|

Maine Lighthouses: Documentation of Their Past

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby island » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:56 pm

Maine Lighthouses: Documentation of Their Past by J. Candace Clifford and Mary Louise Clifford.

This book is exceptional! It is based almost exclusively on primary source material from National Archives documents and correspondence containing first hand accounts by keepers, supervisors, engineers, contractors, administrators and others directly connected with the construction, administration, operation and manning of Maine light stations, buoy depots, and lighthouse tenders from the beginning of the federal involvement in lighthouses to when the service was transferred to the Coast Guard. Maine Lighthouses contains numerous historic photos and includes copies of original lighthouse construction drawings. This is a fabulous book. It is unique.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby plebetkin » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:43 pm

has it hit Borders and Barnes and Noble yet?
good friends mean good times
plebetkin
Lighthouse God

Postby plebetkin » Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:19 pm

checked Barnes and Noble last night. It's not due out to late spring (April)
plebetkin
Lighthouse God

Postby island » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:32 pm

If you search Google for "Maine Lighthouses Documented", three sites for this book can be found: the authors' site, Lighthouse Digest and Claflin where advance copies of this book are apparently available. The copy I have was sent to me by Candace Clifford for my having made contributions to this project, though really very minor.
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby plebetkin » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:58 am

thanks. I'll look to these sites to see if I can get a copy now. Sounds like the book will have a lot of useful information rather than be another book of pretty pictures.
plebetkin
Lighthouse God

Postby epona » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:12 pm

It is hard to decide what books are worth buying. The recommendation of a book with words like "exceptional, fabulous and unique make me want to track this book down. It sounds like this book has some depth to it.

I do wonder how many members on this site have made contributions to books or lighthouse projects.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby island » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:36 am

Must-have source for lighthouse scholars

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/audie ... view.shtml
island
Lt. Commissioner

Postby shirin » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:01 am

I knew there was something I forgot to do at the Lighthouse Conference - I completely forgot to purchase a copy from Candace while she was there. :(
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives