|

Lightship in Newport Harbor

A forum to discuss Life Saving Stations and Lightships.

Moderators: vacastle, beachbum1616

Postby tinypiney » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Today I was in Newport, Rhode Island, and was crossing the Newport-Claiborne Pell bridge and caught a glimpse of both Rose Island and Goat Island lighthouses, but in between them was a lightship... I couldn't catch the name, but it had two masts and was red and I think had "reef" on the end of its name. I cannot find any names of lightships in Rhode Island and it isn't shown in the satellite view of the area. Does anyone have any idea about this lightship? :-k
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby Grover » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:32 am

Tiny ... I was through there last fall

"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 am

I swear the name was longer and that it was "[something] Reef"...I may be wrong...
"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships."
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby tinypiney » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:18 pm

I was only able to get one picture and it is horribly blurry... but it looks like two words doesn't it?
Attachments
rsz_345.jpg
rsz_345.jpg (39.55 KiB) Viewed 5460 times
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:11 pm

You are correct. It is two words. The words are "NANTU KET". The letter "C" is painted on a starboard side door that opens to the deck below the main deck. The door was open when you photographed the lightship. There are a couple of Nantucket Lightship starboard side photos that may be seen on Google images that show the missing "C" with the door open and with a boarding ladder just forward of the opening, and also show the white floats or floating fenders in the water below the door that also may be seen in your photo.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Dave ... that's such a great response ... thanks!
"There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu,
Eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.

No one knows how many humdingers
there are in a lollapalooza."
Grover
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:38 pm

I appreciate the response, Island. It helped a lot. :mrgreen:
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:01 pm

A close-up view of the starboard side opening may be seen at the bottom of this webpage. http://www.uscglightshipsailors.org/nantucket_lighhtship_612.htm
Apparently this feature may have been added to facilitate restoration and the conversion of the main deck area to accomodate guests. It does simplify people access from the dock. It appears in this photo that the door opens outward to the left covering the "U" but the letter "U" is duplicated on the inner side of the door.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Look what I found in Boston Harbor - another Nantucket lightship!
Attachments
rsz_img_0532.jpg
rsz_img_0532.jpg (65.99 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Postby island » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 pm

"Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse while all the others were making ships." Why not in a second empty bottle a lightship?? :)

The Nantucket at Boston the LV-112 was the replacement lightship for the Nantucket that was struck and sunk in 1934 by the RMS Olympic (sister ship of the Titanic). The LV-112 was the largest U.S. lightship, one of eleven that served on the Nantucket Shoals and for 39 years, the longest serving at this station. The Nantucket at Newport is the LV-612 that replaced the LV-112 in 1975.

From 1979 to 1983 the LV-613 (formerly Ambrose) became Nantucket II and alternated duty at Nantucket Shoals with LV-612. This was the last U.S. lightship station and that came to an end on December 20, 1983 when the lightships at this station were replaced by a Large Navigational Buoy.

This site below contains an account of the good and not so good life aboard a lightship written by CHBOSN James B. Gill, USCG ret, Commanding Officer of the LV-612 from 1960-63. http://www.radiocom.net/TUK/
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tinypiney » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:35 am

Good idea, Island :D . And thanks for the info, it's quite interesting.
-Charles Simic
-Benjamin Franklin
tinypiney
Head Keeper

Return to Life Saving Stations & Lightships