|

In case anybody cares ....

Have you come across a good book, story or narrative regarding lighthouses, keepers, or lighthouse-related material? Share it here.

Postby Biggy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:37 pm

The latest "I Want to Win the Book" Contest is up on my site, www.biggysphotosetc.com. Judy Castleberry won the last contest.

Also on the site is an announcement about the upcoming arrival of my book, which is scheduled for an April release and can be pre-ordered on several of the big bookstore chain sites. Of course, I soon will begin taking pre-orders directly through my site as well, but if you can't wait until next month that's fine with me. But anyway ... for those who want to at least see what the cover will look like (I didn't select the cover photo, by the way -- that was the publisher's job), it's there too.

Happy New Year! :D
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby wheland » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:00 pm

Simple question- which way do you get the most money in your hot little hands?

I think there is a bit of a tricky twist to your latest contests questions.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Postby Biggy » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Hello Dennis ... Good to see you answering the questions to the contest. Don't tell about the "tricky twist" either. 8O

As for your first question, there's no doubt that when an author other than the most famous and hottest on the market (not me, that's for certain) buys copies of their book from the publisher, at whatever discounted rate they get it, and then sells it on his own, that's where the author will make the most per book.

With the way the contract is set up, there's no true way to determine what an average profit per book would be for me, because the royalty schedule is devised around many factors and the percentages on my return are reflective of different percentages for domestic wholesale sales, domestic book club sales, international sales, etc. So for me to say I'd make an average, let's say, of $3 or $4 per book sale, that probably wouldn't be accurate, especially since I don't know the print run (the publisher reserves the right to withhold such information for various reasons). When I start seeing royalty checks come in the mail (bi-annual) based on market sales, I may be able to better determine that average profit per book, but for now I'm not really too concerned to know.

Still, it's safe to say that if I buy the book at 45% off and sell copies through my site at 20% off the retail price, I'm going to be making more than what most of the royalty schedule dictates, with the exception of a few potential occurences.

Did I answer your question, Dennis? LOL :lol:
David
------------------------------
Check out www.biggysphotosetc.com for updates on David's upcoming book, Lighthouses: Maine to Florida, scheduled for an April release by Schiffer Publishing.
Biggy
Assistant Inspector

Postby wheland » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:17 pm

David,

You confirmed what I thought about purchasing the book.

I'd suggest that we all buy our copy direct from the author- itwon't break any of us.

Dennis
wheland
Inspector

Return to Lighthouse Books, Stories, & Narratives