|

Reader's Photo of Point Cabrillo

A forum to post any lighthouse pictures you'd like others to see. Feel free to talk about lighthouse photography. Lighthouse-related photos (such as LSS and lenses) are also welcome.

Postby Grover » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:02 am

From The Sacramento Bee ... http://www.sacbee.com/travel/story/2386460.html

For all it isnt, I do still like ths picture ... yet why, if
the photographer didnt, why wouldnt the newspaper
at least level the shot?

... and a personal peeve? I hate picnic tables that
close to the structure ... the idea is right, the placement
is wrong ...

"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby CHUCKX53 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:54 pm

I like the shot too...... :D

Far as the picnic tables go, the picnic tables should go....Far, Far, away.
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby wheland » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:26 am

I understand the reasoning for the picnic tables to be elsewhere but unfortunately life is sometimes messy.

I know that for some a photo is only viewable if there is nothing extra in it- like people in a photo of a lighthouse.

I think that both types of shots have thier faults and good points. Sometimes a photo with only a lighthouse or some other object of devotion can seem to be too sterile to me - other times it's a thing of beauty.

Go figure.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Grover » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:19 am

Dennis ...

Maybe just me, but I can out wait people if that is what I choose to do ... With the
the digital age upon us, while at Cana Island in October, I waited for an elderly
couple as they hunched over their camera and reviewed what seemed to be every
picture taken since Adam and Eve ... seconds felt like minutes but it was my choice
to wait or walk about and come back to that spot ...

On the other hand, while I do see picnic tables as an invitation to visit, an amenity,
it is their placement that often irks the bejeezus out of me ... they arent natural, they
arent indigenous, and they interrupt the feel the setting evokes. It isnt the photo that
becomes "messy," it is for me, the experience.

In your photo they can, as Ross has said, "be taken care of." In your memory, they are
always there ...

Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:38 am

Grover wrote:...
Dennis ...

Maybe just me, but I can out wait people if that is what I choose to do ... With the
the digital age upon us, while at Cana Island in October, I waited for an elderly
couple as they hunched over their camera and reviewed what seemed to be every
picture taken since Adam and Eve ... seconds felt like minutes but it was my choice
to wait or walk about and come back to that spot ...

On the other hand, while I do see picnic tables as an invitation to visit, an amenity,
it is their placement that often irks the bejeezus out of me ... they arent natural, they
arent indigenous, and they interrupt the feel the setting evokes. It isnt the photo that
becomes "messy," it is for me, the experience.

In your photo they can, as Ross has said, "be taken care of." In your memory, they are
always there ...

Barry,

While I don't disagree with you - I do.

In reality the lighthouse isn't "natural" in the photo either. It was placed there as well- and picnic table afficiandos might complain about it taking away from thier idol. (Tounge firmly in cheek her- of course).

My basic point is that photos should sometimes be just a true representation of what is there- yes sometimes that's mesy sometimes it's not totally pleasing but then agin reality often isn't.

I also like to get as clean a shot of any lighthouse- and have been known to moan that why couldn't that person park that damned car a few feet further to the right or why is that picnic table there or why did they build the lighthouse on a cliff where it's impossible to get a shot of the front or the back or the side.

I've also often just grinned and beared it and went on to the next lighthouse and hoped for a better picture.

The above all said- the placement of the picnic tables in the photo is really annoying. :D

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:12 pm

I don’t like people in my shots -- at all. I go for the ‘Lonely Sentinel’ sort of look, and tourists just don’t fit into that category…..I have spent hours ‘outwaiting people’ to get a decent shot….I have had to learn a lot of patience, and sometimes it pays off. Sometimes I can ‘hide’ people behind other objects, like the light, or in extreme cases, will politely ask if they will move.

Try getting a good-weather shot of a place like Grand Haven in July ‘people free’….It was difficult, but I’ve done it….Many of the lights on the lakes I’ve had to return to over the past decade to re-shoot, some for weather conditions, and at times, I’ve just had to pack it in and try another time….But if the weather holds, I can wait ( I waited 4 hours at Ft. Niagara for those stupid tour buses to leave)…And the farther away from home I am, the longer I’m willing to wait.

As for objects, I don’t much care for them being there…I feel they detract from the overall feel of the shot….But outside of moving them out of the way, I don’t have a choice in the matter except to try to come back another time…I will take what shots I can and move on…..

But Dig this…I have this killer shot of Tawas, sunlit with an approaching monster storm behind it…But, down in the far-left hand side of this shot, is this stupid-looking blue dumpster….However, I use that photo because, if I lived up there for years, I would never be able to get a shot just that neat…The conditions existed for less than 2 minutes before the whole thing was shrouded in shadows…And I would never be able to replicate them.

I know, there’s Photoshop….I just don’t feel like ‘cheating’…….
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Postby Grover » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:04 pm

Dennis ... Chuck

To our collective points ... this morning ... in the snow ... this morning ... in Erie, Pa

Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby wheland » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:22 pm

I like the placement of the picnic table in this photo- now people would look out of place. :D

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby CHUCKX53 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:39 pm

Now, That's For Real...... =))
LIVE LONG AND PROSPER
CHUCKX53
Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Photography