|

Ben Podolak ... Contest Winner

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Grover1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:54 pm

No, not that contest ... from a great named newspaper, The Baraboo News Republic

http://www.wiscnews.com/bnr/news/448775

(Photo/Ben Podolak)

(Here's a few pages of his work ... http://benpodolak.com/gallery/main.php )
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Grover1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:12 pm

... and not for nothing, here's the Grand Prize Winner ...

“A stormy night at the North Pier in Canal Park, Duluth”
Robert Welton • Duluth, Minnesota

Judges' Comments:

Sometimes great photography is being in the right place at the right time, but serendipity alone will not capture what those “rights” offer. It takes a good photographer to be able to translate a spectacular moment into an image. Such is the “Stormy Night” photo, which combines a well-thought-out composition converging piers, lighthouse and walkway lights with a layer of water and a stunning reflection.

It’s obvious that the photographer has an artistic eye and was paying careful attention to everything that was going on in the frame (reflection, people in foreground), making this photo a unique, well-balanced composition.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Blacktphoto » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:04 am

Thanks Barry. There is life in other venues!

The Duluth image is the cat's pajamas. What a great capture! And the judge's statement elegantly puts into words why the image is a standout.

Thanks for this post.
- John
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby wheland » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:29 am

Grover1 wrote:... and not for nothing, here's the Grand Prize Winner ...

“A stormy night at the North Pier in Canal Park, Duluth”
Robert Welton • Duluth, Minnesota

Judges' Comments:

Sometimes great photography is being in the right place at the right time, but serendipity alone will not capture what those “rights” offer. It takes a good photographer to be able to translate a spectacular moment into an image. Such is the “Stormy Night” photo, which combines a well-thought-out composition converging piers, lighthouse and walkway lights with a layer of water and a stunning reflection.

It’s obvious that the photographer has an artistic eye and was paying careful attention to everything that was going on in the frame (reflection, people in foreground), making this photo a unique, well-balanced composition.

Here's a small bit of heresy- possibly.

I'd love the look of this photo even if it didn't have a lighthouse in it.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby TWolfe » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:03 pm

I haven't logged in for a long time... I got a new computer a year ago and couldn't remember my username. :oops: After several attempts today, I got in! Just browsing some posts and came across this one. I met Ben at Split Rock on November 11, 2008 when we both got up early for a sunrise shoot. It was extremely cold that morning... I'm sure he was at Split Rock for the annual lighting this year. I slept in on the 11th this year and missed a beautiful sunrise. Maybe next year.

Tammy
TWolfe
Keeper

Postby rwelton » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:14 pm

Hi. I came across this post of my photo. I took this photo 2 summers ago at the lighthouse in Duluth MN. I had a photo in mind of trying to capture the clouds after a rain storm. I wanted to get the reflections off of the cement walk way out to the pier. I was out in the rain for at least 5 hours that day, waiting for a break in the clouds for just a minute. It finally happened and I ran out to the pier and got my shot. Here is a link to an old web site to get this shot. The photo is at my web site at pbase http://www.pbase.com/rwelton/image/108601038 . Thanks for the kind comments, Bob Welton
rwelton
Visitor

Postby Grover » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 am

Bob ...

So many times I've asked photographers Ive met if they "saw"
the final result "before" they shot it ... I love the proud recollection
of "I ran out on the pier and got my shot"

Thanks for sharing ... Barry
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Lighthouse Photography