|

Two Views

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Grover1 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Just messing around a little tonight

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Blacktphoto » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:41 am

Barry, Marblehead (MA) or Sanibel Island? Or did I completely miss the mark?
Blacktphoto
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:05 am

Nope, right on the mark ... thanks for asking ... Marblehead it is.

Florida lights are on the "to do" list ... and I would bet, when confronted with the "spider towers," we've all stood underneath and shot skyward ... I missed dead center symmetry by just a hair in that first one ... for sure a reason to go back to a beautiful setting ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Rob143 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:40 am

My first thought, upon seeing number 1, was Sanibel Island as well. I knew I was wrong when I saw number 2. You made me look this one up even after you said Marblehead. This isn't what I think of when I hear Marblehead. I was never a real skeletal tower fan until Hillsboro Inlet a few years ago.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Weasel58 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:35 am

Sanibel light is the oldest of this class of tower. It was built in 1884 and is different at the base then most of these pile towers. Here is a photo of Sanibel. Notice that the central column of the tower doesn't continue all the way to the ground. This is seen on Sanibel, Cape San Blas, South Fox Island, and Bellevue Rear Range. Chandeleur Island LA also had this feature. Lighthouse directory has a list of the onshore Skelatal towers and the classes they fit into. http://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/lighthouse/ ... etals.html Unfortunately some of the links don't work any longer.

By weasel58
Eric Sharp
Weasel58
Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography