off the card and into the laptop. Funny how you always manage to forget those darned things when you travel!
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Thu May 22, 2008 5:01 pm

All nice Mike, but #4 is the best of the bunch to me.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby beachbum1616 » Thu May 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Excellent set of images, Mike! I think #3 is by far the best. I just love the way the light dances off of the catwalk posts.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby ericlighthouse » Fri May 23, 2008 4:31 pm

I like the last one best.
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Fri May 23, 2008 8:14 pm

The picture of the sasquatch?
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sun May 25, 2008 6:28 am

The picture of the sasquatch?

Of COURSE that's going to be the fan favorite, Mike!! lol :mrgreen:

Mike, I really missed seeing you, and getting to meet Drysha. I hear that the opening of the exhibit was a big success, and I am SO sorry to have missed out! I will get to visit KRASL next month which will be fantastic, but it's just not the same as getting together with my "rainy night in St Joe" buddies!!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby rocky5128 » Mon May 26, 2008 8:23 am

I like # 4.

Kathy
rocky5128
Assistant Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Photography