|

Leah crosses one off...

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Of her list of lighthouses she HAD to visit. Yes, our girl finally made it to Big Red, (in the daylight) with me in tow, last Thursday evening. She drove down from Grand Haven and I took her along the south shore of Lake Macatawa to the lighthouse itself. The skeeters were legion, and they were very thirsty, which was a problem since neither of us brought any repellent with us. ](*,) I'm still paying for that oversight, but it was worth it.

I'll let Leah give any additional travelouge she deems necessary, here are a couple of the photos I shot.

Looking back towards land...

Hunkered down on the rocks...

Looks like a reflection to me... How can I not shoot that?

And finally, our intrepid traveler finally allows me to take a photo of her good side.

Tomorrow I'll try to post some shots from the sunset. (you're not missing much, but I'll post them anyway)...

Weak sunset notwithstanding, it was still a very nice evening, we had a great time hanging out at the lake. I for one can't wait till we can do it again.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:29 pm

Hey Leah, glad you finally made it to BIG RED :!: We tried a couple years ago when you were up but an absolutely spectacular sunset at Grand Haven that night threw us too late to make it to Big Red before dark... and seeing it in the dark really doesn't get it, does it :?:

Smooth move there on the skeeter repellant, Freighterboy...
Last edited by Gary Martin on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:37 am

Hi Leah ...

Good to see ya' ... glad you made it.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby beachbum1616 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:19 pm

Isn't it nice to be able to cross off one from the "must see" list!?
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:37 pm

Yes, it was, Stephen! I also got my first view of the pier light at South Haven from up on the bluff, and revisited a few "old friends", including my buddy Mike. :mrgreen: I made it back to Little Sable, White River, Saint Joe, and of course the Grand Haven lights were practically right across the street from where I was staying with my family.

Mike, you did good with the photos, with the possible exception of the last one...................... :lol: I can't wait to get mine back. I burned 2-3 rolls of 35mm at Holland, so hopefully I'll come up with a decent shot or two!!!!

BTW, are YOU still itching?????? :roll:

Barry, you've got to get to Lake Michigan one of these days. It is definitely worth the trip! Lighthouses, ships, the dunes--the Sunset Side has it all! I can't wait to see my photos of the ride we took over the Silver Lake dunes. Spectacular! It's like a sightseeing tour and a roller coaster ride all in one!

PS: Gary, I'll never regret foregoing Big Red that night for the GH sunset!!!! That was probably once in a lifetime for me! And part of a truly special visit with a couple of truly special guys!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:16 am

So that people know what we're talking about, Leah, I'll have to pull that GH sunset shot out of my other computer's screen saver file and downsize it to post on here. Right now it's way too big for the average monitor :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:10 am

For whatever it's worth, this was shot with a Nikon F5 using Fuji Velvia 50 slide film. As for the color, Leah was there and can vouch for the fact that yes, it really was this intense! I think this has to be one of the most spectacular "regular" sunsets I've ever seen and photographed. I use that in quotes because, to my mind, very little can compare with the shots I managed to get of a sun pillar in South Haven in February a number of years ago, but that isn't what you'd call a "regular" sunset by any means.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:45 am

It still kills me that I missed this one, but I'm glad you got it so we all can see what it was like. I'm still waiting for a sunset that intense.... Maybe when I grow up.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:28 am

Speaking of growing up, Hersh, good luck, the tugs'll keep ya young whether you like it or not =)) =)) =))
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:57 pm

You guys may never grow up, but from my point of view, I don't think that's a bad thing! :lol:

Gary, I'm sure glad that I brought up the Grand Haven sunset............. :mrgreen:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Curiously, that sunset image was one of the ones that I offered to do for the Krasl exhibit but they didn't select it. LOL, maybe they figured that color that intense had to be Photoshopped... who knows???

I may have to do another big print of that image for my office... about time to recycle what's on the walls at the office anyway, so some of what I did for the Krasl exhibit will be going to the office later this month.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photography