|

Portland Head Light’s History Saved In New Book

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby Paul » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:57 pm

:D Portland Head Light’s History Saved In New Book 8)

Business

http://tinyurl.com/eqo5c

My best, :D
Paul Conlin
ALF Secretary
Help Keep Ken Black's Dream Alive
Join or Make a Donation Today!

Maine Lighthouse Museum
One Park Drive P.O. Box 1116
Rockland, Maine 04841

(207) 594-3301

www.MaineLighthouseMuseum.org
Paul
Assistant Inspector

Postby epona » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:44 am

Paul,

I had already heard about this book. This reminds me I need to go up the Portland Head Lighthouse, I mean I am only like 12 miles or so from it. At some point I would like to see this and other Lighthouses in the area at night.

I kind of admit that so far my favorite lighthouse in Maine is the one at Cape Porpoise. I just love seeing it at dusk and when the lights in lighthouse and it's keeper house come on. In addition I discovered a place to photography it from, but the light is never correct to do so.

Carole

Carole
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby tekkybob » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:39 am

I go to Portland Head Light as often as I can. I used to go there as a child and play. Theres lots of good times there growing up. I like to go back on the 4th of July every year for the fireworks in Portland. As a matter of fact, I'll be there this weekend. Maybe we can stop at a few lights on the way and update some pictures. I keep forgetting about the island lights around Biddeford, Kennebunk etc the way.
tekkybob
Keeper

Postby epona » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:28 am

Bob just made some good comments.

People when they come to Maine tend to forget about some of the lighthouse a bit south of Portland. For example Wood Island Lighthouse - which is in Biddeford and will be starting to take tours out to the island later this week. Biddeford Pool (or as we locals call it the Pool) is a wonderful place. I will put a plug in for a shop called the Red Geranium II phone number 207 -284-4900. The owner is very nice and supports lighthouses. The shop is next to Vines Landing, which where you park to go over to Wood Island Lighthouse.

By now everyone knows my love of Cape Porpoise. O.K. so the restaurants are a bit pricey. Depending on the tide and how much bait is in the big place, company that sell the stuff - it is a bit stinky. This is the real Maine after all. Working lobster boats and everything else.

Carole and of course Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives