|

What lighthouse is it - round 6

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 pm

Eric, actually, you are correct, it is the Peterhof lighthouse. My photo of it was shot in 2002, Frans. It looks like it got a fresh coat of paint between when I shot it and whenever you did. I have a photo of the back door and the sign in Russian that was going to be the next clue.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby LeadingLight » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:22 am

It was just a photo I found on Flickr. Had I been there, then I would probably know the red vertical stripe on the front, but I've never been there. (And don't call a sea an ocean :evil: we aliens don't understand that :cry: )
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:26 am

Well done Eric. My database doesn't have that light in it. :cry:
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:39 pm

Frans, to my mind, it comes down to is it salt water? If it is, eventually it connects to an ocean...

The difference between a "sea" and "ocean" I suspect generally comes down to a question of size. But, that said, how do we explain the Sargasso Sea in the Atlantic Ocean off the US East Coast :?:

I guess you can count me as a heathen living on the western shore of the big pond.... LOL
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Weasel58 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:49 pm

I remembered that Gary posted some pictures of the Rostral columns a few years back so I checked all the lighthouses in the St. Petersburg area on Lighthouse Directory http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/

It's one of my favorite websites to kill an hour or two on.
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:02 pm

The Rostral Columns in St Petersberg are pretty spectacular :!: More so when they're lighted with flames in the cauldrons atop them, which I had what I understand is the relatively rare opportunity to see, albeit without a camera in hand since we were headed to dinner. :(

I'll have to see what other goodies I can find in my image collection... Stay tuned.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Previous

Return to Lighthouse Photography