|

In the mail....

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby beachbum1616 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:58 am

the other day, I received a new copy of the book North Carolina Lighthouses, A guide for all existing lighthouses by Bruce and Cheryl Roberts from the OBLHS. My assumption is that all members will be receiving it if you haven't already.

I have a copy of the original edition (with a snowy Bodie on the front), and it was the first lighthouse book that Christina and I purchased when we got started. While the first one was good, I like the new and updated photos in this one, although some of the photo are from the original edition.

The one criticism I have is that there is no mention of the Roanoke River lighthouse, except for the one line listing on the inside of the back cover and a vague, one line mention, in the book. I am not sure why they chose not to include it.

But IMHO, one would think that given the situation this particular light was in, leaving it out of the book does more harm than good. If i didn't know better, I wouldn't know that it really still exists and wouldn't have enough information to go and find it.

Anyway, for all you OBLHS folks out there, be watching the mail!
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby beachbum1616 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:01 am

I forgot to mention that the book includes two of Brent's wonderful drawings of the Price's Creek range lights.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby shirin » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:23 am

I received mine the other day too. Many thanks to Beth for taking on the huge task of mailing the newsletters and stuff like this booklet out to all of the OBLHS members. Keeping the membership roster for the group, I know that the mailings are no small task.

I too would have liked to see the Roanoke River light mentioned in the booklet as well.
shirin
Lt. Commissioner

Postby buster » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:19 am

I received my copy also from OBLHS,Beautiful :D
Buster
NELL/ALF Member
buster
Inspector

Postby Ross » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:31 am

Knowing Bruce and Cheryl, I don't think there was any purposeful reason to keep it out of the book, but I can think of some reasons they may have wanted to.

It's not on the website, either.
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby beachbum1616 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:41 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention that it's not on the web site either. There must be something that we don't know about.
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives