|

LOW Low low light shooting

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:24 pm

It's no secret I like shooting in low light - deep sunset color, the blue hour, It's kinda my thing. But during my recent trip to da UP I got to do some experimenting...

I was out on the ferry dock on Drummond to get some shots of the Saginaw taking on a load of limestone at the dock. I missed blue hour, but I didn't want to waste the opportunity, so I started banging off frames...

Nikon D300, Nikkor 18-200 VR @ 105mm, 3sec, f5.6, ISO 100

But you can only take so many shots of an object that isn't moving and is in constant light, so I decided to try shooting DeTour village, about a mile away across the river.

Nikon D300, Nikkor 18-200 VR @ 22mm, 120sec, f3.8, ISO 100

In that shot you can look & see a small streak of light in front of the town, that's the ferry coming back over to the island. I thought it might be cool to get a long shot of that boat with it's bright searchlights streaking across the frame, so I set up for another exposure with the same settings and just kinda 'winged it'.. And this is what I got.

Nikon D300, Nikkor 18-200 VR @ 105mm, 120sec, f3.8, ISO 100

While that was definitely the highlight of the night, I liked this one too. This is a super long exposure looking north - northwest up the river. I wanted to see what it would look like to get the various blinking AToN lights in the frame. The subtle lighting you see on the underside of the clouds is the light from Sault Ste. Marie, which is roughly 43 miles away as the crow flies. Of course to my naked eye that light was not visible, so I was really surprised when I saw it on the LCD. There was very little trace of remaining sunlight here, the sun was probably 45-80 degrees from here when it set. You may also notice star trails in the sky, this is the first time I've gotten this in an image.

Nikon D300, Nikkor 18-200 VR @ 18mm, 267sec, f5.6, ISO 100

This is yet another example of leaving your mind open when you go out to shoot, there'll always be other subjects to photograph if you think to look for them.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:30 am

Mike, how are you enjoying the D300?
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:00 pm

Ross, I can't say enough good things about it!! I had my D70 for a few years, and was used to it, if not completely satisfied. But moving to the D300 was like going from a go-cart to a Cadillac. Of course I could have stepped up to a Rolls-Royce with the D3, but that wasn't an option economically.

Anyway, the controls are intuitive for someone used to a pro-level Nikon SLR, the LCD is like looking at a wide-screen plasma TV, and the best thing is the photos are great. I mean, there's a 4.5 minute exposure posted above and it looks like it could have been shot on film. No way my D70 would have done that.

Do I sound like I'm gushing? Maybe a little.....
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:22 pm

That's great, I've had the D200 for a while now, and was contemplating the D300, but I haven't had a chance to really read up on it. There doesn't seem to be too much of a difference between the two (at least not enough to jump yet). Going from the D70 to the D200 was a good move for me, I can imagine the D70 to the D300 was even better. How is it ergonimic-wise and such?
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:40 pm

Ergonomics are great, especially once I got the battery grip for it. I have a set of D200s at work, and I have to say I like the 300 much better. Better screen, better battery life, and as Dr. Evil said, "What the French call a certain.... I don't know what". It just feels better and seems to function more smoothly for me than the 200. Maybe my imagination.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photography