|

On the inside looking out

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55 pm

Referring back to the shots from the lantern room at Bodie Island...

Eric, it took 9 months of discussions with the National Park Service, proof of $1M in insurance on my hide, and the offer of an ultrawide photograph of the 1st Order Fresnel lens in the lantern room at Bodie Island as a quid pro quo to finally convince the NPS to let me climb Bodie Island to photograph the light. The whole thing came close to coming unraveled the day I was to make the climb because the person that I had been working with was on vacation that week. It finally did happen that day though and it was an experience that I certainly will never forget. There's a page on my website of some of the 100 or so shots that I took during the climb and in the lantern room. You can get to those photos via the following link:

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/atlanticc ... die_10.htm
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:59 pm

Shifting to the left coast, here are some shots from inside of the Point Sur light located off Hwy 101 in Big Sur. This first shot is looking up through the deck prisms into the lantern room. The group restoring and maintaining Point Sur sells engraved deck prisms to raise funds for the restoration and preservation. Two are engraved for your $500 donation (I think that figure is correct) One is permanently installed in the lantern room and the duplicate is given to the donor. Personally, I think that it's a pretty neat idea :!:

Unfortunately, Point Sur now has a rotating aero beacon in the lantern room, but it's worth the visit regardless.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:15 pm

Here's another Cape Henry from Cape Henry.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Previous

Return to Lighthouse Photography