|

Ships and Lighthouses

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:23 pm

We haven't done a thread on here in quite a while for folks to contribute images along some theme. Seems a good time to do it again as we're into the summer season and hopefully some of us are getting out to photograph lighthouses somewhere...

For a theme, I'm suggesting Ships and Lighthouses. There are a lot of places to watch various types of shipping passing lighthouses both on the Great Lakes and along the Atlantic Coast, as well as a few ports on the west coast like Point Bonita which sits at the mouth of the San Francisco Bay. And I'm certain that I'm not the only boat nerd among us... c'mon Hersh, I know a dyed in the wool boat nerd like you has got some as well... as I'm sure so do others among us.

To start it off, the shot below of the freighter Alpena was shot from atop the dunes in Tiscornia Park coming into St Joseph's Black River channel on September 10th, 2001 the day before the horrific events in NYC the following morning. I was on vacation that week for a week of photography along the shore of Lake Michigan.

This second shot is of the self-unloading barge the McKee Sons pushed by the tug Intrepid, whose superstructure is visible between the inner and outer St Joe north pier lights entering the channel on a rough November day in 2003. This was shot off the beach right at the water line. Not somewhere that I generally photograph from, but in this case I liked the perspective it gave to the waves, the lighthouses, and the ship.

Hopefully some of you will start contributing to this thread and we'll have a growing album of Ships and Lighthouses here on lh.net over the summer.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:46 pm

Well, since you called me out, I guess I have to contribute. And a couple of corrections for Gary's post, the Black river is in South Haven, St. Joe is the St. Joe river. Also the tug for the McKee Sons is the Invincible. Sorry Gary, but I do put the nerd in boat nerd.

Anyway, how's bout a couple freighter shots. I have been fortunate to catch boats passing lighthouses on several occasions, I'll just start out with a couple.

First, my favorite boat and my favorite light. The classic Edward L. Ryerson passing DeTour Reef light. I shot this one from the ferry dock on Drummond Island, the first stop on a day trip where I followed the ELR from here to the west end of the locks. That was a blast!!!

Another shot of DeTour, this one from the DeTour village side on the ferry dock. For this one I was actually on the upper deck of one of the Soo Locks tour boats that came down to play host for the DRLPS father's day cruise up the St. Mary's River. We were still tied up at this time, which gave me plenty of time to shoot this ship (the Canadian Navigator) passing DRL.

This isn't a freighter, but it's a special shot for me. A few years ago Gary was able to secure passage on the carferry S.S. Badger with a full tour so he could shoot a story for Great Laker. Well, I tagged along and got to do some shooting as well. This shot was taken from the bridge, a place passengers don't get to see, as we left Ludington passing the pierhead light.

Who else has some?
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Thanks for correcting me on the Invincible, Hersh. I was trying my darnedest to read the name off the tug from my slides but didn't have the angle to get the name clearly. You win some and you lose some, I guess.

I was sort of hoping you'd post the shot from the bridge of the Badger. I've got a ton of stuff shot on that trip that we didn't use for the Great Laker spread that got written following that trip. I'll have to post some of that at some point.

I don't know if Terry Forrest will see this thread or not, but I know she's got some stuff from St Joe as well... as for the Black River... duhhhhh I've been in New Joiysey too long already...

Nice shots of the Ryerson and DeTour :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:39 pm

Well you ring my bell, never sailed in the lakes. But ships or ships in any water way and I miss going to sea, so I'm happy to see what you guys have, keep them coming. :D "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:00 am

I prefer this kind of boat. STS Young Endeavour, the Australian Navy's sail training ship. What do you reckon Boats?
Sorry about the lack of a lighthouse but it's off the picture.

Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby boats » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:34 am

She is a Number one sailing ship Kevin, any ship under sail is an art for real sailors. :D "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:02 pm

Yes Gary, you have been in Joisey too long. I know it's killing you.

Since the sailing ships have entered the picture... Here are a few from several years ago when the tall ships' challenge was at Muskegon. I had never been to Muskegon before so I didn't know a good place to shoot from, and my photographic skills were still a little rough, but I still managed to get a few that looked decent with the lighthouse in frame.

This guy had just fired a cannon shot ...

Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:52 pm

Pretty good for a Muskegon tall ships novice Hersh. I don't think I ever intended to specify the type of "ship" just ships and lighthouses. Tall ships definitely fall under what I'd consider a ship. I've got some tall ships photos from South Haven that I'll probably post later tonight.

As for Joiysey, I know the locals love this place and I've heard people say they could never live anywhere else or have tried to live elsewhere and had to move back. They're all welcome to feel that way, it's their choice... Don't get me wrong, there are some very senic places around NJ. I've lived a lot of places around the country and have spent a lot of time out of the country over the years and, I'm sorry Barry, Joiysey isn't on my short list of places I'd like to live or that I'll retire to when I decide it's time to leave the pharmaceutical industry.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Excellent photos!!!!! Maybe I'll get lucky enough to see a ship on my trip to Grand Haven next week!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 pm

Since Kevin is fond of tall ships, here are a couple more for you! This first shot is the tall ship Tecumseth doing a sail by of the South Haven pier as part of the sail parade when the tall ships were leaving South Haven in 1998 to sail to Milwaukee, the next stop on their tour of the Great Lakes that year.

I was shooting with a friends borrowed 500 mm lens before I got mine when the True North saild down the channel past the South Haven lighthouse two years later. Some intrepid photographer was up on the catwalk shooting back up the channel as the True North sailed out of port. All things considered, a 300 mm lens would have been a better choice for this shot, but you take what you get...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:59 pm

Thanks for those last 2 shots Gary. You can't beat a rag and rope boat for a spectacle.
This is a shot of Young Endeavour surfing into Coffs Harbour. I don't know how they managed to keep her nose straight cos the rudder's out of the water.

Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:09 am

My contribution ...

Two things ... this picture was taken two summers back, the morning the bombings in London occurred, and Mere and I were coming back over from Lewes to Cape May ... Secondly, I'm taking the photo from the original post ... there is a better photo of this but it isnt on my laptop ... when I find it I will replace this ...

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:39 am

Cool shot of the Endeavour, Kevin, and a really good question :!:

I like that, Barry. Seems I"m seldom the one who gets the calm water for reflections... must be Mother Nature's knowledge of my passion for storms :?:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:18 pm

Here's a slightly different kind of shot. It's the Stewart J. Cort, the first thousand footer on the lakes. I shot this from within the lantern of the DRL.

Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Very cool perspective on that shot, Hersh. I like it :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photography