|

Animation experiment (bandwidth hog)

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:30 pm

Gary's been bugging me for a few years to try and assemble an animation of a wave, and I finally got around to it tonight. I didn't crop register it, I was basically just trying to get the mechanics of the process down.

The file is about 2.3 megs, so it may take a little while to load if you have a slow connection. If you're on dial-up, go get yourself a sandwich...

I've finally finished sorting the files from this trip, so I should be able to get some more posted this weekend.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:27 pm

Mike ... I think its good ... perhaps it needs a little longer runup to the splash, but that's just my take and taste ... I like it a lot.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Hersh » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:35 am

You got what I shot...

On this day it was tough to 'call' which waves would be big until they actually hit the wall. More difficult than usual, I think. To get a good one like this from start to finish would have meant a lot of long sequences of waves that didn't make the grade filling up my cards.

So I agree, but there's not much I can do about it now.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Blacktphoto » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:28 am

Nice work Mike. How many frames were involved in the animation?

- John
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:35 am

Barry, you don't have time for a "run up to the splash" You'd have to start shooting too early and you'd blow the buffer in most cameras before you got to the good stuff, especially if you're shooting at 8 or 10 frames/sec. Besides, a lot of the waves are a dud anyway and don't give you much. One other thing... you can tell from right before the wave hits if it's going to be a good blast of spray but there is NO early indication a second or two before impact what the wave is going to do. Chalk that up to wave mechanics 101 and a lot of time spent on my part working on that problem.

Not bad for a first effort, Hersh. 'bout time you got off your butt and did one :!: Crop registering the individual images you're using for the sequence will help stabilize the image a lot, but that process is also a significant amount of work. In this particular sequence, the buffeting of the camera wasn't too bad anyway, unlike the last big storm that I shot from the bluff in November 2005. Hard to believe that it's been nearly 3 years since today is November 1st... WOW :!: Anyway, the instructions on how to crop register are somewhere on one of the Photography 101 things I did a couple of years ago that Ross had posted on lh.net if you need 'em.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:35 am

What I also liked was the "shades" of the lake ... from the grayish closer to shore to the aqua to the deeper blue to a darker aqua to a still deeper blue ... even the green in the curl of the waves coming a shore "inside" the imaginary line of the lighthouse...

It suggests strongly, to borrow a cliche, that there's a whole lot going on beneath the surface ... as well on or above it ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:48 am

Not to steal Hersh's thunder, but here's an animation from that November gale shot at 8 frames/second. The total number of frames used in the animation was 24, and it was crop registered.

This sequence above is running in real time. You can watch the same wave on my website at half or quarter speed if you're interested.

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/SH_wave_1 ... 9_anim.htm
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:41 am

There are 14 shots in the above animation, shooting at the highest quality JPEG setting I can get about 12-14 before the buffer fills up.

As for the photo 101 you mentioned, I looked and didn't find it. There are a couple chapters missing from the articles posting and there's no trace in the message board archives. If you still have a copy of the document on your system in text file I'd like to take a look-see.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby LighthouseNews » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:41 am

Wow Gary. That is excellent. As is Hersh's. Both amazing captures.

Gary, I'm posting a link to yours from my site if that's okay.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:49 am

Feel free, Sue. Here's a link to the page where the storm animations start on my site:

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/Storm_Ani ... n_Page.htm
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby LighthouseNews » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:56 pm

Thank you Gary. Here's a link to the post.
The Gales of November
Grabbed some stuff off your bio page. If anything's wrong let me know, but I did leave a link to it.

And you were out to Pemaquid in April? Wish I'd known! 8)
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby beachbum1616 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:25 pm

I think you did well with that one Mike, thanks for sharing it! It is funny that you said to go and get a sandwich because I did that one time waiting for one of Gary's animation to load on my dial up. It is so nice not having dial up any more!!!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:19 pm

Well that is different, so much for film.. Nice work Gary, I'm doing good to just keep a computer up and running and you folks or way the hell up there doing this stuff. Glad we have you folks on board to show your work. :D "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:16 am

Actually Boats, those can be done with film cameras just as well as digital. The film just has to be scanned in to the computer and it's the same as a digital camera file.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:19 am

THe only difference between digital and film is the cost of the film and processing. The film and processing costs for the last storm I shot on film, Boats, was $900 :!: My wife put her foot down about that day.... HARD.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photography