|

On the inside looking out

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:25 pm

Here are some shot from inside of the lantern room of the Absecon Lighthouse in Atlantic City, NJ. These first few were shot with a 10.5 mm fisheye. The first one is what the fisheye actually sees... the black areas have nothing recorded in them on the sensor by the lens.

Using software to straighten things out gives you the following pano...

Or correcting things to a full frame format with software gives you...

Looking southeast toward the Atlantic Ocean with a normal lens past the Fresnel...

And finally the entire Fresnel lens using a 14 mm f/2.8 rectilinear corrected ultra wide on film...

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:36 am

A little different from the normal lighthouse views, but fantastic nonetheless! And what a beautiful Fresnel lens!

Everyone's contributions here are most excellent. Mike, I love that view of the Mighty Mac!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby ericlighthouse » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:48 am

The other Eric was right. It is seven foot knoll (Maryland).
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Cool, that means my guess was in the right ballpark anyway...

Now for another shot, I found this one while looking for a shot for the ships & lighthouses thread. This is, once again, the carferry Badger, this time entering Ludington harbor as shot from the lantern of the Ludington Breakwater light. I got lucky this day and found the tower open for visitors as the Badger was getting close to home, so I made sure I was up on top when she went past. I'm glad I did!

Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Great shot, Mike! I knew that had to be the Badger when I saw the photo.

Any more? :wink:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Cool shot, Mike, that's one lighthouse I've never been inside of. Great timing :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks. It's not the prettiest light on the inside, about as utilitarian as you can get, but of course the view from the lantern is what it's all about.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:45 pm

Ok, two more and I'm going to bed.

When we were on Beaver Island a few years ago, I did a lot of lighthousing. Of course I went to Beaver Head light, which they just leave open for you to tour at your leisure. They even have a Fresnel, probably 5th order, just sitting in a wood & glass case right inside the door. But thanks to their trusting spirit, I was able to climb and get a nice view. Nice if there hadn't been so much haze in the air and blah colors... So I won't post any from the lantern, but I do like this one I shot on the way back down the stairs.

Also during that trip, we took a boat tour to a couple remote, outlying lighthouses, including Squaw Island. This place has been abandoned for years and looks it. There was some scaffolding there & some building materials, but the place was still a wreck. It was also left open for all to visit, they even had a sign-in log. So we climbed the tower and got a couple shots. With the high midday sun the light wasn't so good, but with such a remote light, one takes what one gets.

The building you see in this shot is the old barn that by all rights should have fallen to the ground decades ago, but stubbornly stayed up. I think at one point it was an assistant keepers' dwelling.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:49 pm

I'll eventually get around to digging out more shots from in lantern rooms, but for the moment, try this one shot up into the lantern room of Ponce de Leon Inlet lighthouse from the watch room. The lantern room at Ponce isn't open to visitors. Undaunted, a fisheye lets you get most of it anyway...

And I kind of like the effect of the fisheye bending every straight line in the lantern room into an arc....
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:03 pm

I'm going to throw out a few from the beautiful upper peninsula of Michigan.

This first one is from the lantern on the Crisp Point light, which is at the end of the proverbial long and winding road. The tower is often open so visitors can come and go as they please, which is great. This shot shows the view looking west along the shore. Out in the water you can see the wooden piling breakwaters the USCG installed decades ago in an attempt to abate the erosion of the point. The walkways are nice new composite decking paths installed by the preservation group that runs the light.

And this is the view from the lantern of Split Rock, Minnesota. The buildings are keepers dwellings I believe, and a workroom.

This is a little different, looking out one of the front porch windows of what's left of 14 mile Point. The front porches are about the only part of the building you can get in to, since all the floors were destroyed in the fire.

Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:06 pm

This one is not so much for the view, but for the cool optical effect in the glass chip. Like a little thumbnail image... If you look, you can see the red railings in there.

Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:11 pm

And I thought we were the only country with upside down lighthouse. Good one Fred.
Here's my contribution to the theme looing down from Greencape lighthouse and North up the coast to where I live. This photo shows the newly refurbished roofs of the cottages. They replaced the tiles with corrugated stainless steel because the tiles kept getting blown off. I,agine the cost of the new roofing. They also replaced the gutters and downpipes with stainless. "They" being the Parks and Wildlife people:-

Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:21 pm

One from inside of the lantern room of Old Presque Isle lighthouse looking out toward Lake Huron.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:29 pm

One from Hersh's back yard, so to speak... a view from the lantern room of the Old Michigan City lighthouse.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Hersh's post of the ruins of 14 Mile Point jogged my memory of a shot that I took looking up at the lantern room through a burned out door...

It's so sad to see this proud old lighthouse deteriorating as the years pass from its total exposure to the elements...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

PreviousNext

Return to Lighthouse Photography