|

"On Eagle's Beak"

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby Grover1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:37 am

From Newsday

"On Eagle's Beak: A History of the Montauk Point Lighthouse," by Henry Osmers

"I was born in Brooklyn in 1949 and moved to Elmont in 1955," Osmers says. "I received a master's degree in history at C.W. Post College in 1977. I married Terri in 1972, and we moved to Shirley with our daughters, Karyn and Jennifer, in 1987.

"I first visited Montauk Point as a youngster in 1957, which firmly embedded the image of the lighthouse in my mind. Our fondness for Montauk led Terri and me to visit there often. Consequently, it was not surprising that when the Montauk Point Lighthouse Museum was looking for tour guides in 2001, I seized the opportunity and was soon giving presentations to visitors on lighthouse history.

"By 2004, I had developed an insatiable appetite to learn much more about the history of the lighthouse. At Terri's urging, my research culminated in ... ['On Eagle's Beak,'] published in January.

"As the first book written solely about Montauk Lighthouse, 'On Eagle's Beak' tells how the lighthouse was built, the lives of its keepers, harsh weather conditions, shipwrecks, erosion at the Point, and accounts of visits long ago. It begins with a brief description of Montauk history and ends with how the Lighthouse Museum was created.
Believe those who search for the truth ...
Doubt those who find it ...
Grover1
Lighthouse God

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives