|

People don't post photos or comment...

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Hersh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:10 pm

Frans, you're exactly right about getting people to to contribute. I too have faced that frustration in several positions I've occupied in the 'real world' and you're right in that there's no way to force someone else to be excited by work if they don't want to be. A dedicated few will always do most of the heavy lifting in any organization.

And Gary, a silver head is a sign of wisdom and to be respected. Most of the time anyway. 8O
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:23 pm

I'll take that as a compliment, Mike...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:51 pm

Gary, where are your roots? I believe you mentioned living in NC at one time ... I know for sure that Texas and Michigan are places you've lived .... I know you travelled both far and wide ... but where are your roots? Born and raised here ... for the most part schooled here ... summers by the beach ... nor'easters and an occaisonal hurricane ... lighthouses that rival any state's ... and as I was raised here so I raised, with a wife who's far too good for me, my two sons ... My roots are here and with that credence I can say unquivocably, that New Jersey is a spectacular place to call home ... and wherever your roots might be I would expect you to be just as passionate about them ...

Regarding this thread? It seems my prior post got buried so I'll say this again ... Mike, create a post ... cause a stir ... rattle a cage ... be provacative ... just dont be an echo ... be a force as is the man with the gray hair (and while I have more than my share of those colored follicles, the many of you Ive met here can question the claim that wisdom and hair color have some relevant bond).

Regarding the news posts? As Mike is fond of saying "we are all adults here" ... One can choose to open them, one can choose not to ... What I do know is that anything that is lighthouse relevant is posted here for those who care to view it ... contrary to what was said, while we all CAN locate articles with a few clicks, FEW do ... I choose to keep our passion current. I dont do it anywhere near as well as Sue does but I am a slave to habit and this is where I choose to hang.

About the LHD photo contest ... for those who remember, last year came and went with not a single comment about it ... how proud I was of us for not repeating any of the annual protestations about what it is or isnt ... what it means or doesnt mean ... what the ultimate purpose is or isnt ... what we feel or dont feel about Mr Harrison ... yes, I knew what I was getting into when I posted that article ... Strange ... many of those who claim not to read the news posts must have received that news ... and posted their replies ... telepathically.

Lastly, about posting photos ... I need to agree with Mike here. While this might be just the memory of an old man, I think most any picture thread posted has generally been received positively. Me, I stopped posting many of the pictures I took because they started to fall into the abyss Rob was describing, that of commonality ... I know me myself, I anxiously wait for the next time Seasentinel (Michelle) or Gangreen or Blacktphoto (John) post their work .... I loved the perspectives Shirin brought to her work here ... Cota (Beth) had a wonderful eye, as does Beachbum (Stephen) Jeremy can post a mean snapshot and we all know how specatular Ross can be. Al's pictures were really good but he's been a stranger. Yeah, Gary also! Mike, too! I learn so much from viewing. Responses to my work? Who doesnt like some feedback ... but should people choose not to reply, thats fine ... I look at the hits and know it is being viewed.

That's about all I got for a Saturday night.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:34 pm

More wisdom from another guy with silver hair, Barry, and I mean that as a compliment.

To answer your question, Barry, for whatever it's worth, I grew up in a small town about 15 miles east of Pittsburgh but don't feel all that passionate about the town where I grew up or about Pennsylvania in general. New Jersey... well, I happen to live here at the moment and I'm happy for those who love the state and feel passionate about it. I just don't happen to be one of those people. Maybe I've moved too many times or traveled too far or wide to really have roots any more, who knows. I think the frequent flier milage total is somewhere north of 2 million over the years... NC, KY, and the UK are also on the list, Barry, along with the other states that you mentioned. I would, however, argue with you Barry about NJ's lighthouses vs. those of other places I've been and photographed. Where will I end up next? I'm not certain but I do know I'll be going back down to South America at some point... there's a lot more in Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego that I want to see and photograph.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby LeadingLight » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:25 pm

Errr, don't want to spoil this discussion or create a new one, but can we make a statement here that the wisdom of lost hair can be put on the same level as the wisdom of silver hair :roll: :wink:
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:26 am

LeadingLight wrote:Errr, don't want to spoil this discussion or create a new one, but can we make a statement here that the wisdom of lost hair can be put on the same level as the wisdom of silver hair :roll: :wink:

.......and also the wisdom of having all his hair of which very little is grey and is also the senior member of this forum. :roll:
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:35 pm

Wisdom takes many forms, Frans... If you're a fan of Star Wars, it was a little green guy with funny ears by the name of Yoda.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:33 pm

I can say from experience that baldness doesn't necessarily bring wisdom. Frans, you might have knowledge and discernment in abundance, but it's probably not from baldness. Mine has brought me only cranial sunburns and tired old jokes. :oops:

Barry, as to your suggestion that I post threads, I believe my 3,901 posts to date (11.77% of posts on this board, 7th highest poster here) qualify me as somewhat more than an idle observer. And that number isn't inflated by hundreds of fluff posts to the welcome forums either. I have posted threads on trips I have taken, geekphotorants, equipment questions, just about anything you can think of down to pictures of my kids. I'd like to think that in the course of those posts I've been able to rise up from the shadows and express a thought that was my own once in a while. In fact, I happen to take pride in the fact that I don't mind voicing my opinions even when I know they'll be unpopular. And *gasp* even opinions that aren't shared by Gary!!!

As for your LHD post, it was slightly less than telepathy. I saw a thread, the title of which actually gave an indication of it's content, and I knew that it was a topic I had an interest in, so I clicked on it to see what won this year. I guess if your only point in posting it was to bait some of us into replying, congratulations. You win!

cause a stir ... rattle a cage ... be provacative
Sorry, if I do that someone might get sand up their shorts and send an e-mail to Judy. :-$
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Keving wrote:
-also the senior member of this forum. :roll:
And just who might this most senile member be? (excuse me, what was I thinking, I meant senior member.)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby vacastle » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 pm

If someone wants to e-mail Judy because they're aghast about what I've just said, be my guest.

There, I guess that WAS an attack so anyone so inclined, feel free to e-mail Judy.

Quote:
Sorry, if I do that someone might get sand up their shorts and send an e-mail to Judy.

Did I miss any? :lol: I said I received emails. I certainly didn't invite them. #-o

Funny thing though, some of it came from people who have posted in this thread. Sadly, some came from really good folks with great talent that have disapeared from this board, and it's our loss.

This discussion comes up again and again of why people don't post photos, and don't comment, or don't post at all, and it always produces a spirited discussion. You'll see it pop up on any group. And in any group, it's always only a few out of all members participating at any given time.

I really think the main reason that members stop posting, and several of you have already said this, is that things change in people's lives. Priorities change.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:29 am

How cool! Ive been assigned an ulterior motive!

Seriously, above all else, Mike, I hope Easter was wonderful for you and your family ... while the message to many is perhaps the most powerful in history, it is also a great day for children ... I hope chocolate and jelly beans and Peeps and colored eggs rained down all over you and yours. To see the children on Easter morning as they discovered the Easter Bunny's hidden eggs are warm memories I carry over twenty years later ...

Now ... I sure know I was impressed with the number 3901 ... and non-fluffable, too! I always have trouble with computer stuff but I was trying to see the last time you were poster #1 on a thread ... and I apologize if it is more recent than my talent and memory allow me to locate. Mike, you are vital to the success of this board because of your unselfishness and your talent AND the fact you graciously allowed us to share in the second greatest event in your life ... Rather then rue the wrong you see here, take some steps to, in your view, help correct it ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Rob143 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Hersh wrote:

Sorry, if I do that someone might get sand up their shorts and send an e-mail to Judy. :-$

If I recall correctly one of the most viewed/ replied to non-photo threads on this forum included cage rattling and provocation according to some. It also included people with those shorts you speak of in a proverbial twist and supposed e-mails to Judy. I for one tend to speak my mind and have always been of the belief that brutal honesty is no less true just because it doesn't sell very well in a society of people scared of their own shadow. It's either people scared of their own shadow, or those who must get their own way at all times, who seem to get so easily offended by the truth. If I've stepped on a toe or two might I suggest they wear steel toed shoes in the future?
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:31 pm

I was trying to see the last time you were poster #1 on a thread

In the lighthouse photography thread it was November 3rd. About 5 months ago by my watch. I'm sad to say I haven't been out but 2 or 3 times since then, so I don't really have much to post. And I don't post just to see my own words in type, so I've been pretty silent. And I will remain so until I have something valuable to add to the forum.

Now do me a favor Barry, don't give me a big pile of smarmy, sarcastic condescension sandwiched in between compliments. Just say what you have to say and skip the niceties. As I have said, I have a thick skin and I can take a shot with the best of them, just have the stones to come out and boldly speak your mind.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Actually, Barry, all that crap Mike is spewing is the fluff he doesn't post on here... He needs to get rid of it somehow. Actually, if the truth be known, the reason he doesn't get out much with his cameras is that he's afraid to sunburn the dome... =)) Hows that for tired ol' jokes, Mike?
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Actually, if the truth be known, the reason he doesn't get out much with his cameras is that he's afraid to sunburn the dome...

That's completely untrue. I have many, many hats. [-X
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

PreviousNext

Return to Lighthouse Photography