|

Great Laker magazine, Oct.-Dec. 2004 issue.

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby Bill Edwards » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:25 am

Just came in the mail today. Great stuff from Gary as usual.

Is it me or is the Great Laker section of the tandem publication with Great Lakes Seaway Review, getting smaller? This issue had about 45 pages for the Seaway Review part, where the Great Laker section had only about 20 pages.
Bill Edwards
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:32 pm

I've got the last year or so worth of issues, Bill, I'll have to take a look and see if there is a trend developing. I know Michelle the CEO of Harbor House and know she didn't acquire Great Laker to do it in. Could just be the ebb and flow of articles and advertising...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Bill Edwards » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:14 pm

I went back into my collection, to the summer of '02. As a stand-alone magazine, it was in the upper 30's to lower 40's in page count The first combined issue gave GL'r about a 30 page count. Since then about a 22 page count, up to the current issue.

I'm not throwing any stones, just noticing I'm getting less for my subscription than before. True, we are getting the addition of the other magazine... but not as much of GL'r as before.
Bill Edwards
Keeper

Postby Gary Martin » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:14 pm

Bill, I'm in almost constant e-mail dialogue with Michelle because of the articles I'm doing for Great Laker. I'll pass on the observation and see what she says.
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:03 pm

I'd also be curious to see what Michelle has to say on that one Gary. You know my feelings on the issue....

As for this latest spread, can you post a shot of it?
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:59 pm

Mike, Is this a good magazine. Never hard about this one. "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:37 am

Mike, it's on my website and is a fairly big file. Too big to fit conveniently on here without a lot of scrolling, but here's the link:

http://www.coastalbeacons.com/HarborHou ... Dec_04.htm
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:40 pm

Well Boats, I liked it much better when it was a stand alone magazine. Very solid content about the great lakes region from a recreational standpoint. When they were assimilated into Harbor House, they were combined with the Great Lakes - Seaway review, which is a trade publication for shippers, harbor and port people, etc.... I'm not crazy about putting the two together, never was. To me it seemed to relegate Great Laker to an afterthought, and I also noticed that it seemed to be getting smaller.

It wouldn't have bothered me if Great Laker sucked in the first place, but I have always liked it.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Gary Martin » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:39 pm

I traded a couple of e-mails with Michelle the CEO of Harbor House today.

1st, there are absolutely no plans to do in GL. She said there will be fluctations in the overall size of both components of the combined publication due to variations in story lengths, the ups and downs in the number off advertisers and so forth.

As for not being the "front" cover portion of the combined publication, I guess I can kind of see where Harbor House was coming from. To keep mailing costs down, it made better sense to combine the two. From the standpoint of revenue generated by advertising, Great Lakes & Seaway Review is in about year 33 of publication. To keep advertising money coming in, it makes good sense to keep that one the way those people are used to seeing it.

Probably the best thing to do is for people to subscribe and as subscribers, start asking for more GL component to the joint publication. Subscription holders, I'm sure, have a louder voice than people grumbling about what once was after they let their subscription lapse.

Just my thoughts on the subject for what they're worth...
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:17 am

Hmmm.... I detect that was directed at me. I do see your point, I've been considering renewing my subscription, cause I really do miss getting the magazine.

But on the other side, the reason publishers listen to grumbling subscribers is to keep them from being grumbling FORMER subscribers. It business, a lost customer is the last thing anyone wants, and when a customer is lost, businesses usually want to know what drove them away.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby boats » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:26 am

Well I got an ear full reading all sides. I did look over the site last night, was in it for over an hour. What I see is hard line reading and if you live in the area you may know what is being said. Then again I see lots of history in the lakes with it's ship history on top. I never sailed in the Lakes so I did find some good reads. Will look over the site some more again tonight. Having sailed at sea for 31 years and never sailed in the lakes is good reading for me. I had a chance to get on a ship in the lakes once, but the open ocean was more money. "Boats"
boats
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Gary Martin » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:48 am

Actually, Mike, there are a number of people that I know who let subscriptiions lapse when GL was bought by Harbor House. From talking with Neil though, if Michelle hadn't bought them out, there wouldn't be a GL at this point. Neil and his partner were getting overwhelmed with the production aspects of it all. For that matter, my own subscription may have lapsed for an issue. At any rate, it's easier to change a system when you're a part of it, so.....
Gary Martin
Lighthouse Master

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:33 pm

I know that Gary is "cruising" right now (Happy Anniversary, Linda and Gary!!!), but I wanted to let him know that The Great Laker is using his St. Joe cover for promotion on its flyers for subscription renewals!

Gary, your photos really DO get around!!! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives