|

People don't post photos or comment...

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby vacastle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:34 am

For some reason I get a lot of feedback, comments, questions from LH.Net members by way of email. They are from long time members who used to post a lot and don't anymore, or newer members who don't know that they are welcome to jump in and get their feet wet. Some are from members who feel shy or "not knowledgable enough" to participate or, in their eyes, "compete".

Sometimes, it's from a member who doesn't understand why something she or he said in a post got "attacked".
Now if we can all be honest with ourselves, we know that people on this forum are sometimes quick to "attack" if they don't agree with a comment, or think the "quality" of a photograph is not up to par with their standards.

Yet, we periodically wonder why we are not getting participation, and maybe haven't heard from certain members in quite awhile.

As to including (our own) photographs in a post, we should try to remember that not everyone has their own web site. Therefore, they must resort to other means to host their photos or rely on someone who does have a site to host the photos. Kinda takes the fun out of returning from a great trip and wanting to share it on LH.Net, don't you think?

Personally, I miss the photo gallery section. There, any member could upload their photos ( giving each photo a URL) and then post their trip story illustrated with photos.

The most frequent complaint I hear is about photo critique (criticism). We have two photo categories. One is for posting photos and inviting critique. The other is for photojournalism, where critique of the technique is not invited. We all tend to confuse those threads.

If we could allow members to participate in the photojournalism section freely, and if we could possibly bring back the photo gallery, we just might see more photos to enjoy.

As to posting news items - In earlier days, several of us took the responsibility of posting news items. Then, Leah was given the responsibility, and so we left it up to her. When Leah could no longer spend the time needed, Barry took it upon himself to make sure the news items got posted. I shudder to think of the hours Barry has spent in this effort, but am thankful to him for doing so.

Island, I am glad to see you back and posting. I've always enjoyed your contributions. You do however, also disapear for great lengths of time. Please stick around this time.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 am

I can remember one time I got attacked from all directions for something I posted back at the time when Peter was with us and the topic was teaching children about lighthouses.

Sometimes I have posted or replied in such a way to try to get a response from someone in particular such as poking fun at the Navy to get Boats to respond or most recently my comments about Rhode Island lighthouses.

No doubt there exist varying degrees of knowledge and experience within the membership of this group and those who visit but do not join. I do hope that people who do not participate gain some knowledge from things that have been and will be posted and that they might be inspired to want to learn more, and maybe to the point to get on here with us if only to ask questions or ask for clarification of something they do not understand. If we can not answer right off we will find the answer soon thereafter.

I am reminded of back when we had some in-depth technical discussion about lamps and lens optics and sound signals. I am sure many people were somewhat lost from reading this stuff but we did encourage people to ask questions to seek to understand what the heck we were talking about, and a few did.

Concerning posting photos, unlike the old board where one needed to post from a website the current configuration of this board permits posting from your pc.

Again, I hope those who do not participate do learn something of value from the postings on this board.

David

I forgot to mention one big challenge here is re-education of the migrants to Maine from places like Michigan, Connecticut or even of all places Virginia. :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:40 am

I forgot to mention one big challenge here is re-education of the migrants to Maine from places like Michigan, Connecticut or even of all places Virginia.

I'm learning, David. I do know that "dinna" is the midday meal and "suppa" is in the evening. I know why tall sticks are planted along walkways and drives in late fall, and that there is probably no better blueberry pie than at Dysart's. I've come to realize that the "R's" that are dropped at the end of a word are often found again in the middle of another word for no rhyme or reason. A really fun thing I've noticed is that the typical Mainer accent sounds much like my Virginia and North Carolina cousins.
Concerning posting photos, unlike the old board where one needed to post from a website the current configuration of this board permits posting from your pc.
How does this work? I think the photo still has to be hosted...somewhere, not just be sitting in the photo gallery on your hard drive. It would be nice though.

Judy
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:27 am

Supp'ah is a meal in the evenin', otherwise known as Supp'ah-time. Dinn'ah is a big meal that one might partake of any hour of the day or night. Thus Dinn'ah can also be at Lunch-time or even Breakfast-time if you wish.

There is a great similarity between the "traditional" Down-east Maine accent to that of an area of coastal Virginia. (I can not remember exactly where.) The origin is Chaucerian English.

The photo entry dialog box is at the bottom of this reply box. Use the Browse button to locate photo in your pc. A file upload box should be displayed and in which you can select your photo file.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:35 am

Funny this conversation came up yesterday in my docent training course yesterday.

Yes, we transplants have a thing or two to learn from the native population.(Wait a moment the true natives died out) What came out was not everyone drops R's. The group I waswith did not think their is such a thing as a typical Maine accent. This was with a group of 6 plus people who can trace their ancestors back a 150 years or more as living in Portland. Something else I already figured out, was that I make generalizations about people. Many times what I assumed is dead wrong or incorrect. Some people in this part of Maine know more about Boston MA that anything north or up the coast in Maine.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:11 am

island wrote:
I forgot to mention one big challenge here is re-education of the migrants to Maine from places like Michigan, Connecticut or even of all places Virginia. :)

You know, the translation of words is one of the biggest challenges for us transplants. Not only "suppah" and dinnah," but things like milkshake. If I order a milkshake anywhere but Maine, I get this nice, thick, concoction of mostly ice cream. Order one here, you get something that's mostly milk and you can't even tell there's ice cream in it. Oh, it's called a frappe here (pronounced frap). Huh?

I'm with my son at the store, he wants to get an ice fishing trap. A trap? What, you lower something under the ice like a lobster trap and wait for fish to swim into it? So he points it out to me. I tell him, "That's a tip-up. Please talk Michigan to your mom."

vacastle wrote:For some reason I get a lot of feedback, comments, questions from LH.Net members by way of email. They are from long time members who used to post a lot and don't anymore, or newer members who don't know that they are welcome to jump in and get their feet wet. Some are from members who feel shy or "not knowledgable enough" to participate or, in their eyes, "compete".

But to further address these non-participation issues, I'm seeing some of that attack right now, as Judy and Dave pointed out. The gentle digs about the lighthouse on the avatar thread under the Rhode Island photo is just that, a little attempt at humor. And some people seem to be taking it seriously. Granted, sometimes it's hard to get if a person is serious, but that's why the smilies are here, to show that it's a joke.

Another example is an attack on my all lighthouse photos tend to look the same statement. Perhaps that is why Judy is getting emails rather than members posting in here. For me, I don't care, I'll answer right back but others may be too intimidated.

Anyway, this thread has certainly brought some people out of the woodwork. :)
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby epona » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:39 pm

Sue, you can make or take gentle or not so gentle digs at me anytime you want. :wink: I realize that most of the people who make (comments are doing in a fun so of way). It certainly would a booring world if everyone acted the same.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:39 pm

You know, the translation of words is one of the biggest challenges for us transplants. Not only "suppah" and dinnah," but things like milkshake.

Thank God I can still get my grits in Maine. Otherwise, I would have had a supply shipped in. There are some things you just can't take away from a Southern girl. I'm probably going to keep my Southern accent too.

David, thanks for pointing out the file loading. I honestly thought all we had was the Img selection at the top. Still would love to see the return of a photo gallery though. There were people who would post their photos in the gallery but not in the forums, possibly intimidated by the "pros". But at least you could go to the gallery and enjoy them.

Judy
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Sue, perhaps the problem is that you're seeing attack where none was intended. You posted a thought, I disagreed with it. I don't see that as an attack, simply a difference of opinion. You spoke your mind, I disagreed, you restated your position in a different way. I don't curse your name or cast aspersions on your whole family tree over it, it's a difference of opinion. If that's all it takes to keep people from posting then perhaps they need to grow up and develop a tougher skin.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:30 pm

From an early post on this discussion-
I too miss the spirited, even occasionally offensive (to me) discussions - because at least there was life in them!! I don't mind having my beliefs and positions challenged, because I truly believe in them and have confidence in them! Now any time a thread begins to veer even slightly off topic it gets clipped and restricted back to it's narrow focus. (Remember the stimulus money thread?) How dare we presume to offend anyone or offer our own opinions? That's not how conversations in the real world work. When people converse, they tend to move from one topic to another. So why would I want to come here and engage in a discussion or debate knowing I will probably be scolded for not addressing only the exact point introduced by the original poster? I probably wouldn't. Not anymore anyway. But I'd like to think that someday that might change.
A rather profound statement in view of where we are now on this thread.

This was posted by a guy who lives in a state that has a problem with telling time, 8O where they have three time zones or is it four? :? Whatever. And this guy has on his website many photos that show exactly what I earlier attempted to describe --that of creativity in the capture of unique details of the subjects. I really like his work.

David
(I tried. I really did but I just could not resist including that time zone comment.)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks David, I appreciate the kind words.

As for my state's time issues, last time I checked there were 17 time zones represented in Indiana, most of them sampled from non-contiguous regions the wold over. But we do cope.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Rob143 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:00 pm

Hersh wrote:As for my state's time issues, last time I checked there were 17 time zones represented in Indiana, most of them sampled from non-contiguous regions the wold over. But we do cope.

I worked in that spot in Indiana. My cell phone kept changing time from one zone to another. I had no idea what time it really was.

Speaking of changing time do y'all still have trouble with that concept? :lol:

I've been guilty of disappearing for months at a time myself when I'm working 7 days a week somewhere and not taking the camera for a drive. I find after every one of those times I come back to find even less people still posting here. I do have to laugh when I hear about attacks from the pros. I know I've been accused of that a time or two and I know I'm no pro. I think we're all adults here. I take no personal offense to any comment that may be offered about my thoughts or photos. I've learned a lot on other forums from critiques offered. Why are those same constructive comments seen differently here?
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Rob143 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:34 am

There is something else I'm missing on this subject. I've read a comment or two inferring if not saying that we'd have a lot more participation if we all just got along and agreed with each other. Human nature, and results here, show otherwise. One of the more contentious threads of a few years ago had the most views and replies of any non-photo thread at that time. We don't have to all hold hands, sing happy songs, and agree on everything to enjoy and participate. It's called being adults.

I would hope that no new member would feel intimidated enough to not post their thoughts. Every one that has come along so far offered something new and I don't see any reason to think the rest won't do the same.

If somebody disagrees with your opinion discuss it like adults and if you have to agree to disagree and move on with life.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby LeadingLight » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Gary, the problem you mention is a general www-forum problem. I moderated the worldlights.com forum for a while. I think it was one of the first forums on the internet and certainly the first lighthouse forum. There the same thing happened as is happening here now. Only a few contributors and a lot of readers. The forum of the World Lighthouse Society that I created again has the same problem. It is often dependant of the drive of one person and when that person becomes less active the forum is slowly fading out. We cannot force people to stay enthusiast. Changes in ones personal life can lead to other priorities. That's what happened to me too. I used to contribute more frequently than I do now. That's also caused because I'm not as close to the news as much as I was when I made Leading Lights Magazine and I did not travel as much as I did before.
I can imagine your frustration, that I felt in a similar way when I moderated forums, but that's the way things go. It's like being board member of an association. You ask all members to participate but it are always just a few who are willing to do the work. I learned from the years I volunteered in associations that you should do the work as long as it gives satisfaction for yourself. Expecting the same level of enthusiasm from others only leads to disappointment for yourself. Sorry, not a very encouraging response.
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:26 pm

My God, I've provoked a spirited discussion :!: This is a refreshing change from the very high frequency of "dead end" threads for want of something better to call them that have filled this board of late.

As for advanced age Freighterboy... yeah, right, whatever. I do have to agree with you though Mike on where I've been "relegated to" as you put it. Barry, feel free to vehemently disagree with me on what I'm about to say, but IMO NJ isn't the Garden State it's proclaimed to be on the license plates. NJ isn't somewhere that I would willingly choose to live and I've lived in a lot of different parts of the country. For those who love the place and can't imagine living anywhere else, you're certainly welcome to your opinion... I just don't happen to share it. And lest I be accused of attacking Barry or anyone else who loves NJ, that isn't the case. I just don't share their fondness for NJ. That doesn't make me right or them wrong. It JUST means that we have a difference in opinion. If someone wants to e-mail Judy because they're aghast about what I've just said, be my guest.

As for the thread on the LH Digest photo contest... well, I'm sure I'll get accused of being nasty, mean-spirited, or something equally unflattering for what I'm about to say, but that's OK. LHDigest's choice of winning photos and what they've chosen to use on the cover of LH Digest has STUNK in many instances. There, I guess that WAS an attack so anyone so inclined, feel free to e-mail Judy. I haven't submitted photos to the LHDigest photo contest in a number of years. I don't care to to facilitate the growth of Tim Harrison's lighthouse stock photo library and I strongly disagree with his position that LHDigest owns the rights and is free to use images submitted to their photo contest in any way that he/they want, which in the case of one of mine a few years ago was without photo credit or attribution. I also don't care for some of the diatribes that he has voiced in the pages of LHDigest so I don't subscribe any more either. Maybe that makes me a lighthouse heretic. If so, that's fine too. Maybe what I've just had to say will even provoke more spirited conversation. Who knows? That might prove interesting. Since I first posted this thread I must admit that it has been interesting to sit back for a bit and watch it go...

In the for whatever it's worth department, I don't read Barry's news posts either.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

PreviousNext

Return to Lighthouse Photography