|

LHD Winner

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Grover1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:30 am

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Rob143 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:52 pm

LHD is consistent.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Sad, isn't it Rob...
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Rob143 wrote:LHD is consistent.

????

Explain to me? Please? In the interest of learning?
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby MontaukPoint » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:41 pm

I don't mean any offense to the photographer, but that is a terrible (borderline horrendous) photo. I have seen better taken with my Blackberry 2.1 MP camera! Sorry if I offend any; but the colors look dull and gray, it looks underexposed, there appears to be a flare in the top center, and even the composition is not that good.

Due to this, I have lost a lot of respect for LHD and their contest. And in case anyone is wondering, no, I did not enter this year.

Alan
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks. I thought the angle (and the angles themselves) was interesting, leading the eye upwards. I did think it looked a little washed out, but then I don't feel the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse is the loveliest light around anyway. But it's the home light of the ALF prez, so maybe that helped it win?

As island said in the other thread about posting photos, all lighthouse photos tend to look identical, taken from the same angle, and so on. So maybe that's why this one stood out to the judge(s)? Anymore, unless there is something different about the background, with maybe a ship or an unusual sunset, or the one that Boats took that looked like a Christmas card, all lighthouse photos tend to be the same.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby island » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:29 pm

The flare at the top of the R Bkwtr photo appears to be the afternoon sun reflected from the lantern glass. The angle is interesting but I think the light was wrong at the time.

The 2nd place wintertime of Pemaquid published in the LD is a very early morning photo, just before sunrise. It is so dark one can not determine if was winter, summer or in between.
Last edited by island on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby MontaukPoint » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:34 pm

What do the other photos look like? I don't receive my LH Digest until about a week after you folks in the US do.

Alan
-----
Lighthousing.net Administrator

Lighthouse Photography and More:
http://www.alanbotphotography.com
MontaukPoint
LH.net Administrator

Postby Hersh » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:59 am

all lighthouse photos tend to look identical, taken from the same angle, and so on.

Painting with a pretty broad brush there, aren't you? I think the word 'all' is your error. But if you really feel that way, then maybe you should try seeking out photographers that try to take more unique photos as a matter of regular practice. There are some out there if you look for them. You might even find a few here.

The LHD contest is most certainly not one of those places though. I stopped entering years ago after watching them reward the most pitiful photos you can imagine. Some of their winners have been quality photos, including a few from people who post here, but way too much crap for me to want to waste my time any longer.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:57 am

Hersh--- The quote should include the words "photos of the same lighthouse" which is the point I was attempting to make in my post on the other topic.

Alan ---Concerning the quality of work in the LD contest photos I will leave that to others and to you when you see the current LD issue. I will add this however. The Montuck 2nd place view of any category is off center by a "mile". The Port Washington Old Lighthouse, 3rd place winter is a crappy appearing photo, not because of the photographer but the view of the lighthouse. The west side in sharp contrast with the yellow brick wall has a black (or dark brown) gutter and downspouts that appear to merge with a dark colored looped rope or chain fence below.The rear addition to the original dwelling is white on the top half and pale yellow brick below that matches the yellow brick main dwelling. It looks as though someone had drawn dark lines on the photo with a felt marker. The same and similar views are on this site.
http://www.portlightstation.org/
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:55 am

Moving the subject a bit - Many times at Art Shows and in some art galleries at least in Southern Maine. You see the same or very similar paintings or drawings of a lighthouse. Portland Head is a case in point. Once in Red Moon you might see something a little bit different.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:24 am

Hersh wrote:
all lighthouse photos tend to look identical, taken from the same angle, and so on.

Painting with a pretty broad brush there, aren't you? I think the word 'all' is your error. But if you really feel that way, then maybe you should try seeking out photographers that try to take more unique photos as a matter of regular practice. There are some out there if you look for them. You might even find a few here.

Hersh, the word to notice in my quote is tend, so please don't take that wrong.

In most cases, if you take one lighthouse, and have 500 people photograph it, the angle will be the same, the photos will look virtually identical.

I am not talking about you pros, who almost always have a unique perspective (and WAY better cameras 8) ).

Now, the third place winner in the offshore lighthouses, it's a nice photo of Toledo Harbor, but I can go to Flickr and see dozens of almost the exact same picture, even down to the reflection.

So that's why I asked, as someone who is trying to learn. I will never be like any of the pros in here, but anything I can find out on why you and others think something is a good photo or not, can do nothing but help me in the long run.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby epona » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Sue, I am going agree with what you just posted. I do not post my work here for several reasons. I do not show my photos to many people. I am still working at or on being a better and different type of photographer than most.

Several weeks ago a bought a print of a shell from a local lady. She does her from her heart with love. Photography is a passion of hers. The print just blew me away. I had triple WOW looking at it. In the next few months I am going buy more of her prints.

Even at the local art shows most of the photos are SOS. Buyers notice this!

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:15 pm

epona wrote:Sue, I am going agree with what you just posted. I do not post my work here for several reasons. I do not show my photos to many people. I am still working at or on being a better and different type of photographer than most.

Several weeks ago a bought a print of a shell from a local lady. She does her from her heart with love. Photography is a passion of hers. The print just blew me away. I had triple WOW looking at it. In the next few months I am going buy more of her prints.

Even at the local art shows most of the photos are SOS. Buyers notice this!

Carole

And same with me. I do post my stuff on Flickr, though, as there is less criticism there and even some compliments. You might want to consider that, Carole. :)

And I release under Creative Commons, so anyone choosing to use them may do so without asking permission, as long as credit is given to me. I was some pleased when I discovered two of my photos used on Russ Rowlett's site. 8)

And while I'm thinking of it, Flickr is offering free pro accounts to any qualifying non-profit, so if anyone associated with a lighthouse group wants a pro Flickr account, here's the linky-loo.

MontaukPoint wrote:What do the other photos look like? I don't receive my LH Digest until about a week after you folks in the US do.

I was going to post this one last night, but the link was down so didn't. This is the third place winner of the Offshore Lights:
http://photosbymonnie.zenfolio.com/p286 ... #h19e44aa0

This is the second place winner of lighthouse in wintertime
http://lighthousepictures.shutterfly.com/187
Last edited by LighthouseNews on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby island » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:07 pm

That Toledo Harbor photo looks much better on the link you posted than in the pages of my copy of LD. It is crisp, clear and sharp and the color balance and shade balance looks really great to me. I could not determine the image properties but it is definitely not a low kb jpg that would diminish the photo quality as viewed on a pc monitor.

Unless it is a super expensive speciality print job such as for a "coffee table" book for example the printed reproduction of photos will not look as good as the source photos. And further, with a magazine the quality diminishes from the start to finish of the run. The first of a run is the office copy and is the best quality work. From then on it is production with diminished quality to meet a time schedule. So it is a bit ify attempting to judge photo quality from a printed magazine as compared to viewing the actual photos. Doing this is really judging the print quality of the printed product as impacted by ink, paper and press variables at the point in time in a press run when this image came off the press.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Next

Return to Lighthouse Photography