|

Great Laker Cover - South Haven

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:35 pm

I've been fortunate to have had a run of covers lately, the latest on the cover of the April-June issue of Great Laker

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:27 am

Bravo and congratulations!!! :yay: Some well-deserved recognition! :mrgreen:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 am

Nice cover. Why didn't they identify the lighthouse though? South pier lighthouse is a little vague...
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:59 pm

My congratulations as well ... I've always been keen on that shot ...

Following up on Mike's observation, any thought of why a shot of a light in a November gale for the April-June edition?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:10 pm

I didn't think of that Barry, good point. Disregard what I said before Gary, it's a stupid cover!! :wink:

But seriously, I'm guessing the answer to both questions is, they're the publisher, they can do whatever they want !! And as long as the image looks good, it's good enough.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:57 pm

Actually, Barry and Freighterboy, there's an excellent reason for what is on the cover. My Marine Photography spread for the April-June issue first of all features South Haven. Second, the title of the spread is South Haven - From Stormy to Serene. We think of the serene summer sunsets but they're juxtaposed between the storms in the spring (I've seen and photographed massive storm driven waves as late as the beginning of June) and the normally more spectacular fall storm season that starts as early as September some years. Actually, September 10th, 2001, I was photographing massive waves at South Haven that were driven by a storm sweeping across the lake from the general direction of Chicago. Funny, isn't it how you remember where you were and what you were doing on occasions that are associated with some point in history, like where you were when you heard that Kennedy was shot... Sorry, Freighterboy, you probably weren't around or weren't paying attention for that one, but I'm sure Barry remembers. The third reason for the image on the cover is that that image is also one of the "stormy" shots featured in the Marine Photography spread.

I guess too, when you come right down to it, the Editor/Publisher is at liberty to put whatever she wants on the cover of any issue.

So, there you have it... a couple of good reasons why the image that's on the cover is on the cover... God that sounds like doubletalk....
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:17 pm

Fourth Grade, waiting for our class's turn to go to the book fair ... the news of the Kennedy assasination came over the classroom intercom ...

The cover mentions Whitefish Point, where I know you've shot
The cover mentions The Seaway Trail, which must be on your list
The cover mentions Frank Lloyd Wright, who's prime we missed :wink:

As Mike pointed out, there is no mention of which lighthouse this might be so we'll go along with the "editor's choice" option ... and for sure, he chose wisely ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:28 pm

=)) I'll be sure to tell HER, Barry, that you thought "he" chose well.

Actually, since I do a regular Marine Photography spread for every issue of Great Laker, the title of my spread is only occasionally included on the cover. Most of the time they do mention which lighthouse it is when I have a cover... this time for some reason they didn't. Generally, Michelle surprises me when I have a cover and I usually don't know in advance when I do have one in an upcoming issue. That was the case with the April-June issue. Makes it more fun!
Last edited by Gary Martin on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 am

I got my copy of the Seaway Review/Great Laker yesterday, and it's a terrific issue. Gary's contributions are outstanding, as always, and there are some great articles in the April-June magazine.

:mrgreen:
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:36 am

Knowing what I know of the editorial process within the publishing industry, I'm going to guess that the caption on the cover was botched. It probably should have read, "South Haven Pier Lighthouse" instead of just "South Pier Lighthouse." Somebody, just my opinion, missed a word when typing it onto the page, just because it wouldn't make sense for them to put "South Pier Lighthouse," unless there was a "North Pier Lighthouse." Know what I mean? :D

If I were going to question anything, I'd have to wonder why the editor at Great Laker didn't (and maybe doesn't for all I know -- I don't get the magazine so I don't know its track record on this) or doesn't put a cover story headline on the front cover. Generally speaking, most magazines that I know of will throw a headline on the front cover in accordance to whatever their cover shot is. Like I said, maybe Great Laker just doesn't do things that way. I know whenever our papers do special magazine-type inserts, the cover shot always has a headline to go with it. Just my thoughts ...

Anyway ... definitely a nice cover for you, Gary. How many covers does that make for you now? Do you have an exact count? Or do you even care how many? Just wondering ...
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby WisKeeper » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:31 pm

I got my issue of the Great Laker last Tuesday and took it to the Concert on the Capitol square with me Wednesday after work. All the ladies on the lawn around me were reading the magazine and looking at Gary's photos during the concert. What is more is that they were reading the Great Lakes Seaway Review too!
Last edited by WisKeeper on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
WisKeeper
Head Keeper

Postby Rob143 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:25 pm

Biggy wrote:Knowing what I know of the editorial process within the publishing industry, I'm going to guess that the caption on the cover was botched. It probably should have read, "South Haven Pier Lighthouse" instead of just "South Pier Lighthouse." Somebody, just my opinion, missed a word when typing it onto the page, just because it wouldn't make sense for them to put "South Pier Lighthouse," unless there was a "North Pier Lighthouse." Know what I mean? :D

Actually David, it is on the south pier at South Haven so technically it is correct as is. It simply doesn't clarify which south pier. That said I suspect your typo suggestion is still the most likely reason for it to be listed as such.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:49 pm

Rob is correct, there is no North Pier lighthouse, but the usage is still correct. I too surmise that it was simply an omission that they will probably correct in the final printing, as Gary usually gets advance PDFs of his content, which is what I would guess we're looking at here.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby WisKeeper » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:22 pm

My copy says "South Pier Lighthouse in a November gale"
Suzanne Murphy
President, Wisconsin Lighthouse District (WILD)
WisKeeper
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:38 am

Perhaps it won't be fixed.... :lol:
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photography