|

People don't post photos or comment...

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:16 am

People can agree with me or not... maybe what follows will provoke some discussion :?:

I noticed that Alan posted a comment on this forum about photographs of the lighthouses of St Lucia that are on his website but didn't include any in his post. For quite a while even when people have posted photos on these forums, despite the number of views climbing, only the same couple of people comment. I guess people not posting photos on these forums is the next step in the increasing apathy that seems to have infected this board. Has interest deteriorated to the point that we get newsy posts from Barry and the occasional discussion or argument about where stimulus money goes and not much else :?: Sadly, so it would seem...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:55 pm

40 views of this thread that should be inspiring some spirited discussion and no replies... Hmm, maybe you're onto something there.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Now it's at 74 views and other than your observation, Hersh, still no comment... Would have been nice to have been proven wrong, but I guess I didn't expect to be.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby MontaukPoint » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:19 pm

I agree with this. Now it seems every time I drop in (less and less frequently due to lack of discussion), every thread is a dead end. One or two messages, and that is it. I remember years back, when things were totally different. I wonder when things changed? Perhaps we need more "controversial" threads, such as politics? I am sure that would get people talking! Who would be interested in such a thread? I know I would.

I started the Earth Hour thread in an attempt to get people talking (I took what I thought would be a very unpopular position by saying that I opposed it), but alas, nothing big.

Anyway, as for not posting the photos, since everything on my website is done in flash, and it is very difficult to pull out the direct link to an image (I have to ask my friend who did most of the scripting for me it), it is much easier for me to just post the link. The way I figure it, people are either interested in the topic (and will do something as simple as click on the link to view the information), or they were not very interested in the first place.

While I may sound very dismal, I want to make it clear I greatly appreciate Ross continuing to put his time into this.

Alan
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:31 pm

It might surprise you to know that I do check in every day. I quickly check the headings of the unread posts which these days are nearly all news items from Barry. I don't read most of them as they are usually US related and not of a great deal of interest to me as an outsider. Sometimes he posts an article about an Oz light and then I usually do make a comment.
What I have noticed is the almost complete absence of non US members such as the European people who used to be regular posters. I am not talking about the past few months but the past 18 months or 2 years.
I also run a forum relating to the Lighthouse Weekend and it's very quiet as well. My suspicion is that people have migrated to Facebook and other similar web gimmicks. I know for a fact that a lot of members here are now on Facebook. I joined it out of curiosity and rarely go there but I seem to have accumulated quite a lot of "friends".
I have to compliment Barry for his persistence in digging up the news articles despite the fact that I don't find them of interest to me these days. This site still has a great long list of members of which only a small percentage have ever posted. Makes you wonder why they join.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:17 am

Alan, I appreciate your comments on this. One comment I will make is reference posting images vs posting links. To me, finding a link as the main body of a post here really takes away from the whole community spirit we've tried to foster over the years. I have a website, but I always tried to post my photos here so that people could see them, and comment if they wished, here. A link to my site might be appropriate in some situations, but it seems to sanitize the experience, taking people away from here to someplace else, then they have to come back to make a comment.

This is my big problem with Barry's news posts. I don't even open those threads anymore because I know all that will be there is a link to some outside source with a news story. No comments, no excerpts, no photos (generally speaking; maybe this has changed), just a link. I can go out onto the net myself and find lighthouse news stories with a few clicks. What I want here is actual intelligent and emotional discussion on the topics we care about.

I too miss the spirited, even occasionally offensive (to me) discussions - because at least there was life in them!! I don't mind having my beliefs and positions challenged, because I truly believe in them and have confidence in them! Now any time a thread begins to veer even slightly off topic it gets clipped and restricted back to it's narrow focus. (Remember the stimulus money thread?) How dare we presume to offend anyone or offer our own opinions? That's not how conversations in the real world work. When people converse, they tend to move from one topic to another. So why would I want to come here and engage in a discussion or debate knowing I will probably be scolded for not addressing only the exact point introduced by the original poster? I probably wouldn't. Not anymore anyway. But I'd like to think that someday that might change.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:26 am

I'm not sure why the posting or not of a photo in a thread is a concern. I personally am hesitant to do it (although I have), because A.) You're using another site's bandwidth B.) All photos are copyright protected and this site could be at risk for a DMCA takedown notice, particularly when an AP image is posted. C.) Image posting is flaky in here. D.) The images can't be posted (part of a flash slideshow).

About commenting. I do think there has been an increase in comments posted lately. But it's kind of hard to post comments about links to news or feature stories, unless there's something in the story that just calls for a comment, as an obvious mistake. Most of the news stories I have already seen, as I too subscribe to Google News alerts.

Perhaps those complaining about lack of comments should start some threads. I for one have enjoyed Barry's "holiday lighthouses" posts, even as I get frustrated with Creative Commons (or blog this) Flickr images I post not showing up at times ( 8O ).

So rather than count post views without comments, we all need to participate a bit more. Forums are still a viable part of the so-called "Social Media." But yes, Facebook and Twitter are two of the other biggies. And those with non-profit groups have embraced these additional tools. Check out what Jeremy D'Entremont is doing with both Facebook and Twitter and Flickr for the Friends of Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse.

Adding:
And to Hersh's post above, yes, a post can go off-topic, but I do agree that it should have been moved to its own thread. That's the proper way to do it. And there still is some spirited discussion in here. Check out island's and my gentle digs about license plates. ;)
Quoting Hersh:
This is my big problem with Barry's news posts. I don't even open those threads anymore because I know all that will be there is a link to some outside source with a news story. No comments, no excerpts, no photos (generally speaking; maybe this has changed), just a link. I can go out onto the net myself and find lighthouse news stories with a few clicks. What I want here is actual intelligent and emotional discussion on the topics we care about.

Actually that's one reason I started my site two years ago in the first place. I could find these stories, but there was no place to discuss them, or put them all in one place and state my opinion on it. And I thought others might enjoy it also. I have many views per day, and over 500 subscribers, but not all that many comments, either. People still prefer to comment to me via plain old email. Maybe it's shyness, maybe they think they have nothing to say, but that's the way it is. The sites with thousands of viewers per day, still only get just a small proportion of those motivated enough to comment.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 am

Sue, I understand that posting photos from news stories can be tricky due to linking, copyright issues and all that, but what I miss is people posting their own photos while relating the story of a recent trip or cool lighthouse visit. (I've never known image posting to be flaky as a result of anything here, it's most likely due to problems with the image source host) And if you can't post a photo from the news story you're linking to, how about a short paragraph saying what the story is about so it's not a mystery click?

Perhaps those complaining about lack of comments should start some threads.

Since Gary started this thread and I have been unashamedly voicing my opinions I may assume that this is directed at us in particular so I will address it. Gary and I personally have posted many, many threads (probably well into the hundreds) of our own photos over the years. Gary even went so far as to do detailed photographic instructional posts (the photography 101 series). As for me, I now have a more demanding job and three toddlers around the house that keep me away from the lakes most of the time, so I don't have as many opportunities to make posts. And Gary has been relegated to the barren wilderness of NJ so he doesn't get out as much. (That plus his very advanced age :)>- ) But it's going to take a lot more people getting involved than just us few. And when those people do author quality posts full of photos and commentary, if only one or two comment it doesn't exactly fill one with a desire to repeat the process.

Not so long ago many of us lamented the impending shutdown of this site, and now it has been given a reprieve. Are we going to forget all that and continue in apathy or do something to keep this place going? I personally have no desire to participate in facebook, twitter, et al., this is where I'd like to stay.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:58 am

Hersh wrote:And if you can't post a photo from the news story you're linking to, how about a short paragraph saying what the story is about so it's not a mystery click?

Since I run a website based on news about lighthouses, I would rather not even be posting links to stories I might write about. And I don't want to be seen as spamming this site by posting links to my own commentary on it.
Occasionally I have posted a couple stories, but usually when I don't plan to write about it. Although as a female, I reserve the right to change my mind. :twisted:
Hersh wrote:
Perhaps those complaining about lack of comments should start some threads.

Since Gary started this thread and I have been unashamedly voicing my opinions I may assume that this is directed at us in particular so I will address it. Gary and I personally have posted many, many threads (probably well into the hundreds) of our own photos over the years. Gary even went so far as to do detailed photographic instructional posts (the photography 101 series). As for me, I now have a more demanding job and three toddlers around the house that keep me away from the lakes most of the time, so I don't have as many opportunities to make posts.

Although this original post is under the photography thread, this applies just as much to the rest of this site. Now, you cannot deny people like Carol, David, Terry and even myself to some extent aren't making the effort. We are. I work long hours, but still manage to check in several times a day. Usually the only ones I see on here are Yahoo, Google and MSN bots. So yeah, we're all busy, but if we don't want to see this site die, we need to make an extra effort.
And I certainly know you and Gary have posted much over the years. And I love seeing your work and Gary's. But unless a particular photo moves me in some ways, I don't feel it's necessary to post the "me toos." I may have been wrong, and will certainly post my appreciation for your works in the future. Allowing commenting on your web sites would help, too, you know, for the validation.
And that works both ways. I occasionally will post a link to a story on my site that is not the usual, like the recent one about growing up on a Patos Island in the 1950s. How many views? Only 19. How many commented on that? Only one, epona. Although island did comment on the site. :)
Hersh wrote:And Gary has been relegated to the barren wilderness of NJ so he doesn't get out as much. (That plus his very advanced age :)>- )

Hahahaha. :yay: :yay: Good one! Let's see if that doesn't get some comments. Perhaps rude ones, but...

Hersh wrote:Not so long ago many of us lamented the impending shutdown of this site, and now it has been given a reprieve. Are we going to forget all that and continue in apathy or do something to keep this place going? I personally have no desire to participate in facebook, twitter, et al., this is where I'd like to stay.

Then stay. Participate. Start controversial threads. Argue with us. I may be relatively new to the lighthouse world, as compared to Terry, Ross, Dave, Jeremy and others, but I love to learn. And I am opinionated. Ask Carole. ;)

This site won't die. Please don't write its obituary yet. But you are correct; we all need to jump in and post more often. I'm doing my part, how about you? 8)
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby Ross » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:29 am

I've noted that view counts can be inflated by the robot and web crawling from search engines, but not by too much, 3 or 4 extra.

I've not had much time to do a lot here, but I'm guilty of not posting photos much either, something I will change soon. I'm starting to get back into the way I did lighthousing at the start... went out to lighthouses and took pictures to have fun, and not necessarily worry what book or magazine my photo would end up in.

At the end of this month, or in May, JD (keeper) and I are planning a helicopter trip over Boston Harbor, I'll be sure to post some of those. Also, a trip to Whaleback lighthouse and get some close up and interior shots!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby island » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:41 am

Gary wished to provoke discussion so I will add more provocation.

A couple of years ago this board was loaded with photos, overloaded and Ross had to unload the board for this reason. In the process he dumped some very interesting and irreplaceable spontaneous discussions of lighthouse topics, discussions the like of which could find not where else except here.

What was happening with photos was a member would post a photo of Upside Down Head Light. Then others would post their photos of the same light, more often taken from the same exact location to the extent it was beginning to remind me of Monet's haystacks and sometimes more like Warhol's Campbell Soup cans. From my critical eye most of these photos showed little or no originality in capturing the unique details of the light towers, dwellings and other structures of these light stations. Granted, it is difficult to get a close-up of a lantern at the top of some of the towers but not all. Some people have an eye for details, others do not, and it shows in their photographic creations. Sometimes I wonder if people really see what they are looking at.

Alan did not post photos of St. Lucia but he did post a link to his site. I have visited his site at least twice since and found many creative shots and not just of lighthouses, and some black and white also. No doubt I will visit his site again now that I know what he has displayed.

Sue posted the link to her site for the Dawn Alexander story of living at Patos Island. I responded to Sue on her site but not here because what I posted was somewhat autobiographical and for that reason I did not want to seem to be "blowing my own horn" on this board. After reading the story I visited the Patos website and using Maptech located the island to better understand what that light, the island and that coastal area was like. I intend to send a letter or email to Dawn.

Grover posts many news article. I often go exploring for more information about the article subjects. Sometimes I post what I find. Often I do not. Here again I have learned much from being interested and curious and making an effort to seek more information.

My point is one can just read the articles and go on to other things or you can if you wish go deeper into the subject. And it is obvious the the authors of many of these articles had little or no knowledge of the article subject and made no effort to learn before writing.

In my replies to posts I sometimes post questions. Sometimes just to see if I get a response and other times because I am seeking to lean something. Quite often there is no response to the questions which is what I have come to expect. The same thing with trivia questions that once was popular but no longer.

The response on this board is less that what one might expect from some residents of a nursing home. Note I said some, not all.

I also see the LH net welcoming committee is eight new members behind, four of whom have posted on the forums.

Having just read Sue's second reply on this topic it does appear if you want a clue, see Sue, even if she is migrant to Maine from Michigan. :? Opinionated yes. Both Sue and I have opinions, others have misconceptions. But sometimes she has her misconceptions. 8O Right Sue? :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:18 pm

island wrote:Having just read Sue's second reply on this topic it does appear if you want a clue, see Sue, even if she is migrant to Maine from Michigan. :? Opinionated yes. Both Sue and I have opinions, others have misconceptions. But sometimes she has her misconceptions. 8O Right Sue? :)

Dear Dave,

My husband always tells me he wanted to marry me because I was Miss Right. He now complains he didn't know my first name was "Always." Maybe I could change my name to Conceptions? :P :P

One other thing I do want to mention. By no means was I in any way shape or form implying that Barry shouldn't post news items. Some days, he's the only one that posts anything. What I'd hope is that more people will discuss some of the articles, especially when it's something beyond a puff piece. :)
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:46 pm

You called for controversy, and I answered :lol:

Have a look at the LHD Digest winner thread. I am sure some of the other photo semi-pros / enthusiasts will agree with me, and if not, then bring on the debate!
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Blacktphoto » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:26 am

Here is my guilty confession. With the new forum format I found that I can reap the benefits of reading what's going on on the board without logging in. I have two brief breaks at work and visit the site during both of them nearly every day that I'm in the office. There have been a few threads that I would chime in on but find I would run out of time before I could completely express my thought, so I don't even bother to go back and log in. I have become a passive consumer of Lighthouse info and opinion!
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:11 am

I was away for a couple of days ... I saw this topic arrive yesterday morning while in Buffalo ... I saw the explosion of it when as I returned home last night.

Just my thought ... for the "love of Mike" (I dont know where that expression originated but somehow it fits here ...) post a topic ... With a little history here ... when someone of "advanced age" gets a bug up his craw about LH.net content, he attempts to do something creative about it ... he thought the idea of the "Uncontests" ... he thought the idea of "What lighthouse is this?" Creative and constructive ... not just words, but words usually followed by actions

IMHO, LH.net was just kind of sitting here until Dave came back ... until Sue joined. Their content, their perspectives were fresh and the content of interest. News posts? Never did I think it was my purpose to comment ... only to locate and consolidate ... From this thread, it certainly wasnt in many instances to provoke thought and comment.

Picture posting? Maybe Sue said it best ... and I know Ive posted fewer for many of the reasons Dave mentioned ... they were all so similar to what we've all seen prior ... but then, like the one from Sea Girt which did prompt a response, and like the ones from Charolotte and Sodus Point which did not, I look at the hits and if someone other than myself has looked just once then thats great with me (of course, sometimes just a little ego crops in ... I would have swore the one I posted of one of our more intrepid photgraphers on the rocks at Bass Harbor would have provoked a little more in way of a thread as it was not your postcard shot of that light. It wasnt the first time I thought incorrectly)

Going back on topic, this board, within reason, is anything we want it to be ... embrace it and make it yours (and yours and yours) ... Post a topic ... Its just too easy to echo
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photography