|

International Lighthouse Day

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Lighthouselin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 am

International Lighthouse Day 2007

Lighthouselin manning the ALK stand at Souter Lighthouse North East Coast Tyneside UK. I was lucky enough to be inside, it was a dreadful day weatherwise but I did get a few new members. I was inside the 'engine room' where all the equipment is installed for the fog horn and the electricity to power the light.

Souter Lighthouse. I took this shot a few weeks before ILD.
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:53 am

Lin ... Nice shots ... thanks for posting them ... there are many gray days along the New Jersey coast as well

How many members do you have in the ALK?
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Lighthouselin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:00 am

I can't tell you how many members all I can say is I am number 430 and have been a member for about 10years.

Alk produce a quarterly magazine 'The Lamp'. The website is http://www.alk.org.uk The magazine has some brilliant articles and photographs.

The WLS is fairly new and is always looking for new members. The Journal is published on the web site and can be printed off.

Both magazines are always on the look out for articles from members. I have managed to write an article for each of them but should really be doing more. :(
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby LeadingLight » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:15 pm

The WLS website is at http://www.worldlighthouses.org. Membership is free but you pay an entrance fee. Don't know how much but it will be about $30. Their newsletter is very good, as is the ALK magazine Lamp.
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Lighthouselin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:41 pm

Thank you for posting the WLS website address LeadingLight. I paid £20 and then they decided there would be no further charges for the newsletter or membership, just the one off payment as you said.
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby Kevin vk2ce » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Lin,

Nice pics. I'm also a member of WLS as well as being heavily involved with the ham radio event the International Lighthouse/Lightship Weekend since 1999 which is held on the 3rd full weekend in August each year. About 5 years ago the ALK decided that our wekend would be a good opportunity to hole International Lighthouse Day on the Sunday of our event and Joy Adcock has been doing a web page each year listing participating lighthouses. Participation in both activities is growing each year.

I update the ILLW list of entrants daily and this morning we reached 282. Last year we had over 400 in the event and quite a lot of ALK lights open to the public. All the info about the ILLW is on my web site at http://illw.net

Lighthousing net has a presence on the ILLW web pages as our logo features Bodie Lighthouse taken by our own Gary Martin who kindly allowed me to make a logo out of it. It is now a registered trade mark as someone else tried to steal it 3 years ago.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. I hope you enjoyed Oz while you were here.
Kevin vk2ce
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Lighthouselin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:49 am

Hi Kevin. I lived in Australia for well over 20 years and have an Aussie passport. That is just a by the way point. :D

I was happy to take part in the ILLW and be involved as a represntative of the ALK at Souter Lighthouse. It is cared for by the National Trust. It was the first electric lighthouse. I am sure you all know this anyway. :) It is shame that the light no longer sends out a warning but I guess the automatic radio beacon still gives Souter life.

Thanks for posting the link to your site.

This year I will be away on holiday over the ILLW. I am quite upset about that as I had hoped to join in again. In 2007 the weather was bad and the guys on the radio link up at Souter had decided to give up contacting Hurst Castle as the noise from the flapping of the tent at Souter made hearing impossible.

A not very good picture of the guys on the radios at Souter.
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography