|

Newport Harbor Lighthouse, Rhode Island

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Ross » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:37 am

Not a great photo, but we got a chance to climb Newport Harbor lighthouse on Goat Island in November 08.

Here's another from earlier in the day, it was very cold and windy. This is a two-image stitch.

That was the last lighthouse trip I've taken, the winter is usually difficult for me to get out enough. I've got a ton of trips planned for this year, and also a driving jaunt out to Montana with a stop at Badlands, SD and Mt. Rushmore!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby epona » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:46 am

Ross, Come on now I have seen Goat Island Lighthouse a good number of times up close. You managed to get to the heart of this lighthouse with this picture.

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Oh no! 8O Not another one of those crappy Rhody excuses for lighthouses like that on the avatar above. :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:13 pm

island wrote:Oh no! 8O Not another one of those crappy Rhody excuses for lighthouses like that on the avatar above. :)

Gaak! I never even noticed that. 8O Someone living in Maine not displaying a Maine lighthouse??

At least I, as a transplant to Maine, have the courtesy to show off a Maine lighthouse. :P

P.S.
Rhode Island is big enough to have more than one lighthouse? Wait...they have around 20 or so! Wow. :mrgreen:

P.P.S.
And Ross, I think the photos look great. One of these days I'll figure out auto stitch.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby island » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:39 pm

How about the guy who started this thread? Living in NH and with a Mass lighthouse. 8O But then there aren't many NH choices. A tin can at the fort and a stone pile day marker with a light on top in the harbor. :) :) :)
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby epona » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:26 am

Not to get to a cat or dog fight. Each person may hold a view point, it does mean we all have to agree. After all some people are purrfect. To set the record straight I have never lived in RI. Just because a person resides in one place does not mean they cannot love another place.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:52 am

I haven't been in NH THAT long ;)

It would be really obvious to put Portsmouth on there... I had that for a while, but I lived in Mass then
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby wheland » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:00 am

island wrote:How about the guy who started this thread? Living in NH and with a Mass lighthouse. 8O But then there aren't many NH choices. A tin can at the fort and a stone pile day marker with a light on top in the harbor. :) :) :)

I wouldn't take any of this about which LH is shown too seriously.

I'd venture to say it's all meant in good fun by all.

I do have a nice NJ Lighthouse for my photo, though (Sandy hook- the oldest continuously operating lighthouse in the United States). I probably should update it, though.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby vacastle » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:07 am

Hey, I transplanted to Maine and am displaying a Maine light. Actually broke away from my beloved Bodie Island!

Ross, I like both, verrrry much! You are an artist with lighting. They're both the type of photograph that make you want to look and look.

Judy
New England Lighthouse Lovers
http://www.nell.cc/index.htm
vacastle
Lighthouse Master

Postby island » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:20 am

NJ has lighthouses? :)

Maine has lighthouses. From the more recent issues of LD for the last year or so there is Little River and some others of less significance.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:30 am

island wrote:NJ has lighthouses? :)

Maine has lighthouses. From the more recent issues of LD for the last year or so there is Little River and some others of less significance.

Yes NJ has Lighthouses- 23 of them at least. I know this number pales in comparison to the number of Lighthouses in ME. :D

We also are home to the original , oldest and BEST Lighthouse Challenge (IMHO of course on the last part) - the 10th Annual one happens this October.

I've actually made it to more - in numbers- Maine Lighthouses than NJ Lighthouses- although percentage wise NJ is far ahead on my personally visited list.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:41 pm

As far as numbers of lighthouses, Maine, in turn, pales relative to Michigan where I called home for 10 years with 120 of 'em...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby wheland » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:03 pm

Gary Martin wrote:As far as numbers of lighthouses, Maine, in turn, pales relative to Michigan where I called home for 10 years with 120 of 'em...

Gary,

Your comment reminds me of one of my two favorite lighthouse trivia questions to ask the average person-

1. What's the tallest lighthouse in NY Harbor? Statue Of Liberty which only about 4 out of 10 people guess and usually not on the first try.

2. which state has the most lighthouses ? Michigan. This one is actually tougher than the other one without clues like "think of lakes".

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby ericlighthouse » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:46 am

Some of our states have quality not quanity (ha-ha). :mrgreen:
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Photography