|

Not a lighthouse photo

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby LeadingLight » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:39 pm

It started a kind of accidentally but once, I don't know when it was, I started to collect photos with a lighthouse on it, but where that lighthouse was not the main subject. A few weeks ago I made a group on Flickr where I invite people to post these kind of photos. In a short time more than 200 photos were posted there. Some of them with the lighthouse clearly visible, some with only a detail, or a very unsharp shade of what has to be a lighthouse. The group is called "Not a lighthouse photo" and the url is http://www.flickr.com/groups/1074073@N25/. For those who like it it is starting to be a funny collection of photos.

One of my favorites:
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
51 34 06.7 N - 006 01 57.8 E
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Hersh » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:06 pm

Great idea Frans, I will have to take the time to check it out.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Grover1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:45 am

Frans ... just started looking ... some interesting perspectives represented here ... thanks for the site
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby LighthouseNews » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:46 am

What a neat concept. I'm going through some of mine to see if I have any that would fit. Probably not, but I'll work on getting some to join the group.

Thanks Frans. Some of those photos are just great.
LighthouseNews
Head Keeper

Postby LeadingLight » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:10 am

You have the same problem as I do, Sue. We make lighthouse photos, not not-a-lighthouse-photos. :|
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Grover1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:14 am

So I ask ... does this photo define the topic or blur it ... For sure the lighthouse isnt the focal point, the photgropher is ... but he IS taking a picture of the lighthouse ...

Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby kickstand » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:43 pm

I have a bunch of self-portraits taken at lighthouse scenes. Kind of a documentation that I was there.

But in no way would I consider the lighthouse to be of "secondary importance". The lighthouse is the reason I was there!
kickstand
Visitor

Postby LeadingLight » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Well, I have not made an exact definition. It's not that serious, so I leave it up to the imagination of who is posting. Personally I would not post Grovers photo as the lighthouse is present to obvious. Some of Kickstands photos fit in very well. I never made any lighthouse photo without the plan to shoot that photo, but nevertheless some photos look like the light is there accidentally.

Like this guy, that some of you may know

Or these singers at the opening of a restored lighthouse

So it's the image that counts, not the story behind it #-o
Leading Light
Frans la Poutré
The Netherlands
LeadingLight
Head Keeper

Postby Lighthouselin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:40 am

Kickstand, what an amazing collection of lighthouse pictures. I loved looking through them all.

Leadinglight, the reflection in the glasses is fantastic. A real winner in my view.

I just have to buy a new scanner as most of my 'nearly a lighthouse' shots were taken before I bought a digital camera.
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:14 am

Lin, don't know how it is in the UK, But I transfer all my negatives from film over to disc...Sharper than a scanned photo....
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby kickstand » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:09 pm

@Lighthouselin: thanks for your kind words.

Instead of buying a scanner and spending all that time scanning your photos, perhaps you'd rather send them out. There are several affordable alternatives:

http://www.digmypics.com/

http://www.scancafe.com/pro.php

Whether it's worth it to you depends a lot on how much time you have, and how much you can stand sitting at your computer waiting for the scanner to operate.
kickstand
Visitor

Postby Lighthouselin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:23 am

Thank you for the links to those sites that can put my pictures on to disc. There are not so many and I would rather not send them overseas. However the scancafe may be able to help.

I am ashamed to say that I have no idea where the negatives are in their packs (there are hundreds of them) as when we moved home all the negs found their way into a large box and the contents of each pack was not recorded. (I have to say here that person was not me I am more concerned about my pictures to do that.) Now I have a digital camera I have no problems. Once I get a scanner (hope Santa is reading this) I will copy the ones I think worth storing on the PC.
Lighthouselin
1st Assistant Keeper

Return to Lighthouse Photography