|

Ships and Lighthouses

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:49 pm

Hey Freighterboy... where's da freighter pics?
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:12 pm

Gary Martin wrote:Something I know that I don't get to see very often is an ocean-going ship in drydock. I don't know which ship this is, but it's currently in the Bayonne Drydock.

I might be totally wrong here, Gary, but that looks like a US Navy supply ship (Grey Funnel Line) with an opening bow. Where's Boats, he should know?

Great series of photos, by the way, I'm enjoying all of them.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:50 pm

I wondered about that Kevin... and, yes, where is Boats. He would definitely know...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:53 pm

If I remember correctly, I think these are supposed to be two of the largest cranes on earth and are located on the docks in Halifax Harbor.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:49 am

I believe it is a USN supply ship, I saw several of them on my boat tour of the Norfolk Navy yards a few years ago.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Gary Martin wrote:If I remember correctly, I think these are supposed to be two of the largest cranes on earth and are located on the docks in Halifax Harbor.

You may be right there Gary, I'd have to check but in Melbourne at the container terminal just near the Wesgate Bridge, there are a couple of mobile cranes about that size. They wander around the place picking up containers like matchboxes.

Incidentally, in this day and age, wouldn't you think they would have devised a better method of transporting them on ships. It's no wonder so many are floating around in the oceans.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:51 pm

At the rate fuel costs are rising, Kevin, moving containers by ship may well be the most economical way of getting stuff moved from continent to continent. I wonder how long they float before they leak, fill with water, and sink :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:33 pm

I've been going through some of what I shot last year in Halifax, NS and St Johns, NB and ran across a couple of shots of the Asian Chorus, a RO/RO vehicle hauler. (Roll On/Roll Off). These are posted in the order I shot them in. First going back up Halifax harbor on a small boat. A view looking down the harbor past the Georges Island lighthouse toward the vessel, and then finally from the deck of the Carnival Victory leaving Halifax when the Asian Chorus was under way in the late afternoon sun. In the third shot you can see the ramps on the starboard side of the ship. A smaller one around midships and a large angled ramp on the starboard side of her stern.

It was also interesting to note that when I logged on to post these, there had been 999 viewings on this thread, I guess making this the 1000th :!: I don't remember when we last had a thread here on lh.net that racked up that many viewings. Does anyone else recall any?
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby WisKeeper » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:40 pm

Gary - I really like your shot of the Mackinaw with the Cheboygan Crib Light!
Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
WisKeeper
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:37 am

Just had a quick look Gary and one of the Uncontest threads racked up 6,235 views a couple of years ago. This one has a fair way to go yet.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:04 am

Interesting number, Kevin! I guess those would have been the ones with high view tallys but I didn't remember any getting that high :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:31 am

It's on this page Gary a bit over half way down. There were 600 replies.

http://www.lighthousing.net/modules.php ... &start=100
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Maybe it's time to do another "uncontest" to get people posting photos :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:59 pm

Hog Island, Nassau, Bahamas
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:05 pm

I was out at Sandy Hook today for a belated lighthouse fix for National Lighthouse Day yesterday. I went out late this afternoon... Despite leaving late, a certain PARKway was aptly named, it was nothing but a parking lot headed south today.

Anyway, after taking far longer to get out to the Hook than I would have liked, I was still there in time to catch a number of ships entering and leaving New York Harbor. One of my planned targets today were some of the cruise ships leaving NYC, in this case, the Explorer of the Seas bound for the Bahamas passing the Romer Shoal light.

While it was fairly clear today, as summer air quality around this place goes, there was still quite a lot of crud in the air between where I was at the tip of the Hook and Romer Shoal, that 900 mm worth of lens didn't help much. Such is life...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

PreviousNext

Return to Lighthouse Photography