|

2008 Lighthouse calendar (kinda early)

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby Hersh » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:07 pm

Hey all, for those of you who live near to a Michael's craft store.... (you can find out with this store locator link) http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?template=search&client=michaels
You can go there and find a heck of a deal on a nifty lighthouse calendar for next year. I won't say who's photos are in this calendar, but I will say that he lives in my house and is married to my wife. :D Ok, it's my calendar, and I'm really jazzed about it!!! I just went down to Target and decided to check in at Michael's next door to see if just by some chance the new calendars had come in yet, and sure enough, there they were!! The clerk told me that they'd just come yesterday, so my timing was fortuitous.

All in all I'm happy with the printing; the colors are pretty close to what I gave them, I just wish it was on heavier paper. But for the price they're asking I can't really complain. I guess when you print 100,000 copies you can afford to sell cheap.

They also were to make a smaller wall calendar and a pocket planner with the same photos, but they didn't have any of those at my local store. The clerk said they might still be packed up in the stock room, but she couldn't say for sure. I'll scout out some other stores as I travel and see if I can find them.

My thanks to Gary, not only for teaching me how to use my camera in the way I always wanted, but for helping me through the business end of this particular deal. Every e-mail I got during the negotiation process I forwarded to Gary, and his learned advice helped me to make the deal a cinch. I appreciate it, Mad Scientist.
Mike Hershberger
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur

http://www.harbor-of-refuge.com
Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:25 pm

I just checked out where one is in this area. I found one in Scarborough Maine, which north of me and south of Portland. I will give them a call tomorrow and have them save me one. I was in that area yesterday - to bad I did not know about the calendar then.

I already have a place in mind to put it up.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Grover1 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:20 pm

Holy Schenidies ...

... There's one of those shops at 1342 Hooper Ave in Toms River ...
... One of my stores is at 1336 Hooper Ave in Toms River ...

Next day scheduled is Friday ... I'm sensing just a tiny detour on the way in ... Already cannot wait to tell all that "I know the person who did that"

Nothing but wishes for great success with this endeavor ...
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:29 am

The closest store to me is in Pittsburgh, but I will find a way to get one! This is definitely a "must have". :D

Congratulations, Mike!!!!! And to think I knew you BEFORE you had your own calendar........ :wink:

PS: Gary's influence definitely shows, Mike! No better mentor, I do know that! I hope The Mad Scientist is having a wonderful Nova Scotia adventure right now. He has sure earned it!
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Larry » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:57 pm

I'll keep an eye out for it Mike. My artsy-fartsy daughter is always looking for excuses to go to Michaels. She makes up and excuse every few days. Oops, out of white paint again!
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby Hersh » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Thanks for the good wishes all, it's great being able to share this with all of you. For those that get one, I hope you enjoy it.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby epona » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:15 am

I spoke with the Dept. Manager of the Arts and Crafts of Michael's in Scarborough yesterday. They had just gotten a huge shipment in of various items. I have to call them this afternoon Friday 7/6/07 if calendars where included in this shipment.

Larry - I am one of those artist people. I do not know old your daughter is but I think it is great that she wants to do arts and crafts projects. Would you like her to sit and watch TV all day or be on the computer of hours on end doing and talking to who knows what.

Carole AKA Epona
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Larry » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:40 am

Don't get me wrong, Carole. We FULLY support her passion for art. It is her life. She is 17 and will be attending Maryland Institute College of Art in the fall. I was joking about always needing something at Michaels. We like it when she creates her art.

Mike, I'm curious about this project. Did you approach the publisher or did they come to you?
Larry
Larry
Inspector

Postby epona » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:58 am

Larry - I kind of figured your where supportive of your daughter.

I just got a call from the Michael's - the calendars that came in are small 5'' by 5" ones. They have Mike's name on the back. No big calendars with Mike's name on them. Heather is setting aside 5 of the small ones for me. She did say that they will be getting more calendars in and that they restock them until Christmas.

Oh the huge Christmas Tree Shop is next door to the Michael's - the stores are on the South Portland line.
epona
Lt. Commissioner

Postby Hersh » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:06 pm

Carole, I'm glad you'll get the small ones, I hope to get those shortly.

Larry, I actually was approached by the publishing company out of the blue. The guy sent me an e-mail asking if I license my images, and if so, would I be interested in doing a calendar. You know what my answer was, and from there it was just a simple e-mail negotiation to hammer out the details. What it all boils down to is, I sent them a CD with a few hi-res images on it, and they sent me a check. Pretty nice. :D
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby ericlighthouse » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:54 pm

Very cool. 8)
President of Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation, Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse, member and EVP of Florida Lighthouse Association and member of other lighthouse groups.
ericlighthouse
Assistant Inspector

Postby beachbum1616 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:54 am

Mike,

That is just awesome news! We don't have a Michaels here, but I know there at least two in Charlotte. I will have to run in and check them out when I go down that way next time.

I wonder how I could get an autographed copy :?: :-k :)
Stephen

beachbum1616
Lighthouse Master

Postby Hersh » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:11 pm

Hmmmmm... I'm sure that could be easily done.
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Postby Biggy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Congratulations, Mike! It's certainly not a bad thing to have a Mad Scientist helping you out, either! Awesome!

Now, tell me ... You mentioned Target. Am I to assume I can find this calendar either at Michael's or Target? And where else besides those two stores? And what's the name of this calendar I'm looking for?

You darn well I'd ask the tough questions ... LOL :D
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Hersh » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:44 am

I mentioned Target because our Target is right next door to Michael's. No other correlation there, it's only available at Michael's. The calendar has a fairly unique name - "Lighthouses". :D
Mike Hershberger

Hersh
Lighthouse Master

Next

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives