|

On the inside looking out

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:41 am

I'm having a lot of fun with the ships & lighthouses thread (of course freighterboy would) but I want to try another theme post that might get some more of you involved. So I figured; just about everyone who has climbed a lighthouse has taken photos out the windows and off the gallery decks, so let's see them! There are usually no more beautiful places on earth than the spots they chose to put lighthouses (with some exceptions of course).

To start things off, this is a shot looking south from the gallery level of the Big Sable light in Ludington State Park. when I do these shots I usually like to put a little of the light itself in the shot to help set the scene.

And this is a view from the top of the Point Peninsula tower on the south shore of the U.P. The concrete walkways are all that's left to show the location of the keeper's dwelling portion of the lighthouse that was lost many years ago. I like playing with shadows like this to show the lighthouse without having the building itself in frame as opposed to the composition in the first shot.

And lastly, the view from the lantern of Assateague. I can't remember what direction this is, maybe SE? While we were up there some folks saw a wild horse down in the woods but I wasn't able to get a shot before it split.

So, that's the deal... I have more along this line, but I want to see what the rest of you have. Like the UNcontests of old, there are no rules, just find a photo in this theme and share it with the rest of us.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:00 am

You're on Freighterboy... I'm on the wrong computer right now, but I've got some comin' for ya later on today... I've got one of this type of shot from Two Harbors, MN that may end up being used in the Oct-Dec Marine Photography spread this year...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:12 am

Since Hersh started this thread with a shot from Big Sable, this is another from the watch room level of Big Sable looking north out over the dunes in the late afternoon.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:15 am

Somehow, when I think of views from the level of a lantern room or watch room, I always think of Cape Hatteras, so here are a few from up there a couple years ago in the fall.

This second image shows the shadow of the lighthouse and the keeper's and assistant keeper's residences on the lighthouse gorunds.

Finally, looking out from the watch room level, this view shows the actual Cape and the dangerous shallows of the Diamond Shoals beyond.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:17 am

C'mon, gang, some of you have to have shots taken from the tops of lighthouses...

Here are some from Currituck... a view, sadly, that most don't get to see because visitors are not normally allowed above the level of the watchroom.

This first shot is taken from inside the lantern room looking more or less SW past the beautiful Fresnel lens in the lantern room.

This second shot is from the watchroom level looking more or less south across Currituck Sound.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:50 am

Here are a couple more from the top of Currituck...

This first shot was taken, again looking more or less southwest from the level of the lantern room on the outside of the walkway around the lantern room.

And finally, one actually shot inside of the 1st order Fresnel lens in the lantern room atop Currituck.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby TenofHearts12 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:15 am

Sand Point Lighthouse, Escanaba, MI. August 2005
"Your never too old to do goofy stuff" (Ward Cleaver, Leave It To Beaver)
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:17 am

Very cool reflectiions and refractions in the Fresnel lens :!:

I've been to Sand Point but have never climbed that one. No way of telling when I'll be back that way again now that I live on the east coast, more or less...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:22 am

Here's one of Montauk that is a little unusual with the year 1860 in the iron work... This particular shot is taken looking back over the parking lot toward Long Island Sound.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:43 pm

The view from the top of Currituck is indeed magnificent, but to date my favorite view is from Cape Lookout, NC. I COULD be somewhat prejudiced having to do with my experiences at each place. While the Cape Lookout climb was part of a magical OBLHS weekend (who could forget Shark Boat ooh haha) versus the worst case of bronchitis I have ever experienced after the Currituck climb last Spring! :lol:

Any way you look at it, they are all worth the climb. I wish I had taken advantage of others when I had the opportunities.

And thanks for the photos, guys!!! Simply gorgeous, each and every one.

:D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:31 pm

I need to get a photo of the Currituck lens resized to post here, but, in the meantime, I've got some others that most probably have not had the chance to visit.

This first shot was taken from in the lantern room at Point Bonita at the mouth of San Francisco Bay looking back across the suspension bridge to the mainland.

This second shot was taken at twilight looking across the suspension bridge to the lighthosue with the Fresnel lens lighted.

I'll resize another one that shows the setting of the Point Bonita lighthouse from a distance. It is in a spectacular location perched atop a rocky promontory overlooking the Pacific Ocean.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby TenofHearts12 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:11 pm

Great shot of the Fresenl lens and the bridge!!!!
"Your never too old to do goofy stuff" (Ward Cleaver, Leave It To Beaver)
TenofHearts12
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:22 pm

Here are a couple more shots of Point Bonita to give folks who have never seen this spectacular lighthouse a better idea of the setting of it. This first shot was taken at 400 mm on Provia 400F slide film of some big waves coming in from the north Pacific. When those waves hit, you can feel the impact in your feet when you're down at the lower buillding at Point Bonita.

IMHO, sunset is the most spectacular time to see Point Bonita. Unfortunately, it isn't open to visitors at that hour other than perhaps when it's open for full moon nights. I've never been there on a full moon, but I'll take the several times I've watched the sunset from there with no cmplaints!

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:21 am

As you might have suspected, I do have shots of the full Fresnel lens at Currituck. The light the day this was shot was very harsh, but hey, you take whatever you get when you're up there.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:26 am

Well, I was holding off posting more shots to give others a chance to throw their shots in here. Maybe everyone's on 4th of July vacation so I'll put in a few more to keep things going. But I would say again that these threads would be much more fun if it was more than just Gary & I posting photos. So jump in and show us what you've got !!!

This is looking straight down from the gallery of the South Manitou Island lighthouse in Lake Michigan. I hate heights, so seeing this shot still gives me a little bit of a tingle in the scary place. But I digress...

And turning 180 degrees, this is the keeper's dwelling and connecting walkway. This structure used to be the lighthouse itself, with a simple lantern at the roof peak a'la Grand Traverse lighthouse. (The two were built off the same plans, but eventually remodeled differently.

Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photography