|

Concord Point

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Rob143 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:28 pm

I took the new camera for a drive down to Havre de Grace for the weekend. I might have liked a better day but this is what it gave me.

Both shot with 400 5.6 and 1.4 TC on Canon 1D MkIIn.

First at 20:00 - ISO 160 1/100 at f8
Second at 20:54 - ISO 250 1.3sec at f8

Rob143
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:55 am

Rob ... thanks for sharing ... nice to wake up to these on a Sunday morning

Trying to imagine the spot you shot from ... Ive not been there but with 400, a 1.4 TC, and F8 Im guessing you were "in the neighborhood" but not "on the block" ... with the distance, with the fading daylight, and with the lack of a dazzling sunset (it would be setting to the right?) I think you captured quite a lot here.

Ive always been a sucker for the unfurled sail passing a lighthouse ... I also like the artificial eeriness of the spotlights against the tower in shot number two ... Being a small lighthouse to begin with, and being the sole subject, Im thinking it may have gotten a little lost (my eyes were looking for more lighthouse, less water) in the second shot ...

Curious question ... was the first shot hand-held?

This might have been the first "small" light I ever saw, back in the mid-1970's, learning of it from the "Welcome to Havre de Grace" billboard seen on southbound I-95 and tracking it down two days later on the return trip north ... In my ignorance, and while in my first lighthouse phase, I didn't believe it to be a "real" light until I got home, found the de Gast book in the Asbury Park (NJ) Public Library, and learned of the Donahoo legacy (I would make it to sister lights Piney Point and Turkey Point during my phase two)

Rob, thanks again for the post ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Rob143 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:31 am

Barry,

These were shot from the Perry Point VA across the river. Nothing from that side was hand held. Looking at a google satellite image I'm going to call this 1.4 miles across the water. Late June is never the best time to try that but it's when I got this body and took it for a drive. It is always a good excuse to go back and reshoot too. I shot everything from the Havre de Grace side hand held but those are mostly the same shots everybody else takes. I decided to pull up the different view first and look them over last night. I'll have to see what I got over there and post them soon.
Rob143
Head Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography