|

The Lighthouses of Massachusetts

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby Keeper » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:30 pm

My new book, "The Lighthouses of Massachusetts," has just been released. The book is 466 pages and has 61 chapters covering the history of every lighthouse in the state, past and present. As always, I've focused on the human history of keepers and their families. The book is the third in the Lighthouse Treasury series published by Commonwealth Editions; the first two covered the lighthouses of Connecticut and Rhode Island.

This book has special meaning for me, since I lived for nearly 40 years on the Massachusetts coast. These lighthouses are like old friends.

You can order the book through my site at http://lighthouse.cc/books/jeremy.html. I'm offering a special deal if you order copies of all three books in the series.

Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Keeper » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:26 pm

Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Postby Biggy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:43 pm

Very cool, Jeremy! Congratulations on getting that huge piece of work done. Being a writer by trade, I know doing historical chronicles is a lot different than what I'll be doing as a photographer pretty soon (from a publishing standpoint, anyway). I'll have to check out this book, because I'm sure I can learn a lot from it, especially since you wrote it! :D
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby Leah Loar-Mays » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:55 am

Jeremy is definitely THE Source when it comes to New England lighthouses!! I became an avid reader of The Lighthouse Digest many years ago because of his articles and photos. And his books are MOST excellent! :D
Leah
Leah Loar-Mays
Lighthouse Master

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:35 am

I'd like to add that sometimes you'll hear people say that there are "a lot of lighthouse books on the market" or "it's been done before", but I have also seen a lot of well-known authors miss a lot of important detail or even get data absolutely wrong. Jeremy's work is THE source for New England Lighthouses, there is no other that can claim accuracy to the degree of his work.

No, he did not give me 20 bucks. :) Seriously, these books are that good, I'm looking forward to the Maine edition!
Ross
LH.net Administrator

Postby Keeper » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:38 am

Thanks for the kind words. I've certainly tried to make my work comprehensive and accurate. Many errors have been repeated in book after book because many authors don't go to the source materials at the National Archives and elsewhere -- they simply repeat material from other books. I've made errors like anyone else, but I try my best to minimize them. I also try to include as many human interest stories as I can, because that's what I (and hopefully other people) find the most interesting.
Keeper
Assistant Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives