|

Grand Unveiling of of my website

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby MontaukPoint » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi All,

After nearly seven months of work, I am pleased to announce the launch of my photography website.

http://www.alanbotphotography.com

Please have a look! There are quite a few lighthouse photos.

Alan
Last edited by MontaukPoint on Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Grover1 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:33 pm

Alan ...

Just took a very quick cursory tour ... I like the look, like the work ... best of luck with the site
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Ross » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Great stuff Alan! :D
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby MontaukPoint » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:44 pm

Thanks Barry and Ross. Be sure to check back in a few days when I will have my Maine, Ohio and Michigan galleries online.
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:02 am

I know how much work it can be to put together a site Alan, nice job. (it would look better with a Nikon in the upper right corner, but that's just me talkin') 8)

One note I would make is that the copyright notice on the photos tends to detract from the photos themselves. I experimented with that on my site as well, but I decided the dubious benefits weren't worth the damage to the overall feel of the photos. To 'copy protect' my images I just make sure I keep the resolution low so if someone does grab one they can't do much with it before it becomes a blocky mess.

I know we had a lengthy discussion on this many moons ago, if you search the archives you should find it.

One thing I learned after putting together a site is that it's never, EVER done. You'll keep tweaking and modifying it forever, and that's what makes it truly yours. Enjoy the ride.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:44 pm

Ditto to Hersh's comment on the distraction of the copyright stuff. I frequently don't bother to look at websites that have copyright crap on all the photos much beyond the first couple of photos. That stuff is way too distracting and detracting. It's much more appealing without that and if someone wants the photo, they'll crop it off and use it anyway. Far better to make the file too small for them to do anything with and right click disable your pages for the aggravation value.

A while back a woman ripped off one of my photos and was using it on a website from which she was selling stuff. No e-mail asking for permission, nothing. Kevin who frequents lh.net from Australia recognized my photo on her site and e-mailed me. Yahoo, who was hosting her site took a dim view of her unauthorized use of my image, which of course was/is copyrighted. Long story short, my image was off her site in less than 48 hrs. She, of course, feigned ignorance that the image was copyrighted, never mind that there is a copyright statement on the bottom of every page of my website advising people that none of the images can be used for any purpose without permission.

As for the never ending website, Mike is right. Mine is now coming up on 13 years on line and the end is nowhere in sight :!:
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photography