|

Gary's Gonna' Need Advice

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Grover1 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:48 pm

TS Hannah ... what's left of her ... is expected to track up the Atlantic coast this weekend ... forecasters are saying possibly the Virginia coast Friday, the New Jersey coast Saturday, and up through New England Sunday

High tides with tropical force gales ... where should he be to simulate as close as possible his beloved Michigan gales?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Barry that's about as close to a no brainer as it gets. A vantage point where I can see/shoot the Harbor of Refuge light with whatever lens it takes :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Oh yeah, I can't wait to see these. Go kill it Gary!!
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Looking at one of the wave forecasts for the Atlantic coast this afternoon, Harbor of Refuge will get waves but they're going to peak Saturday evening between 2100 hrs and 0300 Sunday Morning. The area around Sandy Hook iis supposed to peak for wave height from about 0600 Sunday morning until 1200. The south shore of Long Island around Fire Island will get better waves than NY Harbor and the mouth of Raritan Bay but there aren't any lighthouses along the shore where you'd get good photo ops. The best bet may end up being the Romer Shoal lighthouse on Sunday morning.

For those of you who live in this area of the country but aren't familiar with the location of Romer Shoal relative to the tip of Sandy Hook, the best bet would be with about a 300 mm lens or longer (assuming you're shooting digital and get about a 1.5X telephoto factor) from the elevated viewing platform at Sandy Hook. I'll probably go with a 300 mm f/4 or a 200-400 f/5.6 lens, assuming that I decide to go out there to shoot.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:17 pm

The bands of clouds started rolling in along the mid New Jersey coast late this afternoon ... as of 545pm the storm hasnt made landfall in the Carolinas yet ... the first rain is expected here at Exit 100 around 10pm ish and the Tropical Storm warning extends up the coast a few miles to Sandy Hook ...

Gary ... I know you'll choose the best spot ... cannot wait to see the results ... wish I could call out tomorrow just to shoot around the Ocean Grove pier ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Red » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:34 am

Gary,
The best place to shoot HOR is from Cape Henlopen State Park at the Point. I imagine the waves should start pounding it late this afternoon. We had to cancell our last tour because of this Storm. We're hoping our dock survives the pounding it's going to take. We've had to rebuild it eight times in six years, very difficult place to keep things in order. RED
Red
Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography