|

Southbound - One for Boats

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Boats, having spent a lot of years at sea, has no doubt seen many sunsets on the Pacific Ocean that rival and surpass this one, but the solitary freighter, southbound perhaps for the Straits of Magellan off the coast of Chile at about the 45th parallel south, made me think that this was an image that Boats might appreciate. I don't know if you've ever gotten down there Boats or have sailed in the Straits of Magellan or not but this one's for you.

If anyone needs the techno stuff, it was shot at iso 640, 1/200th of a sec at 200 mm, f/2.8.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Great shot Gary.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks, Hersh.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Boy that one set me back, yes Gary. You know how to hirt a guy. Very good sunset mate. I got a few like that I need to dig out. My wife has me doing more and more house work and I'm ready to ship out again just so I can get a breakeeeeee. I,d like to see more like that Gary. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:23 pm

More coming as I get a chance to resize 'em Boats.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:05 pm

Gary, By chance did you get a picture of the (Green Flash) at sunrise past Lat -20. The only other place is the Pacific side at sunset at around -20. Now thats something to see. "Boats"..
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Boats, I was looking at the horizon at sunrise and sunset every chance I got but unfortunately I didn't get to see a green flash. We were well south of -20 the entire trip. I'll keep on looking :!: One of these days, I'll get to see it and maybe photograph it. I did get a nice sun pillar at dawn north of Isla de los Estados before we entered Estrecha de la Maire. I'll have to get that downsized and posted along with some of the dawn shots looking toward Isla de los Estados.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:25 am

Beautiful shot, Gary!!!!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Glad you liked that, Leah.

Boats, here's another one for you, this time at sunrise on the Argentine side of the continent. We were headed south at the time in Estrecho de le Maire, the strait that separates the tip of Tierra del Fuego from Isla de los Estados, when this was shot. The rugged mountain backbone of the island was sticking up above the clouds silhouetted against the rising sun. The wider angle shot was taken within a minute or two of the first one.

Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Photography